Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Middle East Peace: Lamb Kebabs With Many Great Unified Flavors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middle East Peace: Lamb Kebabs With Many Great Unified Flavors

Click image for larger version  Name:	i-vV9Wqbq.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.53 MB ID:	623644

My friend, the great baker, Dorie Greenspan, published a wonderful cookie recipe in her book "Dorie’s Cookies" called World Peace Cookies because a friend told her that "if everyone in the world could have these cookies, there would be planetary peace."

I was so taken with the name that when we created this recipe with Israeli Couscous, a beadlike pasta, and Ras el Hanout, a spice blend popular in the Islamic world, I knew instantly what to name it. Dorie gave it her blessing.

Makes. 4 servings
    Takes. Dry brine 2 hours, 10 minutes to make the couscous, about 8 minutes for the lamb
    Special tools. Metal skewers

2 tablespoons Ras el Hanout
    1 ¾ pounds boneless leg of lamb, after it is trimmed of fat and gristle
    Morton’s kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 small white or yellow onion
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 (8.8-ounce) packages Israeli couscous, about 3 cups
    4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    ½ teaspoon white miso
    2 grilled peppers
    Pomegranate-Walnut Vinaigrette (see below)

About the lamb.You will probably need to buy 2 ½ to 3 pounds of lamb to get 1 ¾ pounds of meat after trimming. Maybe more if there is bone.

1) Prep. Cut the lamb into 2-inch cubes. We want large cubes so the surfaces can brown properly without overcooking the center of the meat. In a large bowl, toss the lamb cubes with ¾ teaspoon salt. Add the Ras el Hanout and make sure all the surfaces are evenly coated with the salt and spice mixture. Let stand for 2 hours.

2) Make the couscous. Finely chop the onion. Warm 1 tablespoon of oil in a saucepan on the side burner or indoors, over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the couscous; cook and stir until the couscous has just begun to pick up a little brow, about 6 minutes. Add the chicken broth and miso. Bring to a boil over high heat. Immediately reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pan, and simmer for about 8 minutes, until tender and all the liquid is absorbed.

3) Fire up.Set up your cooker for 2-zone cooking and aim for a little less than warp 10 at the grate level on the direct side.

4) Cook.Preheat a grill topper over direct heat. Coat the lamb cubes lightly with olive oil. Grill the lamb in the grill topper, lid up, flipping with tongs every 1 to 2 minutes, until crusty brown on the outside and pink within, 130 to 135°F.

5) Serve.Transfer couscous to a platter and top with cubes of lamb and the peppers. Drizzle the vinaigrette over all.

Pomegranate Walnut Vinaigrette

Makes.About 1 ¼ cups
    Takes.About 5 minutes

1 small shallot
    3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1 ¼ tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon honey
    1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1/3 cup walnut oil

\Mince the shallot. You should have about ¼ cup. Combine all the ingredients in a jar with a lid. Shake briskly just before serving.

Love the richness of grilled lamb. IMHO, grilling is the only way to balance the fattiness with the depth of flavor with lamb.

Comment

Looks delicious!

Comment

Wow the aroma is awesome!

Comment

I'm not a fan of lamb, so I'll probably give this recipe a try with beef cubes or maybe even chicken chunks instead. I like the idea of using Ras el Hanout as a rub. That vinaigrette recipe sounds like it would be great on salad as well. Thanks Meathead!

Kathryn

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            In Turkey, when they are concerned about tourists not liking lamb, they use veal. Of course, they also generally cook beef to 165 or so.

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            That vinaigrette has become my current favorite salad dressing.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here