Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pick Your Favorite Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pick Your Favorite Cooker

Okay it's time, ladies and gentlemen, to pick your favorite cooker. If I missed your kind, sorry about that. I'm just really curious as to what everyone's number one choice is. Here's mine, for better or worse. Choose your #1, then post your list.....

1) WSM or other vertical smokers
    2) Charcoal kettle
    3) Stick burner
    4) Pellet pooper
    5) Gasser
    Charcoal Vertical Smokers, Bullets or Drums
    11.24%
    Pellet Smokers
    20.22%
    Stick burners, horizontal or vertical
    19.10%
    Charcoal kettles like Weber, PK or other brands
    31.46%
    Propane gas grills
    1.12%
    Santa Maria style open pits
    0%
    Electric smokers
    0%
    Hole in the ground, camp fire pit cooking
    1.12%
    Ceramic style cookers - BGE, Primo, etc.
    15.73%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Troutman; October 29, 2018, 09:07 AM.

WSM then Weber kettle.

Comment

My kettles with SnS are the most versatile and portable cookers I have, especially that WSCG (except it's not very portable).

1. WSCG
      2. Weber22 w/SnS
      3. Pellet Pooper
      4. Gas-passer
      5. Bradley
      Last edited by CaptainMike; October 29, 2018, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Kamado

Comment

Only have a gasser and just recently acquired a kettle. Not much to choose from. Loved my Butt cook on the Kettle but the gasser is were I started. I just dont know.

Comment

Kamado for most things.

But for all out fun.....nothing beats feeding a stick burner.

Comment

• JonnyB
              JonnyB commented
              Editing a comment
              I totally agree Spinaker. For convenience or ease of operation, a gasser or pellet smoker is the way to go. But for full on flavor and the satisfaction of maintaining a fire as God intended, a stick burner is hard to beat. It ain't for everybody, but I love the experience.

• xaugievike
              xaugievike commented
              Editing a comment
              Does the WSCG qualify as a Kamado?

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I have never cooked on one, but yes, I would say that it does. xaugievike

I just recently started using my kettle with a fan mod. That shot it straight up to #1.

1. Weber Performer
            2. Rec Tec
            3. Weber Genesis
            4. PBC

Comment

• Rod
              Rod commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris klflowers I also got an adapter for the PBC I have yet to try the fan out on. For me I'm glad I started out with a pellet grill. I probably would have gotten too frustrated learning bbq and having to fuss with a bunch of vents at the same time. With the fan you can add another 10 minutes of so to your charcoal initial set up with having to plug things in and such.

• Rod
              Rod commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris klflowers It's also nice to have multiple options. Especially if something electronically or mechanically fails unexpectedly. Don't get me wrong though, it is nice to have a large pellet cooker for capacity and times when smoke flavor isn't in order.

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              For low and slow I light a Weber cube in the corner of the fire box, turn on the fan controller and walk away. Sometimes I’m even lazy and put the meat on at the same time since it takes maybe 20-30 minutes to temp up. (On kettle or pk)

Of course the pbc needs a half a chimney dumped in, turn on fan, walk away.

Absolutely love my LSG stick burner. Second is tough. Kettle, Kamado, and the BlackStone are all really fun to cook on as well. Oh I almost forgot my R and V Works deep fryer.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
              Dadof3Illinois commented
              Editing a comment
              @ Steve B the great thing is I get to borrow a stainless one anytime I need it...👍🏻👍🏻. Plus I need the new Blackstone griddle or was it the PBC or the new vertical smoker....OH the MCS!!!!!!!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve B The fryer is staying at my house now dude. Let's be honest, that was the plan all along. Man I love that thing.

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Dadof3Illinois and Spinaker Hahahahaha

Actually this is how it should go for me.

1. The wife
            2. Weber Performer
            3. Rec Tec
            4. Weber Genesis
            5. PBC

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Not sure how to respond to this one.
              But.
              Is your wife that hot she can cook anything or does she do all the cooking or do you want to cook her in anything? 😳🤣😳😍

Original Grilla pellet-pooper followed by the Weber Genesis EP-330 (sometimes with and sometimes without a large griddle steel) ... both often augmented by SV.

Comment

My Weber Ranch kettle is the best thing I have for brisket, and brisket is my favorite thing to smoke. So I'll have to go with Weber Ranch. It's the cooker I would choose if I could only have one. I do love to operate a stick burner, though.

Comment

• JoeSousa
                JoeSousa commented
                Editing a comment
                I love cooking on my Ranch. I think because there is so much more air moving through the thing than a 22 inch kettle the smoke is a bit cleaner. The wood and briquettes are burning hotter to heat up all the area so it gives a cleaner combustion.

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep! I even fitted mine with a PartyQ adapter and it runs the Ranch just like the 22", as far as maintaining steady temps. Once I learned not to use the lid rest, which lets all the hot air get away, it runs like a champ on long cooks.

I love campfire cooking with my Dutch ovens. I don’t get to do it as much as I like. There’s something to seeing them stacked up in a tower and watching the main course, sides, and desserts are all there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6E740B97-8045-4039-9837-A4EB349EE1F2.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	586424
              Last edited by snowswamp; October 31, 2018, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Recently picked up a Pitts & Spitts Maverick 1250 and that thing is magic, my #1.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've got the same model, it is a cookin' machine.

The one I have

Comment

1. Weber kettles - right now that is pretty much all I have.

If I had others...

2. Stick burner
                  3. Vertical drum smoker (probably a PBC)
                  4. Santa Maria
                  5. Pellet

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here