Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bringing the old beast back to life!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing the old beast back to life!!

I had a friend call me that someone from the bank called him about removing a smoker from a meat locker about 15 monthes ago. He was wondering if I was interested in it... Of course I was and I bought it for 200$. It turned out to be a 750 lb ( just a guess) vortron smokehouse and smoke generator. It is kind of a basketcase but I am going to rebuild it. I know it may seem like a waste of time but a new smokehouse this size costs about 80k . So here we go . These pictures are from when I brought it home and tucked it in the corner of the garage. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191008_191922.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	993540Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20191008_191908.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	993541 just for reference it stands 9 feet tall and I am 6 feet tall and can stand up in it easily.

Today I got it laid down to rebuild the bottom . The steel frame is all rotted off so cut and clean up some with the grinder. Off to the steel dealer of tubing tomorrow!! Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210221_221948914.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	993545

Comment

Sweet. Looking forward to watching the progress.

Comment

Just $200 for what originally cost $80K. Amazing. Sure it will take a lot of hours to make it right, but still a steal. Keep us posted!!

Comment

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          I am not sure what it cost new as it has some years on it but to buy a new one that size today is around 80k.. out of my budget but I couldn't go wrong at 200 for this smoker.

Yes, keep us posted. Very interesting.

Comment

Following this journey...

Comment

What does it look like inside?

Comment

• Backroadmeats
              Backroadmeats commented
              Editing a comment
              I will get some pics when I stand it up

Good indoor project for Minnesota in February. Nice score. You can put a lot of material and labor into the project and still come out way ahead.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
              Backroadmeats commented
              Editing a comment
              That is for sure and it has warmed up some so it doesn't cost a fortune to heat the garage up. I am hoping to be under 5k in when all is said and done?? We will see😃😃

I love this sort of stuff, spit and elbow grease to bring something back to life, please keep us updated on your progress

Comment

So cool Backroads! Like to see the inside also. Pics man, lots of pics.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
                Backroadmeats commented
                Editing a comment
                I will get some when I stand it up. I am planning on getting steel tonight so hopefully it will be upright Soon!!

Worthy project fer sure !!!!!
              Look forward to see the final restoration,,,,
              I bet it will be better than new

Comment

Are you going to keep it or sell it?

Comment

• Backroadmeats
                  Backroadmeats commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Probably keep it. I am looking at adding on to the locker this fall and the added smoker capacity would be nice.

Comment

Awesome. Following this for sure. Anyone else thinking of Al Capone and Geraldo?

Comment

+1 Following

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here