Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ugh...are there any decent Electric grills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh...are there any decent Electric grills?

I hate to be asking this question, but i live in NYC and earlier this year the building I live in banned charcoal grills. I tried getting by (and upgrading to) a Green Mountain Pellet Daniel Boone....figured pellet grills were kinda electric (maybe?) but the wood smell was too much for neighbors and someone complained 4 minutes into my first cook.

Now, i'm faced with a sad options in electric...but i need something. Any suggestions?

P.S. Don't feel too bad for me, just bought a backwoods chubby for use outside of NYC and it's amazing (highly recommend it)

Max Good posted a few reviews for electrics on the free site: https://amazingribs.com/equipment-re...el_tid%5B%5D=5

Comment

When you wrote 'I live in NYC' I already felt bad for you.

Comment

I would probably be giving serious consideration to Weber Q1400.

Comment

Wow, that's too bad. Me thinks if they complained about the smell of smoke from a pellet cooker 4 minutes into a cook (which is typically the most smokey time on a pellet cooker) then they'd probably complain about any grill smell, no? If I were you, I'd opt for a griddle.

Regardless, try our searchable review database. Here's the results when I search Grill > Electric. (most are Silver medals at best) https://amazingribs.com/equipment-re...el_tid%5B%5D=5

Comment

According to Max, looks like the George Forman Grill is the Best Buy. Take a look. There 4 that get 3 star, price wise $130 beats $300 & up.

it almost sounds like your finicky neighbors will complain about cooked food.

Comment

My question is did they ban charcoal or did they ban open flame? I lived in an HOA that was way over the top. We were allowed to have gas but it had to be 10 feet from the house. Then they said 12 feet. I had to expand my patio twice. I had a gasser at the time and bought a pellet cooker. Technically a pellet can be called an electric convection, (even though we know that is not completely correct) the HOA bought that explanation. But the other thing was "open flame". It can also be proven that a pellet is not open flame.

Regardless, we had enough of it and the rules and moved! Now no one tells me what I can cook on...

I wish you all the best.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                Amen. First place was a condo. Later I owned raw land that was part of a HOA, it was worse than the condo. You couldn't pay me to live in or deal with a HOA again.

Huskee might also have a great suggestion. There is another thread about this one https://www.walmart.com/ip/360-Cente...eter/266164586

Comment

There's always th ol CL standby: takes eleventeen plus hours, but always produces great results, (eventually)... Click image for larger version  Name:	iPod Touch 254.JPG Views:	6 Size:	1.80 MB ID:	721053
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 26, 2019, 08:07 PM.

Comment

I've given electrics some thought for using on the lanai this time of year when random late afternoon thunderstorms pop up on the gulf coast. I had a CharBroil infrared that did kinda okay but was a pain to clean. The thermostat quit working out of warranty and I did a halfhearted search for a replacement online but eventually tossed the whole thing out.

I think the Weber Q 1400 deserves some consideration but I'd like to hear from someone who cooks on it several times a week how easy it is to clean up.

But this summer I've taken a different tack by using a portable induction cooktop. I've done reverse sear steaks starting in the oven, all kinds of pan-seared fish, chicken wings and great diner-style burgers cooking outside without having to worry about the rain. I have a 14 inch round mesh screen to keep the splatter to a minimum.

I'm now starting to get serious about wok cooking, too.

Blackened salmon:

Comment

I was forced to purchase the original electric Weber Q. I loved it as much as any one can say they loved an electric grill. I live in Pittsburgh where the weather can take a turn for the worse, and cooked on it year round.

My wife is from Long Island, the mother in-law now lives in NYC, I know how those people can be. Some of them can be the greatest on earth, others, miserable asshats. I say go for the Weber, have fun, and maybe one day you can win one of those asshats over to "our side" with a good shared cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here