Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Meatloaf/Burger/Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Meatloaf/Burger/Sausage

turkey meatloaf

This decadent meatloaf (when was the last time you saw a turkey recipe called decadent, or a meatloaf recipe called decadent for that matter) is, basically, a killer oversized turkey sausage or if you prefer, turkey burger. So if you wish, it can be stuffed into a casing or formed into patties. And I’m here to tell you, I hate turkey burgers. But this is different. Really.

Makes. 4 servings
    Takes. About 40 minutes to prep and chill, 60 to 70 minutes to cook
    Special tools. Small baking sheet

Loaf
    1/4 cup dried cranberries
    ½ cup inexpensive ruby port
    1 pound ground turkey
    4 ounces pancetta
    4 ounces gouda cheese
    1/2 small onion
    4 cloves garlic
    1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
    1 large egg
    1/2 teaspoon Morton’s kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons fresh sage (about 6 leaves)
    zest of 1 orange

Topping
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
    2 tablespoons real maple syrup

About the sage. You can use 1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage if you can’t find fresh.

1) Prep. Trim excess fat from the pancetta and chop it into about 1/4-inch or smaller squares. Chop the onion. Peel and mince or press the garlic. Beat the egg a little. Chop the sage into small bits. Cut the cheese cut into 1/4-inch or smaller cubes. Melt the butter and mix it into the panko. Soak the cranberries in the port for 20 minutes. Squeeze the cranberries and drink the port.

2) Loaf. Combine the turkey, pancetta, cheese, onion, garlic, egg, 1/3 cup panko, sage, zest, salt and pepper in a bowl and blend with your hands or a spatula. Pinch off a sample, fry in a pan, and taste to check the seasoning. If it is OK, form into a log about 3 1/2 inches thick. Poke any exposed cheese cubes deep into the loaf, smoothing over the craters. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, silpat, or aluminum foil. If you use foil, oil it well to keep the meat from sticking. Place the loaf into the pan. Brush the loaf with maple syrup and pat the panko mixture evenly onto the top.

3) Fire Up. Light your smoker and get it up to 225°F or set up your grill in 2-zones, get the indirect side to 225°F, and get some smoke rolling.

4) Cook. Place the pan with the loaf over indirect heat and roast until the internal temperature reaches 160°F. This will take about 1 hour and ten minutes, but let your thermometer, not your clock, be your guide.

5) Serve. Slice and serve. Put the sauce on the side if you made it, not on top (the panko will drink it all up).

Sounds great!

Comment

Your right, I don’t like turkey burgers or turkey sausage, buuuuuut, pancetta, Gouda cheese, a little port & all the other stuff makes it sound inviting. With smoke tossed in, it sounds worth tryin. 👍

Comment

Looks darn good to me..

Comment

Yum. I would not have said I like turkey burgers either, until I tried the thanksgiving turkey burger from the main site. Will definitely give this a try. Thanks.

Comment

I really like the drink the port part.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              We are men of the same ilk!

What does "squeeze the cranberries" mean or how is this done?

Comment

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              Ask your wife.

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              Umm, I gave you a smarty answer thinking it was a smarty question. But if you are serious, just pick them up with your hand and squeeze.

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, just pop those little suckers.

I was a chef in a sampling kitchen in Houston until I retired. I frequently substituted turkey in beef recipes and seldom did anyone notice. I would let customers know about the substitution and showed them the garbage can if they did not like the food. It was seldom used. In a top knotch recipe like this, it would be terrific, especially if it came with a shot of port.

Comment

What blend of lean/fat on the turkey? I’m partial to ground turkey breast bc I have bits of what feels like bone in the standard ground turkey.

Comment

• Panzer61
                Panzer61 commented
                Editing a comment
                I would guess you would go abit to the fatty side on the turkey. You’re cooking on a sheet so the grease can drain away from the loaf.

• Meathead
                Meathead commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry I missed this question. there isn't a lot of fat in turkey meat, so when I can I lean to dark meat, but I have aded enough other stuff to make it moist.

I mentioned this recipe to my wife who, for some reason, doesn't like to eat beef or pork two or three times a day - go figure. We will be trying it in the next month or so as she plans menus that far in advance. RE: substituting turkey for beef in some recipes; in college I loved the chili made in the mess hall. I was a senior before I found out it the meat in it was 80% turkey by weight with the other 20% being some combo of beef and pork. It didn't stop me from loving it.

Comment

Had my hopes up, roommate does not eat pork or beef

Comment

• jgreen
                  jgreen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Need a new roommate

I made this, I liked it. I did not dice the onions small enough and that affected my outcome, also I would maybe sautee them prior to adding to the mix next time. For me the cooking time was way off, I had to cook longer but the taste was awesome. I will try again.
                Last edited by SMOG MAN; January 8, 2019, 06:50 PM.

Comment

You lost me at turkey burger.... But I took a look at the recipie..... I'm sold, will give it a try and post back here!

Comment

Dont like Turkey burgers but I gave it a try and gotta say Bravo Meathead.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here