Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pho With Smoked Bone Broth And Leftover Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jabostick
    replied
    Given your background (and the pronunciation of Pho), I really think you should call this Pho-Q.

Leave a comment:

• Meathead
    commented on 's reply
    Onion peel also helps color stocks. But I have decided to leave it out this time since so many onion skins are dirty and moldy.

• Meathead
    commented on 's reply
    Nice catch! I have fixed it. Thanks!

• kboy24
    replied
    Yum.....

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    Ditto!

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Dr ROK

FWIW #1: When making a broth I leave the skins on onions and smashed garlic if those veggies are organic. Since the solids are sieved out in a later step, you won't be eating them. If the veggies are not organic, I peel/remove the skin.

FWIW #2:
    From the Farmer's Almanac: The skins of onions are also a rich source of flavonoids, particularly quercetin, a potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. Peeling garlic removes the phenylpropanoid antioxidants which protects the heart and helps to fight the aging process along with helping to boost immunity and lower cholesterol.

I know this doesn't answer your question to Meathead, but thought I drop those thoughts into the discussion.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; November 16, 2018, 06:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    replied
    Meathead your instructions say to peel the onion and cut in quarters but leave the skin on. What am I missing here?

Leave a comment:

• VideoWolf88
    replied
    There's a lot less Asian joints in middle Tennessee compared to Reno, so my wife's been missing out on ramen and pho. Doing a brisket on my PBC is still on my wishlist, so this could be the best of both worlds in our new world.

Leave a comment:

• BrentC
    commented on 's reply
    When a French (or possibly Portuguese) missionary developed the Roman alphabet for Vietnamese, he used diacritical marks to capture the different tones and different vowel sounds. Pho is properly written as phở -- the little tail on the "o" indicates that it is an "uh" sound, not an "oh" or "aw", and the sort of comma shape on top gives the tone (which is sort of a "dipping" sound).

• Jhirshon
    commented on 's reply
    This recipe looks stunningly good! Here is my take on it! https://www.thefooddictator.com/hirs...f-noodle-soup/

• jgreen
    replied
    Love pho. Thanks for the input on how to make it. Definitely on my "must try" list.

Leave a comment:

• JCGrill
    replied
    Big pho fan, and at some point I will try this. But probably not soon, because I have so many other things to try!

Leave a comment:

• JCGrill
    commented on 's reply
    I was once told something about the pronunciation / spelling of Asian words in the modern English alphabet, but I have forgotten it. I think it was something about one of the ivy league schools coming up with a system, but don't quote me on that. And most Asian languages have inflections. My understanding is that pho has a rise on the end as if you are asking a question. Pho?

• Clint Cantwell
    replied
    Love this idea!!!

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    I thought they made the syrup in Cairo...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here