Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a Watchman yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a Watchman yet?

I saw an article on the Watchman grill today, then went to YouTube and watched a couple of videos. I wondered why I've never seen them mentioned here. Did a search, and it appears that they did get some brief discussion, but not much. Apparently they have a grill and a griddle accessory and I saw online someone who said it can double as a firepit, but to me it looks like a poor firepit. Still, I am somewhat intrigued by the product. If someone has one I would love to hear more about it.

I am intrigued as well after seeing it today in the Feed the Flame thread. At first glance, I thought it was just a modified rocket stove. I went to EM website and they are....spendy for what they appear to offer. Regardless, I'm curious about them.
    Last edited by Arsenlael; January 26, 2020, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Alphonse has one, and I'm coveting!

Comment

Yes, ComfortablyNumb, I have one and it is a hoot! One of my favorite grills.

Yes, Arsenlael, it is a bit pricey and yes, it is a large rocket stove. I bought mine as the kit and welded it up. The freight is steep but it is very heavy. It fit together like a glove and I built it in an afternoon and got the first coat of paint on it.

Here are a few photos.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191201121941745_COVER.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	796360Click image for larger version

Name:	00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191201122727623_COVER.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	796361Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191201_132038.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	796363Click image for larger version

Name:	00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191201140229041_COVER.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	796362

Comment

Wow never seen one personally, that’s pretty sweet!! Bet it sears the hell out of a steak

Comment

Troutman it does sear well but not as fast as I first imagined. The stainless grill plate is slotted as you see but area of the slots is balanced well enough that you are not trying to cook over an inferno.

It is a fun grill to cook on 'cause it needs a lot of poking and prodding. For us folks that like to tend a fire and be really interactive with the cook, it is a hoot. I am sure it will gather dust when the weather warms up! My wife thinks we need one at our camp. Both of our adult sons believe they need one of these little stick burners too.

Here's a photo that shows the grate in a bit more detail.

JCGrill, I am attaching shot (a video frame snippet and not great quality) showing it being used as a fire pit. I wouldn't recommend buying one for that sole purpose but it is little bonus and fun to flip the lid back and let it roar from time to time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191201_122131 - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	796570

Click image for larger version  Name:	little fire pit.JPG Views:	0 Size:	78.6 KB ID:	796571
            Last edited by Alphonse; January 27, 2020, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd wager if you dropped some charcoal in the tube and pointed a hair dryer at the intake chute you'd speed up that sear.

• Alphonse
              Alphonse commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeap, a Dewalt battery powered blower pointed just right to push air into the intake gullet works great! That is usually how I crank it up but just with splits. I plan on putting some Marabu lump in there soon to watch the fireworks!

Pretty awesome Alphonse !!!

I'm with you on the enjoyment of tending a fire. Let's face it - playing with fire is a lot of fun. And this grill looks like it would be super fun for a whole host of fire-related reasons!!!

Comment

I have an IWatch. But it doesn’t cook very well.

Comment

• Alphonse
                Alphonse commented
                Editing a comment
                Steve, doesn't it have a fireplace app on it?

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Alphonse I believe it does. But from what I know. You can only use it once. 😂

• ComfortablyNumb
                Editing a comment
                Isn't the firewall supposed to protect it? Make sure that is up to date prior to using the fireplace app.

Interesting to see this come up, and as I recently had someone give me a box of electronics that included a Sony Watchman it’s probably a trademark infringement in the making!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                Editing a comment
                Those were discontinued in 2000.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, discontinued and useless since the shift to digital broadcasts.

Alphonse thanks for the photos. How much does this thing weigh? When you say 'camp' is that a permanent site?

Comment

• Alphonse
                Alphonse commented
                Editing a comment
                Guessing it weighs 75 or 80 pounds. I recently made a dolly to move it around and to get it into its storage spot without herniating myself. BTW, they sell the stove with or without the handle slots. I highly recommend the slots. Makes it easy for two folks to move it around.

Our camp is a permanent spot.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here