Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off putting taste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off putting taste

For the last cook or two I did, luckily nothing big, they came out with a little bit of a bad lingering almost malic taste. I use kingsford traditional 90% of the time and hickory or apple wood. I’m wondering does this just mean it’s time for a cresote burn off or is there possibly other factors? This is for my Weber 22 using a SnS. Thanks in advance.

What meat and seasoning and technique did you use?

Comment

• Robvjr
      Robvjr commented
      Editing a comment
      One was chicken legs, dry brined, pepper garlic thyme and onion powder mainly, other just salmon wet brine, pepper and a bit of maple syrup, offset cooking at 225-250

Maybe too much smoke since chicken and fish are susceptible to too much smoke? Or perhaps the kingsford charcoal wasn’t burned to white coals (under prepared / under burned)?

you said "offset" so I guess the drippings didn’t go into the coals which COULD have caused some off flavors.

Comment

• Dahminator
      Dahminator commented
      Editing a comment
      the under burned or under prepped wasn't something I'd considered either. Great point.

• Robvjr
      Robvjr commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely got them fully lit so that wasn’t the case but gonna try new briquettes or at least a new bag

This happened to me earlier in the year after only my second smoke (it was clean for the new spring cooking season and then I clean it a second time when I put it away for the winter.) I use a WSM 18.5" and WAS using Kingsford Blue briquettes. I emphasize "was" because when this same acrid smell you describe occurred, I looked and looked at the possible culprit. This was before I threw on wood or meat luckily so I narrowed it down to the Kingsford since I really had no creosote build up to mention. Nor would have it been any soap residue as it was thoroughly rinsed and used already for a 10 hr pork shoulder with no issues a few weeks prior. I considered possible mold/mildew but I did not notice anything of the sort prior to starting. So the only thing I could chalk it up to was perhaps a bad batch of Kingsford. It was a new bag too. I dumped those coals and I grabbed a fresh bag of kingsford blue with no issue after that. However, since then I've switched charcoal briquette maker to a locally sourced company that I found and as a bonus they use no fillers and their binding agents is potato starch.

Anyway, nothing against Kingsford, they are #1 for a reason I suppose, but the smell you mention sounds very similar to my issue. I suppose a bad batch can happen to any manufacturer. I regret I didn't record any batch identifiers from the bag before I burned it.

Hope that helped.

Jake

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah could be a bad bag!

• Robvjr
      Robvjr commented
      Editing a comment
      Gonna get some new ones today thanks for the feed back

What is "malic"?

Comment

Type of acid even more sour than citric, also has strange after taste. Almost like green apple but in a bad way

Comment

IMHO I think scottranda called it. One can have to much smoke & the briquettes thing is important.
        I am glad you cleared up the malic thing. Cuz now that I know what it is I still couldn’t identify it. As far as "cleaning" yer 22, well, some here might throw rocks at me for saying this, but I never burn/clean my Weber. I’m always sorta scraping the bottom out with a plastic thingy or another. As far as the lid goes, I let her go until a flake appears then remove. I use it at least a couple of times a week all year. I did power wash it once about 5 years ago. 🕶

Oh, don’t know if I said howdy to ya. Howdy! 🕶

Comment

• Robvjr
          Robvjr commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks and howdy back🤠 I appreciate all the input and thoughts, much to try which means my kitchen will be full the next couple days. Cheers

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here