Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Send Me Favorite Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Send Me Favorite Recipes

I am still finalizing the list of recipes for my next book. For this book I am trying to get creative and veer off the beaten path and get outside the box of the classic BBQ canon. Of course there will be a few ribs, brisket, etc. recipes but I want to bring in fun new ideas using Asian, Spanish, Italian, French other flavors. Few checkered tablecloth recipes and more white tablecloth recipes. Almost all of them use flame and smoke in some fashion. I would love to hear from you some of your favorite recipes from the Pitmaster Club. Of course I will give the author proper credit if I use your recipe. So share links below to recipes that you love that fit this description.

I find this to be an awesome side dip while waiting. I don't recall the origins but have tweaked it over time.

Cowboy Corn Dip

2 (11-ounce) cans Fiesta corn with diced peppers
    1 (11-ounce) can white corn
    1 (8-ounce) can chopped green chilies
    1 (6-ounce) can chopped jalapeno peppers (Ortega brand), drained (I use 2-3 seeded/deveined diced fresh peppers)
    ½ cup green onions, chopped
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 (16-ounce) package finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    2 to 3bags of Frito Scoops or other tortilla chips

Mix first 9 ingredients and let set over night. Serve the following day with Fritos or tortilla chips.

Comment

Here are some of mine. Also, any recipes posted by Troutman would be good.

All of these can be cooked with fire:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...t-tacos-recipe

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ch-oven-recipe

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ch-oven-recipe

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...sh-soup-recipe

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...re-ribs-recipe

This recipe posted by TripleB is fantastic, one of my go-to recipes:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ai-bbq-chicken
      Last edited by 58limited; June 29, 2022, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Cassoulet might be a nice choice. I did do one in the WSCG and it's been our favorite so far. Of course searing the proteins over fire would add a nice element as well. I don't have my own recipe, but I have incorporated aspects of some of these:

Traditional French Cassoulet Recipe
        Recipe - Chef Antoine's Cassoulet — Crockett Pottery
        Chef John's Cassoulet | Allrecipes
        Last edited by CaptainMike; June 29, 2022, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          CaptainMike the cassoulet was the first thing I thought of!
          Last edited by SheilaAnn; July 3, 2022, 09:54 AM.

Honey Dijon “Pec-on” Salmon. (Saying it that way makes it fun)

Full size fillet of salmon, dropped onto a sheet of 18 inch foil
        Season with Old Bay seasoning
        Mix 1/4 cup each of honey and Dijon as a smear
        chop up lots of pecans then sprinkle all across fillet.
        Dust with Italian breadcrumbs
        pluck parsley leaves and chop for a topping, press down a bit
        Wrap in the foil but make it easy to open mid cook
        400 degrees or more on a Weber 10 minutes wrapped
        then open the foil and cook 10 more minutes or until 140 degrees internal temp to dry the topping a bit
        Serve wit a 2inch or less small metal spatula and skim the skin so each peace is skinless

It’s a good way to get non fish eaters to like salmon.
        I was a seafood department clerk an a nice lady quoted me this recipe! I never got to thank her and I’ve done it many times.
        Attached Files

Comment

This recipe from ecowper for Harissa Marinated Grilled Pork Chops is so good it actually got my wife (who hates pork chops) to enjoy one.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...de#post1111869

Comment

I've got a Caribbean wife from St. Vincent & the Grenadines who could put together some recipes and pictures, even videos, to do some traditional Vincentian dishes if you would like. It's not grilled or smoked, unfortunately, though. Things like chicken or beef roti (which is vastly different from island to island and all around the world), chicken pelau, etc., callaloo soup, etc. One of my favorites she does is a simple fried bread fritter they call 'bakes', which are freaking addictive. Every one of these things is done so differently from family to family, and even within the family. I love my wife's 'bakes' and the ones her sister makes are so different, they're like a whole different dish. lol

I don't think these are the kinds of things you're putting in your cookbook, though.

<edit> Maybe you could consider adding a "Caribbean" section.
            Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; June 30, 2022, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• jhoskins
              jhoskins commented
              Editing a comment
              I would very happily take any Caribbean recipes you've got <3

Meathead , you may want to reflect back the BBQ Stars Video Series - Harry Soo had about 10 -15 video clips that were Asian inspired . One i liked best was Harry's Crying Tiger Baby Back Ribs.
            I'm sure Harry could assist you with the actual recipes since they were not included in these video series

https://www.bbqstars.com/products/bb.../posts/5615368

Comment

Meathead my take on Cassoulet. With a couple fun twists

Cassoulet with a BBQ Flair

The approach is based on Kate Hill's Cassoulet recipe from "Cassoulet: A French Obsession". I make a couple of ingredient changes, but no technique changes at all. I will describe each phase of the method for this: Beans, Meat, Build, Cassoulet. The beans are probably the most important piece of the whole thing. I use Rancho Gordo's Cassoulet beans, which are grown from Tarbais beans, but in Napa rather than Southwestern France. Obviously, you could use Tarbais beans, which can be ordered from D'Artagnan (https://www.dartagnan.com) or on Amazon. Alternatively, you could use Lingots, Flageolet, Canellini, or Great Northern beans. This recipe will feed 5-6 comfortably.

About the dish to cook in. If you happen to have one, use a cassole, which is a traditional French dish for cooking cassoulet. If not, you need a decent casserole dish or a dutch oven. the opening needs to be wider than the dish is tall. I use a 4.5 quart dutch oven.

Substitutions:
              Lovage leaves -> Celery leaves
              Duck Confit -> Chicken thighs
              Toulouse style sausage -> mild bratwurst (I also use Saucisson, at times)
              Pancetta -> thick cut bacon (I use my peppered maple-whiskey bacon)

Ingredients

Beans:
              1 lb dry Cassoulet beans
              Bouquet Garni: 4 bay leaves, 1 tsp each of parsley and thyme, a handful of celery leaves
              4 garlic cloves, whole
              1 medium onion, whole, peeled
              1 medium carrot, whole, peeled
              1 ham bone or ham hock
              4 whole cloves
              4 slices bacon (thick cut)
              3 quarts water

Meat:
              2 bratwurst
              4 chicken thighs
              4 oz pulled pork (you can buy it, often, in the freezer or refrigerated sections at the grocery store in case you don't make your own. I cook pork shoulders and keep some frozen pulled pork on hand all the time. Substitute 4 oz diced up ham.)

Cassoulet:
              All the above plus salt/pepper per below and a pinch of cayenne or piment d'esplette if you have it

Technique

Beans:
              • Rinse and sort beans, removing any rocks or deformed/cracked beans.
              • Soak beans per directions. If using Rancho Gordo beans, do not soak. Instead, add 30 minutes simmer to your cooking
              • stick the cloves tail first into the top of the onion
              • put all ingredients in a pot, cover with water
              • Bring pot to a boil for 5 minutes
              • Do not cover at all
              • Reduce beans to a simmer and cook 45-60 (75-90 for RG beans) minutes. Beans should still be firm, skin should be "papery"
              • remove everything from the pot except beans and stock
              • Taste stock and add salt/pepper/cayenne to taste
              • Dice up onion, carrot, bacon and add back to the beans

Meat:
              • Brown the sausage, chicken and pulled pork
              • Remove the meat from the ham bone or hocks, dice up and add back to the beans.
              • Not necessary to fully cook, that will happen in the cassoulet
              • Reserve the oil and fat from cooking and add to the bean pot

Build:
              • Add a layer of beans to the bottom of your cassole, casserole pan, or dutch oven
              • add the chicken thighs and nestle down into the beans
              • Cover the chicken with another layer of beans
              • add the sausages, pulled pork in a layer
              • Cover with remaining layer of beans
              • Now add enough of the bean stock to be able to just see the broth in the pot

Cassoulet:
              • Heat oven to 300F while building the cassoulet
              • Put cassoulet in oven, uncovered
              • Leave it alone for 60 minutes, at least
              • When a good crust is starting to form on the cassoulet, break a couple holes in the crust and spoon the broth over top
              • Check cassoulet every 30 minutes, or so ..... if it needs it, add some more broth and baste the crust as described
              • Between 2 1/2 and 3 hours the Cassoulet is done when the beans are tender and a deep brown crust is well formed
              • Pull from oven and allow to stand 20-30 minutes
              • Prepare a green salad while it's standing
              • Open a bottle of red wine, preferably from France, from the Rhone or Languedoc …. Or, if you like, a Chateauneuf-du-Pape :-)
              Click image for larger version  Name:	2E9F4397-379E-4E7C-BFDE-A6922C80E900.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.3 KB ID:	1246365 Click image for larger version  Name:	C4CF7815-4E84-4EFD-88E3-A690AE38D5B9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.3 KB ID:	1246361 Click image for larger version  Name:	B5E83D9E-55C0-4D00-87A7-38A6D94E14C0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	1246360 Click image for larger version  Name:	C864D70A-3904-410B-8244-EE49B5634279.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	1246359 Click image for larger version  Name:	88FFFC16-8904-48A1-8E1E-F0C37A0D0CAD.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.2 KB ID:	1246357 Click image for larger version  Name:	9A184E5C-3294-44CC-AA4C-8B6721004B05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.4 KB ID:	1246358 Click image for larger version  Name:	A07D18F2-C25B-4A8C-AE68-00CE8346BB21.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.5 KB ID:	1246363 Click image for larger version  Name:	EE12D1DB-BAD2-4F37-8192-AE0A010F89C8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.8 KB ID:	1246362 Click image for larger version  Name:	517F159C-1731-475B-9D1E-019F9570C45F.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.9 KB ID:	1246364
              Last edited by ecowper; July 2, 2022, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Everything I do, even the fancy stuff, is simple. The most fanciest I get is a tenderloin roulade, and even that I don’t have a recipe for, I just try to make sure I don’t overstuff it, and that the string is tied tight enough.

There’s a member who had one absolutely killer crab cakes recipe. I’ve always wanted to make that one for Mrs Mosca.

Edit: It’s from Ernest .

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...es-to-kill-for
                Last edited by Mosca; July 2, 2022, 10:24 PM.

Comment

My Pork Loin with Green Chile Popper Stuffing was developed here with the help of many members of the Pit.

Comment

I’m going to get some of my go-to’s in Paprika, then share.
                    And it’s forcing me to get them into paprika! 🤣

Are we absolved of NOT putting recipes in the recipe section only since this request is from Meathead himself? 🤣🤣🤣
                    Last edited by SheilaAnn; July 3, 2022, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Meathead feel free to play with the following, it's something different. Unfortunately, I don't do measurements so... But the important parts are chilling the ingredients post smoke and chilling them overnight in a sealed container for extra smokey results.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...38#post1130638

Comment

ecowper Every time I see a recipe for cassoulet I think of this one, from Jacques Pepìn, where he uses an Italian sausage, a piece of kielbasa, and a hot dog!

Yours is actually one I would make. Most cassoulet recipes have the words “day two” in them, which is an automatic nope-out for me.

Comment

• ecowper
                          ecowper commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Mine will take 5-6 hours, but there is no Day 2 involved.

Blasphemy Ribs, of course!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5″ x 29.5″ footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.
                        Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp’s dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’.

Click here to read our detailed review

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it’s easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
                        Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The InfraredZone

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

Fireboard Labs Product Photo Shoot. Kansas City Commercial Portrait and Wedding Photographers ©Kevin Ashley Photography

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.
                        Click here to read our detailedreview