Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pho With Smoked Bone Broth And Leftover Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a lot less Asian joints in middle Tennessee compared to Reno, so my wife's been missing out on ramen and pho. Doing a brisket on my PBC is still on my wishlist, so this could be the best of both worlds in our new world.

Comment

Meathead your instructions say to peel the onion and cut in quarters but leave the skin on. What am I missing here?

Comment

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice catch! I have fixed it. Thanks!

Dr ROK

FWIW #1: When making a broth I leave the skins on onions and smashed garlic if those veggies are organic. Since the solids are sieved out in a later step, you won't be eating them. If the veggies are not organic, I peel/remove the skin.

FWIW #2:
      From the Farmer's Almanac: The skins of onions are also a rich source of flavonoids, particularly quercetin, a potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. Peeling garlic removes the phenylpropanoid antioxidants which protects the heart and helps to fight the aging process along with helping to boost immunity and lower cholesterol.

I know this doesn't answer your question to Meathead, but thought I drop those thoughts into the discussion.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; November 16, 2018, 06:50 AM.

Comment

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto!

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Onion peel also helps color stocks. But I have decided to leave it out this time since so many onion skins are dirty and moldy.

Yum.....

Comment

Given your background (and the pronunciation of Pho), I really think you should call this Pho-Q.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here