Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scallops With Black Garlic Butter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scallops With Black Garlic Butter

Click image for larger version  Name:	i-5Km7dZg-M.jpg Views:	1 Size:	108.0 KB ID:	646475

Scallops and butter. No brainer. Add garlic. Duh! But black garlic? Oh my. And please, don’t skip the kumquats. Tangerines or Cuties are good, but kumquats are great.

Makes. 4 appetizers or 2 entrees
    Takes. 5 minutes to prep, 5 minutes to sear
    Serve with. Rice pilaf, pasta, crusty bread or something that can be used to absorb any extra butter. You won’t want to waste a drop.

Ingredients
    16 large day-boat scallops, about 1 ½ ounces each
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Grapeseed oil or other flavorless, high smoke-point vegetable oil, such as canola
    8 kumquats or 4 small tangerines
    Black Garlic Butter Sauce https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...garlic-butters
    Smoked paprika, for garnish

Optional. If you want some spice, substitute chipotle powder for the smoked paprika.Another fun garnish: dulse or slivered seaweed. If you want to amp up the scallops, give them 10 minutes with a smoking gun either before grilling or after.

About the kumquats. If you can’t find them, try harder. If you still can’t find them you can cut tangerines or cuties into slices and then quarters.

Method
    1) Fire up. Warm 4 plates in a low oven. Get a grill screaming hot over direct radiant heat. Season both sides of the scallops very lightly with salt and pepper. Sear the scallops on one side until crusty and golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and sear for 1 minute only on the other side. The internal temp should reach 125 to 130°F.

2) Serve. Slice the kumquats and discard the seeds. Divide the sliced kumquats among warm plates and place the scallops crusty side up, on top. Immediately spoon on the chunky Black Garlic Butter Sauce. Scatter smoked paprika or chipotle powder over the top.

Wow, this sounds incredible. I am a huge fan of garlic, butter and scallops.

Comment

I am definitely going to give this a try. We have a local seafood purveyor across from the local farmer's market that has fresh Maine sea scallops 10-20/lb no additives or preservatives.

Comment

Awesome. Great recipe Meathead. I will definitely be trying this one out. My only concern is that my oven is mounted in the wall and is about 3 feet off the ground. Is that too high to warm my plates in??

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. You’ll need to put your toaster oven on the floor to accomplish this.

Oh wow. Got that one on the list to try real soon. Thanks.

Comment

Please add a warning about scallops with sodium tripolyphosphate (STP). Should be avoided because they won’t cook right. I’ve bought the wrong ones before and it sucks.

Comment

Sounds delicious!!

Comment

Meathead ,Looks great, the SnS seems to be made to order for this. Though unless you live in a a large metro area I'm guessing black garlic is going to be had to come by.
              Last edited by Missin44; May 11, 2019, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• Histrix
                Histrix commented
                Editing a comment
                Not hard to make your own black garlic and a helluva lot cheaper. Google will show the way.

Originally posted by Missin44 View Post
              Meathead ,Looks great, the SnS seems to be made to order for this. Though unless you live in a a large metro area I'm guessing black garlic is going to be had to come by.
              Agreed, had already Googled black garlic and saw how to make it. Not super excited about leaving a rice cooker or any heat generating appliance plugged in for 2 weeks, especially when not home. Maybe in middle of garage floor or somewhere away from the house

Comment

• DiverDriver
                DiverDriver commented
                Editing a comment
                Trust me make it in an Excalibur Dehydrator in the garage. Your house will smell like fermented garlic for weeks. One quart jar will last bout 2 years cooking time.

Perfect timing.
              A friend and myself were just talking about scallops the other day...guess I figured out that part of the menu.

Comment

I tried this on Saturday - LOVED IT!!! Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Garlic Scallops.JPG
Views:	1105
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	678425 - seared the scallops on the Hasty-Bake... ordered the Black Garlic on Amazon; kumquats are not to be found in the Piedmont Triad

Comment

• SmokingSteve
                  SmokingSteve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice presentation on such a pretty plate!

Meathead, I see the grapeseed oil in ingredients , but no mention of what to do with it?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here