Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Diabetics And Those Wary Of Sugar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Diabetics And Those Wary Of Sugar

Many barbecue rubs and most barbecue sauces have sugar in them, some have a lot. If you are watching your sugar intake, some thoughts:

Why all the sugar anyhow? Well first of all, we like it, especially on pork. It seems to complement and amplify the flavors. It also melts, caramelizes, creating more complex flavors, and contributes to the texture of the crust.

But is it really an issue? Let’s take a look at my most popular rub recipe Meathead's Memphis Dust which has a lot of sugar in it https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...st-rub-recipe/

There are only about two tablespoons of rub on a large slab of ribs. Of that about half, one tablespoon, three teaspoons, is sugar. About one teaspoon of it drips off during cooking and some sticks to the grates. A slab has about 12 bones, so each bone has 0.17 teaspoons of sugar. If you eat six bones, half a slab, you get one teaspoon. The glycemic load (GL) is about 3. Compare that with a slice of white bread with a GL of 10.

Classic Kansas City style red barbecue sauces are pretty sweet, about 25% sugar. But you don't need a lot. One light coat should do the job. About four tablespoons max. You do want to taste the meat after all. There will be drip loss during cooking, so by the time you serve it there’s probably only three tablespoons left. If 25% is sugar, that’s 2.25 teaspoons of sugar or 0.19 teaspoons per bone, almost the same dose as the rub. Again, if you eat half a slab, you get a smidge more than one teaspoon of sugar.

So combined, you’re getting a GL of about 6, or 60% of a slice of white bread if you eat half a slab. Can you eat half a slab?

If that’s still too much, you can make your own rubs and sauces and leave the sugar out. Here’s a link to all our rub recipes (which have no salt) https://amazingribs.com/?s=rub+recipes
    And here’s a link to an article on the science of rubs https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip.../science-rubs/

There are some fun sauces without sugar or with very little sugar. Here is my East Carolina Sauce recipe https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...nd-mop-recipe/

And here’s is my Lexington Dip https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/barbecue-sauce-recipes/lexington-dip-bbq-sauce/

Here’s a link to an article about all the nation’s barbecue sauce styles https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/barbecue-sauce-recipes/benchmark-barbecue-sauces-how-make-them-and-how-buy-set-award//

Here is an article on sweeteners including artificial sweeteners
    Find out everything you need to know about sucrose, fructose, and glucose, as well as how to cook with different sugars, syrups, and artificial sweeteners, including granulated sugar, brown sugar, turbinado, demerara, Barbados, muscovado, and more. Plus a handy guide to the stages of sugar syrup for candy making.
    Last edited by raywjohnson; June 20, 2023, 08:47 PM.

OKAY, you done good.

Comment

Thank you, my wife is borderline diabetic so I will pass this info on to here.
      She won't be able to refuse my cooking now.

Comment

• Davek8282
        Davek8282 commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe she is using the sugar content for an excuse not to eat your cooking? LOL

The sauce links didn't work for me.

Lexington Dip https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...dip-bbq-sauce/

East Carolina Sauce recipe https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...nd-mop-recipe/

Comment

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here, they’re not working for me.

"So combined, you’re getting a GL of about 6, or 60% of a slice of white bread if you eat half a slab. Can you eat half a slab?"

You mean can I eat ONLY half a slab, right?

Comment

There is a very popular non sugar sweetener now that many diabetics use, Allulose. Just slightly less sweet than sugar, but doesn’t have many of the complaints of other sweeteners, aftertaste, coolness on tongue and GI issues. You won’t find any packaged products using it, too expensive, but just replace for sugar in your favorite recipe.

Comment

• Xtropy
          Xtropy commented
          Editing a comment
          Meathead Not sure why Allulose and Stevia are listed as “artificial”. These are both natural products unlike Aspertame. Maybe “alternative” is a better term?

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          They are not "natural." First of all the word has no legal definition and second, I think of natural as something you harvest and eat without processing. Apples, corn, tomatoes, etc. Stevia is extracted from a leaf, and through a manufacturing process purified and crystalized. No more natural that sugar. But "alternative" sounds like a good term.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          It seems like all artificial sweeteners end up being a poor choice.

I’ve been working on getting my A1C under 7. Back in October it was 8.7, last week it was 7.2.

When I was working, I was eating 3 meals a day, and often two of those were fast food. Now I’m retired, I only eat twice a day. That makes a difference.

Another thing I changed: no more dessert-type foods. Cake, cupcakes, cookies, chocolates, peanut butter cups, chips, etc. That took about a week for that craving to stop. And the holidays were tough. There were some concessions made. I did make the cookies last week, but in my defense I gave most of them away.

But all the other stuff: bread, potatoes, rice, ketchups/sauces/rubs, sweet pickles, etc, I ignore that stuff. I’ll let the pills deal with those, and I’ll try not to let the big things overwhelm the medications. Once it gets under 7, I’ll rethink it.

Comment

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          "Everything in moderation, including moderation." - Oscar Wilde

I've lost 30 lbs and dropped my A1C to 5.1 in the last year and I haven't given up anything. For me, it was portion control. I still splurge every now and again but I don't deny myself anything.

Thank you Meathead . I have an A1C of 6.1 and work on it daily. Any information like this is helpful and useful.

Comment

I have started using Monkfruit in place of brown sugar in my rubs, and no one has said anything about a difference. I can't tell any
          Last edited by Dick Anderson; January 23, 2022, 06:21 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

Getting rid of sugar in your diet does wonders for you. I have gone simple with all my rubs. Salt, Pepper, Granulated Garlic and Granulated Onion. Honestly, The sugar you pick up in rubs is minuscule when going across the meat. Especially if you are cooking large cuts like brisket, pork shoulder or hams. That being said, anytime you leave out the unnatural, refined sugars, it is a win. Every little bit helps that is for sure.

When i was looking to cut sugars from my diet (160 pounds ago), get healthy and not become diabetic, I really focused on cutting out starches, bread products or anything that comes in a box. If I can't touch the actual food when I am buying it, it stays out of my cart. Now I eat whole foods, mostly stuff that grows on the ground; not below it or way above it. Big leafy greens and meats for me. Seasoned with salt, pepper and a few other things, just not refined sugar. It takes a little bit for your body to adjust but once it does, you will never feel better.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Greens can be that way, yes. But there are tons of different ways to prepare them. Just gotta be creative! SmokinFool

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Spinaker doesn't help I have a sweet tooth and no will power

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha, yeah. Ice Cream/ Peanut butter mixture is gonna be the death of me. smokin fool

Using less overall and if I buy it, I look for the "less sugar" versions.

Comment

I am living proof that type 2 can be reversed. A lot of exercise, change in eating habits and minus 27 lbs. It works!

Comment

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                Great for you David!

• DavidNorcross
                DavidNorcross commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Sir. It took a doc who was willing to roll up his sleeves and help me. So very thankful

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                4 more pounds and I’m down an even 100. Still have to take the meds, though.

I’m down 60 lbs, no more meds. Under new ADA guidelines, I’m not diabetic now. I don’t follow, strict Keto, but focus on whole food. Highly refined foods, like sugar and flour spike my blood sugar. Non sugar sweeteners like Allulose and Monlfruit are no more artificial than sugar, and don’t spike my BS. All that said, damn I miss pizza, on my wood fired pizza oven ☹️

Comment

Yup, I kicked type ll to the side of the road also. I watch sugar like a hawk, including fruit & carbs. The amount of sugar in rubs is really not a problem as Meathead’s equation puts it.

Comment

As a type one diabetic, I can tell you that all sugar matters. It’s one of the very reasons I make so much of my own food, I can control the sugar, where I want it. And which carbohydrate or sugar is worth the insulin, I choose pizza over sauce. This is likely very different for well controlled type 2. It can just add up quickly and start stacking, plus the type of carb or sugar.

Clean eating and insulin takes care of most issues. The amount of sugar in many spices are very low, I believe there to be a few higher ones though. Again, I don’t worry about the spice, I eat clean, and am well controlled.

Comment

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Richard, I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve looked at something and thought, “Not worth the sugar hit.” Same with bread. What’s worth the hit for me is potatoes once or twice a week, and rice once a month. As a type 2, I’m not as concerned with sugar in bbq sauce, ketchup, etc. My sister has been type 1 since the 60s, and she watches that really closely.

• Richard Chrz
                    Richard Chrz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There is a reason Dr.’s recommend drinking something with sugar if having a severe low, yet never drink sugar beverages. As soon as it becomes liquid form, the game changes. Even small amounts can cause a false rise, which could be then over treated. When last tested, I have almost zero ability to make insulin, so even those variants can play. Which is why I caution sometimes, especially with type 2, totally different mechanisms.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here