Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diffusion vs Osmosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diffusion vs Osmosis

Most of the cookbooks tell us that salt is pulled out of the brine and into the meat by osmosis, a phenomenon we learned about in high school when we were not napping and passing notes. Osmosis plays a role because when you brine the salt pulls myowater to the surface to dissolve the salt. It then diffuses into the meat by going through wide open pores, sliced muscle fibers, capillaries, and mixing with intracellular myowater. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 2.59.49 PM.jpg
Views:	39607
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	644433

Nice, simple, clear explanation. Kudos for following the KISS principle.

Comment

I knew that, I think

Comment

Thanks to you Meathead and your insights, this is exactly why I now "dry brine" all of my meats and try to go at least 24 hrs. To let the salt permeate as much as possible. Which in turns tenderizes the meat. Making it more flavorful.
        Whew. Am I talking out of my, well, or am I correct.
        Keep up the good work my friend and brother.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yer talking out of yer well. 🕶

When I was teaching anatomy and physiology at the college level I used to point out to my students that there were actually two concentration gradients, the concentration of solute and that of solvent.

In the diffusion illustration the solute (salt) is moving from high concentration to low concentration, i.e., down its concentration gradient, from right to left. At the same time the solvent (water) is moving down its own concentration gradient, from left to right.

In osmosis, whichever substance is able to cross the semi-permeable, or selectively permeable, membrane moves down (from high to low) its own concentration gradient.

In the osmosis illustration the solvent (water) is moving from a high concentration of water to a lower concentration of water, left to right. The net movement of water across the membrane will become zero when the hydrostatic pressure of the height of the fluid column on the right equals the osmotic pressure.
        Last edited by gcdmd; March 4, 2019, 06:10 AM.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m going through your post & everything is ok, yup, ok, & then the final sentence. I understood it, much to my surprise. Thanks.

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          FireMan the last sentence being "Last edited by gcdmd......."

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          I remember all of that!!!! Dang, I loved science. Thank you and all of my Profs/teachers.

I'm bringing this post to my next acid base balance class I have to teach to future paramedics. it was the hardest concept to understand because no one out it in these simple terms.

Thanks Meathead

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          reading that on acid might result in confusion.

Dang

Comment

The osmosis graphic text is confusing me. Based on the article text which made sense to me, it seems the graphic text should read that water moves from high to low. Or not? I think I will just go with the article which is clear to me.

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            As gcdmd said " In the osmosis illustration the solvent (water) is moving from a high concentration of water to a lower concentration of water, left to right. The net movement of water across the membrane will become zero when the hydrostatic pressure of the height of the fluid column on the right equals the osmotic pressure."

• johnmcq4
            johnmcq4 commented
            Editing a comment
            That makes sense to me. I just don't see that in the illustration. Maybe if the left and right image were swaped. Doesn't matter. We dry brine because it works very well.

Huh?

Comment

on this subject how about discussing store bought frozen turkeys with anywhere from 8 -15% injected mystery fluid, the labels show something I can't remember, brine and flavoring, whatever that is. should you brine the turkey at all in this case? I suspect the meat would reach equilibrium for salt and stop absorbing but would it be too salty to eat at that point?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here