Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Barrel Cooker ok on a deck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Barrel Cooker ok on a deck?

Hey, Guys! Just took delivery of my new Pit Barrel Cooker. I've got a slab of baby backs waiting for my first cook. Big question -- can a PBC be set on a deck or does it get too hot? I've always run my Weber Performer on the deck but the PBC's heat is way closer to the wooden surface so I wanted a reality check from people how have done or tried this? Any input? Thanks.

I don't have a PBC but I would say not to risk it. Maybe by putting something underneath it and it might be okay. Say, concrete pavers or something like that.

Comment

I wouldn't have anything on the deck that couldn't be shut down immediately. 999 times out of 1,000, it would be just fine. But to me, it wouldn't be worth the risk of having a briquette fall out of the charcoal basket while loading and rolling underneath the barrel, or some such freak occurrence. I think you already know the answer to this one.

Comment

Personally I would probably be ok with it. But, I would spend the couple bucks and get some paving blocks and set it on the stand on that. 4 16x16 pavers or something is a lot cheaper than burning your deck.

Comment

Just to be safe, put a few pavers down for it to sit on, have a fire extinguisher nearby, and don’t leave it unattended for long periods of time.

Comment

I would go to Home Depot or Lowes and get 4 12" pavers and set them down under the PBC. It runs the risk of scorching your deck in my opinion.

Comment

I had mine on a wooden deck, but I went to Home Depot and bought some cheap concrete pavers for about $2.99 a piece. I would not put it right over the deck with nothing in between the pit and the deck.

Comment

From the pitbarrelcooker.com website (click on FAQ):

Can I place the PBC/PBJ on my wood deck or other flammable surface?

Although both models come with a three-point barrel stand, when using them on wood or grass we highly recommend placing paver stones or bricks in the designated area under the unit just to be safe. Important: Be sure to use enough pavers or bricks to completely cover the entire area under the cooker. Four 12″x12″ pavers laid in a 2×2 pattern works well.

Comment

I wouldn't. My Weber Genesis gasser sits on the deck, and I had a grease fire earlier this year that started the railing next to the grill on fire. Fortunately, I was only gone for a few minutes and put it right out. Now, I also have a Grilla pellet smoker that sits on the deck. Both are on fireproof mats. Something with charcoal and or the potential for sparks. Not going to happen. Not since the daughter of a friend had an unattended smoker set their deck on fire, which then set the house on fire.

Comment

• Steve R.
                    Steve R. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have had my property showered with the ashes of a house that burned to the ground because the gas grill the owner left going on the wooden deck fell over while he took a nap inside the house. He made it out alive, but lost everything.

I think I accepted reality when Steve R (above) said, "I think you already know the answer to this one."

Thanks, Guys. I'll put down some pavers and mount the PBC on those. Great solution.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    CaptainMike approves. Also, It's a good idea to have water source and/or dry chem fire extinguisher handy

There was another post on this a week or so ago where I posted my setup on a wood deck. Bought four cement pavers from home depot for $1-2 each.

Here is the link

Comment

There was a post on the PBC Facebook page today where a user's deck caught fire. Luckily he saw it (was dark outside) and able to extinguish. I think it is a best practice to place the concrete pavers under it like others mentioned. No need in taking that chance. It might go 2 months or 20 years and never catch fire, but all it takes is one time....

Comment

I put a piece of slate under mine. Just to be safe.

Comment

To be honest, I have some concerns over using charcoal on a wooden deck, when it comes to using a chimney. I burned my bare feet this summer on small embers that fell out of a chimney I was dumping into my Performer, and that was on concrete. I have a new rule against barefoot grilling. I sure wouldn’t have wanted those embers on my deck.

Comment

• Bogy
                          Bogy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          jfmorris, mine was bad enough, but I am more than willing to admit yours was worse!

• jfmorris
                          jfmorris commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Bogy haha. Did not mean to denigrate your injury. I just still cringe at the thought of walking on hot coals...

Let's both just agree to a no barefoot or sandals rule when cooking with charcoal!

• Bogy
                          Bogy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          jfmorris, hip waders from now on!

I have mine on a cart with cement board under the PBC. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_73059.jpg
Views:	1828
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	568912

Comment

• allsid
                          allsid commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I need this cart!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here