Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Black Garlic Butters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Black Garlic Butters

Click image for larger version  Name:	i-svg53bx-S.jpg Views:	1 Size:	39.9 KB ID:	646470

Black Garlic Butter Sauce

Black garlic https://amzn.to/2ERubVV is a umami-bomb that was once rare and only seen in Asian kitchens, but is now the darling of restaurant chefs and adventurous home cooks. It is raw garlic that has been fermented and aged at a controlled warm temperature. When you chop it, it is sticky, almost tar-like, and full of slightly sweet, earthy and savory flavor, at once reminiscent of figs and rare fine balsamic. Once you try it you’ll fall in love! This mix of black garlic and butter made my knees buckle. Pour it over grilled seafood for starters (see my recipe for Black Garlic Scallops https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-garlic-butter).

Makes. About 3/4 cup
    Takes. 5 minutes

Ingredients
    8 large cloves black garlic
    3 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
    1/2 teaspoon Morton’s kosher salt

Method
    Thoroughly peel the black garlic, then mince the cloves. It will be like a chunky-sticky paste. In a small pan, melt the butter over low heat and add the zest, black garlic, and salt. Stir to distribute the garlic bits. Serve immediately or set aside for up to 1 hour. If desired, warm through very gently to get the butter flowing again.

Black Garlic Compound Butter

This compound butter is amazing on toast, English muffins, in a baked potato, use it to fry eggs, make a beurre blanc, top a steak or a filet of fish. The flavor is delicate and complex so don’t waste it in really flavorful sauces. or just about any other way you can think of using butter.

Makes. About 1/2 cup
    Takes. 5 minutes once the butter is softened

Ingredients
    12 large cloves black garlic
    8 ounces unsalted butter
    2 pinches Morton’s kosher salt

Method
    Take the butter out of the fridge and put it into a small bowl. Let it sit on the counter for an hour and come to room temp. Peel the garlic and drop the cloves into a food processor. Cut the butter into chunks and add it to the processor. Pulse on low power until it is blended thoroughly.

Yum!! At work we use a black garlic aioli on our burgers and it’s ..... fabulous! Thanks for this.

Comment

Yeehaw! I have to try this!!!

Comment

I gotta try this for sure. Garlic and butter might be my two favorite things!

Now, where do I find black garlic, locally?

Comment

I get it at our local farmer's market. Not sure of a bricks 'n mortar place to get it, Spinaker

I may be ordering some organic black garlic today from this site, which provides fermented black garlic sourced only from North America. They apparently have their own garlic fields in Wisconsin, for starters.

​Black Garlic North America™ is North America's largest producer of Black Garlic, committed to producing the highest quality Black Garlic and Organic Black Garlic products with an emphasis on food safety and sustainable methods.

FWIW, here's their sales blurb:

Why Shop With us?
          • Always Free Shipping - No Minimum Order.
          • We ONLY use North American sourced Garlic
          • Our process takes 120 days for each lot of product, we take it slow for the best possible flavor.
          • Each lot is tested for the healthful active component S-allyl-cysteine.
          • We guarantee S-allyl-cysteine content no less than 1.5 mg/g of product.
          • We have commercial availability of all of our products and service retail customers, distributors, and industrial clients.
          • Our business members have more than 50 years of experience in the food industry.
          • Kosher Certified.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; March 7, 2019, 08:51 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome! Thanks!

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            +1

• Chipshot7
            Chipshot7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Kathryn thanks so much for this link. My sample gift box order came in today and it is fantastic. What a quality product.

P.S. I like black garlic mayo in our egg salad sammies.

Kathryn

Comment

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            I eat a LOT of egg salad. Gotta try this!

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            That sounds amazing!

I bet this would be amazing in a butter burger . Yum

Comment

I have not heard of black garlic. I will definitely try this!

If you have not tried smoked salt.....give that a try!

Comment

Made the black garlic compound butter today. Tastes great but, um, I may have over mixed it! Click image for larger version

Name:	6B76BEC0-E873-4C90-A568-11225F768087.jpeg
Views:	879
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	684852

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Not a lot of eye appeal there.

Kathryn

• Reds Fan 5
                Reds Fan 5 commented
                Editing a comment
                fzxdoc Exactly! Glad this was a test run and I wasn’t planning to serve to guests!

I tried it with pappardelle pasta, using this recipe. Pretty meh but I think that was because the ratio of pasta to black garlic sauce was too high. Would be better with fettuccine, I'm thinking.

Kathryn

Comment

Wow! First time of hearing about black garlic. Got to try some.

Comment

I've heard of black garlic but never paid much attention. That's going to change. Thank you Meathead

Comment

Thanks for all this info. Was in a local eatery last week and they had a bulb for sale...$7. Never heard of this before.

Comment

The Noma Guide to Fermentation has instructions on how to make black garlic. I never heard of it until I read it in there. I haven't attempted it yet...

Comment

Meathead Bit late to this particular party...but that link is just a general listing of black garlic available on Amazon.
                        Is there a particular brand that you prefer?
                        I’ve made the scallops with black garlic butter...but used the first I could find...and I want "the best."
                        Looking forward to making Bob Belcher’s "Bet it All on Black" burgers in a couple weeks. (Yeah, that Bob Belcher. LOL)

Comment

• Meathead
                          Meathead commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have not tried many brands, and all I tried were awesome!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here