Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 21, Spring 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	45CA2F12-37A9-4A95-96CD-900CB739B585.jpeg
Views:	420
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	1022753Click image for larger version

Name:	B5F015E7-B81B-4F32-86E5-B4A089694E7E.jpeg
Views:	383
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	1022754Click image for larger version

Name:	DDC26A1B-4C99-4762-8A2C-CBB3B229F001.jpeg
Views:	391
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	1022755Click image for larger version

Name:	AEC4E31F-A3BF-4962-A99E-63378447D56E.jpeg
Views:	381
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	1022756

Wagyu filet cooked sous vide, then seared on a baking steel over my grill. Basted with sizzling Wagyu beef love. Blackened Brussels sprouts with pancetta. Mushrooms sautéed in a red wine reduction. Baked potato and Japanese sweet potato. Paired with a delightful Cabernet and my sweet bride. Gourmet living!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      It doesn’t get any better than that!

• MarkN
      MarkN commented
      Editing a comment
      This is one of the reasons my wife and I don't go out to restaurants all that much. With the right tools (and the right advice), one can do better at home.

Just a quick Sunday night Cook. Grilled smoked deer tenderloin. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210425_175859.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1022791

Comment

Double smash burger with cheese.

Name:	20210425_181911~3.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1022864

Comment

Sitka crab cakes over radish micro greens and Tuscan style roasted artichokes (from our backyard).

BTW, I’m, like, totally not from California. 🤣

Name:	C74D0711-20B4-4B6D-AE98-141C1F739A72.jpeg
Views:	381
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1022869

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          ¡Orelay! 🤣 I’m from Chicago. been here about 20 years. i roll with snoop, drinkin’ my gin and juice in da LBC 🍹

And know that my comment is based on, like, a previous thread 🤣🤣
          Last edited by SheilaAnn; April 26, 2021, 09:45 PM.

• JakeT
          JakeT commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks hella good

• IdSmokeThat
          IdSmokeThat commented
          Editing a comment
          With your mind on your money and your money on your mind?

jfmorris inspired me with his chicken Shawarma, cook. I used the recipe from https://snsgrills.com/pages/chicken-shawarma but added some honey, and instead of salt used soy (per JF.) Marinaded overnight.
        Made pita from scratch using King Arthur's recipe (big tip in one of the comments of how to guarantee them to 'pop' up: place on racks in 500 degree oven, not on a stone) https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...a-bread-recipe . One of our daughters made hummus.

Delicious! Grandkids loved it deconstructed, adults put it together as pocket sandwiches. Greek salad made a great accompaniment today for leftovers.

Name:	IMG_7142.jpeg
Views:	359
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	1022878Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7145.jpeg
Views:	369
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	1022884Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7148.jpeg
Views:	364
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	1022887Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7151.jpeg
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	1022882Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7157.jpeg
Views:	370
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	1022881Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7167.jpeg
Views:	360
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	1022886Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7164.jpeg
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	1022885Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7168.jpeg
Views:	384
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	1022877Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7169.jpeg
Views:	372
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	1022880

Next day leftovers, with Greek Salad inside

Name:	IMG_7177.jpeg
Views:	371
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	1022879
        Attached Files

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          So perfect. Congrats!
          Kathryn

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow wow wow

• theroc
          theroc commented
          Editing a comment
          brilliant!

Picanha time.
        Attached Files

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Ooooooh ♥️♥️♥️

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't know which I admire most your cooking or your beer fridge so I'll call it great job on both!

Well, over the weekend I had thawed out a pack of 3 pound pack of Angus "stew beef" that was in the freezer, from Sam's Club. I had my 2nd COVID-19 shot (Pfizer) on Saturday, and wasn't sure if I would feel good or not Sunday (I felt fine). Originally thinking chili if I wasn't up to grilling, but decided to try it hibachi style instead... so an all day marinade for the meat, some rice, edamame, and frozen mixed veggies SWMBO found in the freezer made for a nice and easy meal. I love flat top cooking!

Gotta start with a beverage when manning a hot grill....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4980.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	2.39 MB ID:	1022963

This is when the onions and veggies and spices have about finished and have been combined and merged at the coolest of the 3 zones I had setup, and rice has hit the griddle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4986.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	3.78 MB ID:	1022964

And finally, combining everything, and fixing to throw down the eggs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4987.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	1.77 MB ID:	1022962

Sorry - no final photo or plated shots. I'm bad about that, as after spending 5 minutes scraping and wiping down the griddle, I was ready to start chowing down as soon as I went inside!

Lesson Learned on this Cook
        Don't pour a sugary marinade onto the hot griddle, as it tends to burn. I had honey in the marinade (a recipe I posted recently), and just poured the entire zip lock bag of meat and marinade onto the griddle. The marinade made a mess and wanted to scorch. I kept scraping black burned marinade off during the cook and tossing it out into the grass for the dogs to munch on. Sugary teriyaki sauces and such need to go on at the last minute, typically when you combine the stir fry. Soy sauce is fine during the entire cook, as it has no sugar to burn. You can see the mess on the right side that I had to clean up after the cook. It scraped up easily enough, but was a mess nonetheless.
        Last edited by jfmorris; April 26, 2021, 07:47 AM.

Comment

I made Meatheads smoked meatloaf tonight and it was good, I used 2# of moose burger, Meathead has yet to steer me wrong. We had garlic mashed potatoes and Cole slaw to go with it. Leftovers should be good tomorrow.

Name:	E92CAD3A-EBAD-4F02-A484-6E4137E6F59F.jpeg
Views:	411
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	1023253

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            I have always wanted to try Moose.

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Meatloaf sandwiches are the bomb dot com!

• Argoboy
            Argoboy commented
            Editing a comment
            I like moose meat better than venison and so does my wife, it is very lean meat. I stopped smoking at 160F and it was moist.

Smoked wings with salt, pepper, and baking powder. Half smoked naked and then tossed in homemade wing sauce (Louisiana hot sauce, butter, brown sugar). Other half smoked with homemade jerk sauce (green onion, garlic, ginger, scotch bonnet, all spice, cinnamon, brown sugar, molasses, lime juice, veg oil, thyme).

Name:	20210425_123403.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	1023257

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Baking soda?

• Zman23
            Zman23 commented
            Editing a comment
            SheilaAnn The baking powder helps crisp the skin. Baking soda works too, but Serious Eats says it can leave a metallic taste

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            SheilaAnn I use Smitten Kitchen's https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/01/baked-buffalo-wings/ recipe. Once I carelessly used baking SODA instead of baking POWDER, at her prescribed 1.5 tsp per lb. It was inedible. Horribly bitter. Had to toss 5 lbs of wings. So sad. The metallic issue has to do with whether to use baking powder made with aluminum (eg: Calumet), vs Rumford, which doesn't contain aluminum. But, Serious Eats notes the non-Aluminum bkng powder can discolor certain foods.
            Last edited by Dr. Pepper; April 28, 2021, 12:19 PM.

Apple smoked reverse seared char sui pork tenderloins.

Name:	20210426_173116.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	1023287

Comment

• Whiskeyman53
            Whiskeyman53 commented
            Editing a comment
            SheilaAnn, I didn't no, the pork was rubbed with a char sui dry rub from a local Asian market and sat for 10 hours taking in the flavor profile and color of the rub. I'm sure there is coloring in the rub that I bought.
            Last edited by Whiskeyman53; April 26, 2021, 09:56 PM.

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Whiskeyman53 copy that.... I asked because my char siu is never that red. While i love the color for "authenticity", I just don’t care to use the food coloring. Yours looks amaze-balls! Mine is not as bright.

• Dtax
            Dtax commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe Larry Bird and Kevin McCale WIIIIIILLL be walking through the door for that! Looks awesome - GO CELTICS!

I took some tenderized pork cutlets, cut them in half, pounded flat to about 1/4 inch thick, and battered them in HEB's frying flour. I fried them in Kerry Gold butter and served with red Hatch chili gravy.

Name:	pork steak.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	1023318

Comment

Almost forget to update the result of my first picanha try (see all the suggestions I got here) I decided to try a roast so I followed the Prime Roast Recipe (at the very bottom here) but I as you can see in the photos I didn't round the piece because it felt weird to me -- I did cut a steak to try it on a skewer but I didn't like the result, the skewer is too small compared to the ones in Brazil doesn't hold the meat right and it should be over the charcoal not on grate.

This is the result, I loved it and I want to try many more ways to make it. Temperature wise it wasn't perfect, but the taste was great.

Name:	IMG_6213.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	1023374Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	1023373

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice!

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks good to me!

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, perfection

Brisket Tacos went well this weekend. The KBQ continues to bring the people around. After owning it for 6 years now, it is still my favorite.

Name:	BFC6A9D0-0970-41CB-8070-2C3BDB004EED.jpeg
Views:	354
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	1023426

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! 250 F average, and it took about 7 hours or so. (Point was separated from the flat) JCBBQ

• fcy
              fcy commented
              Editing a comment
              7 hours is quick! I haven't tried brisket yet, I'm a bit afraid of the overnight cook. Spinaker Did you wrap in foil?

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Nope, hardly ever wrap. The KBQ is basically a wood fired, convection oven, so it tends to cook very quickly. fcy

Two pork butts today about 3.5lbs each
            Sucklebuster hawg Waller and my dry rub on them
            Smoking on theJealous Devil klflowers sent me for secret Santa, Thank you again....finally out of other charcoal....and pecan chunks
            Cool morning up here so hope the Keg will hang in the 300 range today
            Updates on the hour

Attached Files

Comment

• Andrrr
              Andrrr commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John oh I know it’s no cheap date. Im on my third bag and I love the stuff but it’s only brought out on special occasions. Feel like I’m burning gold

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Andrrr $38.99 for a 20 lb bag at the local BBQ Galore.
              It may turn out to be a cheap as a bag of Walmart Royal Oak, its usually $8.97 for a 8 lb bag .
              The fire died in my Keg and there is more than half of the charcoal remaining so I'm thinking I could have used less to achieve the same results.
              If my thinking is right one bag of JD may out perform 3-4 bags of RO in which case you don't mind spending the money on JD.

• Andrrr
              Andrrr commented
              Editing a comment
              smokin fool I haven’t used it for smoking in my WSCG since I have about a dozen Weber briq bags to use yet. Maybe I’ll like it better and decide to sell off my Royal Oak... wait, sorry, my Weber Briquette bags in exchange for some JD.

Chicken wings with the vortex. Love that thing! Definitely upped my wing game. Cabbage on the side....Total cook time was 4 beers. 🍺🍺🍺🍺
            Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              klflowers You ain’t got your plates yet!?! Damn USPS. In addition to what you mentioned, I’m also doing my steaks with it. I set it in the rear of the kettle, steaks off heat.... then the sear on top of the vortex. Works every bit as good as the Slow n Sear. The Vortex is actually what I’m using for most of my grilling now.

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              I like that cabbage too

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              RE: Vortex, an yardbird...

"Howdy! I'm Mr. Bones, an I approve this message!" lol!!!!
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 30, 2021, 09:54 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here