Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pho With Smoked Bone Broth And Leftover Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pho With Smoked Bone Broth And Leftover Brisket

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket-pho-X3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	646.0 KB ID:	586274

Pho is a rich complex Vietnamese broth usually loaded with meat and veggies. This one contains leftover brisket and bone broth from smoked bones. It provides an awesome payoff in an exotic sweetness.

Makes. 6 servings
    Takes. Prep takes about 20 minutes, the simmering of the broth takes about 5 hours

Smoked Bone Broth
    5 pounds beef marrow bones
    4 carrots, peeled
    3 medium yellow onions
    4 cloves garlic
    4 mushrooms
    2 celery stalks, with their leafy tops
    ¾ cup white wine
    4 star anise pods
    2 teaspoons Morton’s kosher salt
    2 teaspoons fish sauce

To Finish It
    6 ounces rice stick noodles
    1 ½ pounds leftover tender beef brisket
    12 ounces cremini or button mushrooms
    4 radishes, scrubbed and very thinly sliced
    6 ounces greens, such as collards, kale, mustard, or spinach or a blend
    Sriracha sauce, to taste

Optional garnishes. Thin sliced scallions and small cilantro leaves.

About the marrow bones. Marrow bones are beef leg bones. They are widely available, but are usually cut crosswise into 2 to 3-inch pieces. Ask your butcher for 6-inch bones cut in half lengthwise to expose far more of that flavorful marrow so it can be distributed throughout your tasty broth.

About the noodles.Rice stick noodles vary in size and method of preparation, so consult the package instructions for soaking method. If you can’t find them you can use ramen, glass noodles, or even soba.

1) Prep the Broth. Ideally, have your butcher cut the marrow bones into 6-inch lengths and split them lengthwise to expose the marrow. Peel the carrots and cut them into 3-inch chunks. Peel the onion and cut into quarters. Smash the garlic cloves with the side of a heavy knife. Brush clean and roughly chop the mushrooms, including the stems.

2) Fire Up. Set up your smoker and aim for 225°F. Or set up a grill for 2-zone cooking, aim for about 225°F on the indirect side, and get some smoke going.

3) Smoke. Toss all the bone pieces and vegetables on a rimmed sheet pan and smoke for 1 hour. Toss the ingredients around halfway through to expose more surfaces to the smoke.

4) Simmer. Transfer the bones and veggies to a large stock pot and add 1½ gallons of water. Add the wine to the sheet pan and deglaze over a burner at medium heat, scraping up the tasty bits. Transfer the wine to the stock pot and add the star anise. Bring the water up to a boil, then immediately reduce the heat so it simmers gently. Partly cover the pot and simmer for 4 to 5 hours, until the liquid has reduced by about half. Cool slightly then pour through a large colander into a bowl or another pot. Discard the solids. Let the broth settle for 5 minutes, then using a fat separator or a large flat spoon, skim off and discard most of the fat and any scum. Stir in the salt and fish sauce, and taste. You can use it now or freeze it.

5) Prep for the Soup. Cut the leftover brisket into thick slices. Brush the cremini mushrooms clean, trim the ends, and slice thinly. Scrub and thinly slice the radishes.

6) Brisk it.Wrap the brisket in foil and warm in a low oven or at the back of the grill.

7) Noodling. Soften the rice noodles in water, according to the package instructions. Bring the broth to a simmer and add the noodles. Cook until tender, according to the package instructions.

8) Go green. Sturdier greens like collards, kale, or mustard greens will need a quick 2-minute blanch in boiling water, while more tender spinach leaves do not. Frozen greens are fine too, but be sure to thaw completely and squeeze out the excess water.

9) Serve. Divide the hot noodles, brisket, collard greens, and mushrooms among six bowls. Ladle the hot broth over all the ingredients. Let the soup stand for 5 minutes, to wilt the greens. Scatter the radishes on top and add a few drops of Sriracha sauce.

Oh now you went and did it. We have a large Viet community down here and I enjoy Pho 3-4 times a month. This one goes into the recipe queue immediately. By the way, your homemade photo enclosure is sure producing some gorgeous shots. Bravo on the professional look and vibrant colors.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, this one went right into the queue. Had a link to an awesome Pho recipe from some Vietnamese guy a few years ago. But then his site went down. This looks to be a worthy replacement!

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      I just went back and looked at the photo and WOW that is really cool. Love the effects the lightpainting creates.

• Jhirshon
      Jhirshon commented
      Editing a comment
      This recipe looks stunningly good! Here is my take on it! https://www.thefooddictator.com/hirs...f-noodle-soup/

That looks mighty tasty.

Comment

Am I going to live long enough to cook all of this?

Comment

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Am I gonna live long enuf to write it?

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        I certainly hope so.

I have watched a few Pho YouTube videos. They like to boil the bones/veggies for a little while then strain and rinse. They like to strive for a clear broth and this pre-boil/rinse is supposed to help.

I haven't done this yet. I do have some marrow bones and brisket in the freezing waiting for the right time.

Comment

Wowsers! Looks delicious. Want to cool a brisket now to start the process.

Comment

I'm sure this will become one of my favorites, as Pho already is. I'll post my effort on this soon, and just to shake things up I'll take shots of mine with a cell phone...

Comment

If Meathead keeps this up we might have to award him a Hits From The Pit feature and give him a free memebrship....

Comment

Okay, I'll chime in here. We have a few good Pho places near me, and I know and collaborate professionally with a couple of the owner/operators. They gave me the skinny on how to make the real deal. They also gave me some Thai chili plants, along with lemongrass and kafir lime, but that's another story...lol ( think pizza and BBQ...lol)

Let's use Meathead's recipe and proportions therein for a guide to do what the pros do to make a traditional Pho broth, but with our "Q" sensibilities added. I've made dozens of batches of Pho and the above restaurant owners, as well as my chef friends think it's spot on, so...Here Goes..

As JGrana correctly stated above, one simmers the bones briefly, then washes and scrubs well in cold water. Then smoke along with the veg per Meathead. This simmering step is crucial to getting a clear stock, but more importantly, getting that deep, complex beef and bone flavor. I used to have to do this step, back in the day, when we made fine demi-glace, so this is nothing new.Where the real difference in getting that Pho flavor lies in the spicing and treatment of those spices and adjuncts.

Along with the star anise per Meathead, you'll need 3 cinnamon sticks, 3 or 4 whole cardamom pods(or 1-1/2 Tbsp. cardamom seeds), 2 tsp. white peppercorns, about 4oz. galangal or ginger, 4 big shallots, and 1 big onion sliced in 1/4's, and 2 whole heads of garlic cut in half crosswise.

The star anise, cardamom, cinnamon, and white pepper should be toasted in a dry pan, then set aside. The galangal, shallots, and onion, should be charred over open flame till well blackened. The toasted spices and charred stuff will be added when the stock is put on the stove. Do not peel, as with a 5 hour cook, the char flavors will mellow into a deep flavor.

Follow recipe till stock is done. Now we'll add some traditional sides to complete the Pho. You'll need Thai(or other) basil sprigs, cilantro sprigs, bean sprouts, lime wedges, and hoisin sauce. Chopped hot peppers complete the sides. chili oil works well too.

I hope this helps everyone who is interested. Good cooking and greetings from Houston, Alaska...

Last edited by Strat50; November 1, 2018, 11:36 AM. Reason: omission

Comment

• Meathead
                Meathead commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a whole section of the book devoted to the false goal of authenticity. Suffice it to say that in a book focusing on art, creativity is mor important to me.

• Strat50
                Strat50 commented
                Editing a comment
                I totally agree with you about chasing authenticity too far. As in any "ethnic" cuisine, it's more about using what you have on a daily basis and turning those things into something wonderful than it is making a huge production over using leftovers.

Originally posted by Strat50 View Post

Along with the star anise per Meathead, you'll need 3 cinnamon sticks, 3 or 4 whole cardamom pods(or 1-1/2 Tblsp. cardamom seeds), 2 tsp. white peppercorns, about 4oz. galangal or ginger, 4 big shallots, and 1 big onion sliced in 1/4's, and 2.
              Nice to hear from you again, Strat50 . It's been a while. It's always good to read your Chef's-Eye-View. I imagine there are as many ways to make Beef Pho as there are to fry up a chicken in the South.

Question: is there something that should follow the "2" in the 4th paragraph of your post?

Meathead , thanks for the great-looking recipe. You've got my Beef Pho engines fired up now. Perfect food for the season's cool days and cold nights. And thanks for sharing it with us Pit members first. I like being an early adopter of your recipes.

Great photo too!

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I had a bit of a senior moment...
                The ingredients listed were common to both restaurants mentioned, but yes, variations are legion. Lemon grass, kafir lime leaf, mint(especially for chicken Pho), roasted chilies(try this one, both hot or mild), diakon or korean radish, etc.
                I amended the recipe in paragraph 4 to include garlic.
                Thanks for the kind words.

Comment

So, my beef (pun intended) is this: Since the Vietnamese apparently pronounce the word as "fuh", why do we spell it as "pho", which would sound like "foe"? We do this so often with Asian words: Beijing" vs "Peking" for example? What gives? Does some whiz out the get it?

Comment

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I thought they made the syrup in Cairo...

• JCGrill
                    JCGrill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was once told something about the pronunciation / spelling of Asian words in the modern English alphabet, but I have forgotten it. I think it was something about one of the ivy league schools coming up with a system, but don't quote me on that. And most Asian languages have inflections. My understanding is that pho has a rise on the end as if you are asking a question. Pho?

• BrentC
                    BrentC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When a French (or possibly Portuguese) missionary developed the Roman alphabet for Vietnamese, he used diacritical marks to capture the different tones and different vowel sounds. Pho is properly written as phở -- the little tail on the "o" indicates that it is an "uh" sound, not an "oh" or "aw", and the sort of comma shape on top gives the tone (which is sort of a "dipping" sound).

Love this idea!!!

Comment

Big pho fan, and at some point I will try this. But probably not soon, because I have so many other things to try!

Comment

Love pho. Thanks for the input on how to make it. Definitely on my "must try" list.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here