Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double-Smoked Ham Steak With Tamarind And Pickled Watermelon Chutney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double-Smoked Ham Steak With Tamarind And Pickled Watermelon Chutney

Click image for larger version  Name:	glazed-ham-X3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	586277
    From now on, I want you to swear off ham steaks that you can buy pre-cut in the grocery. They are too thin. By the time you get some color on them they are dry in the center. From now on, ask the butcher to cut them for you at least 1 to 1 ½ inches thick. You will be shocked at the difference.

And while you are at it, I want you to soak it in cold water in the fridge for 6 to 8 hours, changing the water once or twice. This pulls out a lot of the excess salt.

Makes. 4 servings
    Takes. About 50 minutes to double-smoke the ham, 2 to 4 minutes to sear.

2 precooked smoked ham steaks, about 1 inch thick, 20 to 24 ounces total
    1 teaspoon five-spice powder
    Tamarind And Pickled Watermelon Chutney (see recipe below)

1) Fire up. Set up a grill for 2-zone cooking, aim for about 225°F on the indirect side, and get some smoke going.

2) Cook. Spritz the steaks with a little water to help them attract maximum smoke. Rub ¼ teaspoon of five-spice powder evenly into each side of each steak. Smoke, lid down, until the center of the steaks reaches 140°F, 30 to 45 minutes.

3) Sear.Crank the heat up on the direct side to Warp 10. Brush the steak with a little of the tamarind chutney. Sear until golden brown on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side.

4) Serve. Spoon some of the dark and chunky chutney over the steaks.

===============================================

Tamarind And Pickled Watermelon Chutney

This unusual chutney is deep, dark, and complex. Unlike Brigit’s first husband. Tamarind is an excellent ingredient for barbecue sauces, and here its sourness is beautifully tamed by a sweet, old friend: pickled watermelon rind. Be careful, I have been known to eat a whole tub of the stuff.

Makes. ¾ cup
    Takes. 5 minutes

1 large clove garlic
    2 tablespoons Japanese-style pickled ginger
    1 tablespoon minced red onion or shallot
    6 ounces pickled watermelon rind, with its syrup (about ¾ cup), finely chopped
    ¼ cup tamarind paste
    1 ½ tablespoons whole-grain mustard

About the pickles. Pickled watermelon rind is sold in most groceries, and pickled ginger is the thinly sliced pink stuff you get in Japanese restaurant, also in better stores.

Peel the garlic cloves, then mince or press it. Drain, then finely chop the pickled ginger. Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse to make a dark and complex syrup.

That sounds very good.

Comment

Oh gosh, this sounds delicious. Love the chutney idea for the side. A good way to use up some of that pickled ginger I always seem to have in my fridge from sushi feasts.

Thanks a bunch!

Kathryn

Comment

Do you think 3 thin ham steaks from the grocer's, layered, would come close to the results of a thick cut?
        Last edited by JGo37; November 6, 2018, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          Might work. Let me know.

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          Meathead revisiting this I think it's easier to get a half ham and ask that it be thick-sliced till it starts to narrow down. Maybe 3 thick steaks from it? I am disadvantaged with sub-par grocers in my neighborhood... I will try this soon. I might have to use my own saw...

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          Meathead revisiting this I think it's easier to get a half ham and ask that it be thick-sliced till it starts to narrow down. Maybe 3 thick steaks from it? I am disadvantaged with sub-par grocers in my neighborhood... I will try this soon. I might have to use my own saw...

I have to admit: when I read the title of this post my first thought was, "Meathead needs to cut back on the weed!" Though after reading through it...totally sounds delicious. Added to my "to try" recipes.

Comment

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          It is still not legal in Illinois.

Oh gosh. Cant wait to try this recipe.

Comment

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of emphasis on ham in the barbecue world. Ham steaks sound like a great alternative, might be some new light at the end of the tunnel !!

Comment

Yes!!! I have been waiting for this one! This looks fantastic!

Comment

Goes on the list. Close to the top of the list.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here