Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Barbecue Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raspberry Barbecue Sauce

Here’s a fun riff on the classic Kansas City sweet red barbecue sauce with an exotic undertone. You’ll know the raspberries are in there, but give a prize to the guest who can guess the secret ingredient that makes it so appealing. And the best part is this sauce is really quick and easy.

Liquid smoke is optional in this recipe, so let’s talk about it. Liquid smoke is a dominant player in the flavor profiles of most of most popular BBQ sauces: Sweet Baby Ray’s, KC Masterpiece, Bull’s Eye, Jack Daniel’s, Open Pit, etc. Many commercial meats, bacon, like hams, jerkies, and sausages are created with liquid smoke. It appears on labels as "Natural smoke flavor".

Without liquid smoke most people feel a barbecue sauce is missing something. Purists consider it an evil adulterant. It is simply smoke that has been cooled, gathered by a condenser, and aged in barrels. When smoke hits cold meat it condenses on the cold meat. The process for liquid smoke is pretty much the same as the way they make whiskeys. So if you know someone who derides liquid smoke, take away their Scotch.

This sauce is excellent without it but if you are a fan of the popular commercial sauces. Add it. It works.

Makes. About 2 cups
    Takes. 30 minutes

Ingredients
    1 cup ketchup
    ¾ cup Smucker’s Red Raspberry Jam
    ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
    1/2 teaspoon Morton’s kosher salt
    ½ teaspoon ginger powder
    ½ teaspoon garlic powder
    2 tablespoons liquid smoke (optional)

About the jam.I normally don’t specify brands and I do not accept endorsement offers. I call for the Smucker’s because it has a great natural flavor and it should be easy to find. Use it to replicate my recipe. Feel free to use another jam of your choice (blueberry and cherry are nice). Go for something without skins and seeds. Beware that it may be sweeter or less sweet than my choice so you may want to start with less and add more to taste.

About the hot sauce. I use Tabasco Chipotle. Use whatever you like, but Chipotle has an affinity for raspberry. In fact, this recipe is even better if you use chipotle in adobo sauce, but I did not include it because there are so many brands and they vary in flavor, acidity, and heat. If you use it, go easy at first and add more as you taste.

Method
    Add all the ingredients except the liquid smoke to a saucepan, whisk together, and simmer for 15 minutes. Sample it and adjust the ingredients to your taste. Want more heat, reach for the hot sauce. Want it sweeter, add sugar or more jam. Simmer a few more minutes. Then add the liquid smoke if you are using it. Pour it into a very clean bottle and store in the fridge for months.
    Last edited by Meathead; July 5, 2021, 10:14 AM.

Thanks, this sounds like a fun spin to try

Comment

I know I often use liquid smoke when I make BBQ sauces.

Comment

Sounds like another winner.

Comment

I will be making this---soon!

Comment

• skipsdaughter
            skipsdaughter commented
            Editing a comment
            Save some for me

Brilliant! Definitely want to try this with the chipotle hot sauce.

Comment

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            I went light on it. If you like it hot, double up.

Thanks. This sounds good and right up our alley. We have been using Vivian Howard’s recipe for blueberry bbq sauce and this should be another one to pull out when we want to give our guests something a little unique and surprising.

Comment

I don't use bbq sauces often but this one sounds to good to pass up. Thank Ya!

Comment

Would have loved to try this on my ribs yesterday. Our raspberry bushes are full and some homemade raspberry jam would have been fun to try this with.

Comment

• Meathead
                Meathead commented
                Editing a comment
                With fresh berries, I would squish them, cook them down, strain out the seeds, but then you are going to have to add sugar. Do it by taste, and play with multiple sugars. White, brown, honey, maple...

Sounds good to me. Will try it soon.

Comment

I’ve never been able to tolerate liquid smoke. BEWARE.......don’t even think about making a run for my whiskey!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh, we're coming for it. You can run, and you can hide, but the liquid smoke illuminati will have your whiskey!

• richinlbrg
                  richinlbrg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ohhh, no, Potkettleblack. The whiskey stays with me, and I’ll figure out how to move fast again!

• richinlbrg
                  richinlbrg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Truthfully, I’d try it again. Maybe I just don’t get a good brand, but somehow, it just has never left a good taste on my food for me.

I just made up a batch but we did not have an liquid smoke. I need to cook something to try this bbq sauce out next.

Comment

• Argoboy
                  Argoboy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The sauce is very good. I also made some blueberry Jalapeño hot sauce yesterday that is aging now, we found the recipe on line.

My son does a variation on this but uses either fresh blueberries or fresh raspberries.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1 on th blueberries; I make a homemade sauce with em...001BL, I'd haveta reckon...

• Meathead
                  Meathead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have done blueberries, but their flavor is kinda low key. Raspberry has more depth.

I have 6 racks of SLC ribs to cook in the morning, and they need something to put them over the top. Definitely will try this, liquid smoke and all. Thanks for this!

Comment

That sounds great.. I am thinking homemade raspberry rhubard jam instead.. mostly because that is something I have in my pantry!!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Rhubarb Rhocks, imo!
                    LMK how dat goes, pls?

• Backroadmeats
                    Backroadmeats commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mr. Bones I love rhubard too.. I also have blueberry rhubarb jam.. not sure which one to try first . I will keep ya in the loop when I get time to try!!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here