Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Authenticity, enemy of creativity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spot on.

Comment

Finally had the time to read this. Bravo.

And the discussion has been tremendous.

About all I can add is to dance onto one of the taboo subjects for the site but only through analogy. I attend a church where the church compact states that we come together to worship God, however known. My food journey that last few years has borrowed from that for my personal mantra, and that is that I enjoy food however known. That is, as many are saying here, it doesn't matter as much what tradition an aspect of a dish comes from (whether it's authentic) as much as if it fits together into an overall cohesive dish that speaks to you personally. Smoked barbecued tofu sounds wonderful to me, and I intend to try it soon. I'll still do the old standby "authentic" dishes now and then, especially on request, but love playing around with new combinations even more.

Comment

Try some new flavors, or make it the traditional way, just don’t get bored.
        Tastebuds need vacations too.
        I think Meathead is recommending new flavor exploration.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          The desire of something different. Don't be afraid to feed it, no pun intended.

A note to all: I started it. My article discusses culture and that is close to politics. I have had a number of emails from members and moderators about comments posted above that are inflamatory. PLEASE stay focused on food and refrain from broad generalizations about nationalities, cultures, races, etc. We have already deleted a few that are over the line.

Comment

I suspect that for far too many of us, instead of "learning the craft," we tend to grasp just enough "how-to" to boost our arrogance to the point of displaying our genuine stupidity.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            That is very well said. This concept reminds me of a guy at work when we were talking steaks, I was trying to suggest a good digital instant read thermometer and why- he cuts me off and insists "5 minutes, flip, 3 minutes, flip, 1 minute, DONE!" (or something along those lines). Ok. Never mind what cook temp, covered/uncovered grill, thickness of steak, what if someone wants rare or well... [shake head and walk away].

You are right! Someone smarter than me once said a little information in the wrong hands is very dangerous.
          I also feel that you can't run before you can walk. You can't push the envelope without paying first for postage...
          I think that we need to understand the difference between authenticity vs tradition as well as creativity vs trendy copying.
          As many have already posted: experiment, enjoy if it's good and you are happy that's authentic in my book. Authentically YOURS. Great! However if I go all the way to Tuscany to sample Porchetta and the cook is bored so he made it stuffed with kimchee fried rice and slathered with sesame paste and gochujang and served with a side of Memphis style spaghetti I'm going to be either pissed or think that's how they do it in rural Italy. Pulled pork paella is probably tasty but I better not get it in Valencia.
          Don't want to go to Beijing and be served duck with a cornmeal / andouille stuffing and a side of grits.
          There's a place for fusion but as Harry Soo said there's also conFUSION.

Comment

I missed this the first time around. Good article, I agree with most of it. But at the risk of seeming culturally offensive, and hoping not to get kicked out and banned for life, I would pay good money to see you sing some Grandmaster Flash...

Comment

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              I can sing the theme "I want my baby back baby back baby back ribs." Did he write that?

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              gboss We have been holding discussions about how to detect and handle posts from chatbots (there have already been a few). Bet a weeks pay yours was not aided by ChatGPT. Now I have to Google Rakim and Grandpiano Flash. I am sooooo unhip I say things like unhip.

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              klflowers can I sit next to you for the show? 🤣🤣🤣

“Now we’re havin’ fun, baby!”

Hold up......can we get a look at that Sticky Chicken recipe from Chicago Culinary Kitchen?! (Post #24 above)

Meathead That looks and sounds fantastic!!

Whatever you call that, I want in!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here