Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning Your Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning Your Smoker

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering how each of you may clean your smoker?

- Do you heat it up to a high temp to clean it?
    - Do you power wash it out?
    - What do you do?

I have a Backwoods Party. I power wash the grates every so often but what do you do with the inside?

I would love to hear everyone's experience.

Thanks,
    Rob

i have a gmg d boone, about every 3 cooks i change reynolds wrap on the drip tray, and vacuum out the fire box. piece of cake.

Comment

Don't really have a "smoker".
      PBC just gets ash removal after cooks.
      Weber get a good scraping with a razorblade once or twice a year as needed.

Comment

my grates are 5ft. long I use easy off oven cleaner and take them to DIY carwash to rinse.I shovel out the cook chamber.

Comment

I clean my Weber kettle every 4 or 5 years whether or not it needs it.

Comment

I scrape out the inside of my okj every cook, kettle clean out ash n scrape, gasser every so often, when it starts catching on fire

Comment

Sweep the ashes out of the firebox of my Old Country Over and Under, take the grates down to the DIY car wash, and scrape the grease out of the bottom of the cooking chamber with a wide putty knife. Periodically wipe down the exterior with mineral oil.

Comment

In addition to what has already been said, prior to a cook, I scrape off anything flaky on the lid and/or wipe off anything drippy looking. I don't want anything unwelcome dropping into my food.

Comment

If I had cleaned my last grill, it would have fallen apart. Regardless, after I set it out front with an old chimney it was gone that day.

I wire brush the kettles into the ash can after every use, have a drip pan with water in the SnS kettle, and use foil on the outer racetrack on the performer with the vortex.

I wire brush all the grates - well the brush looks like wire but it's actually wound wire balls that won't shed - after every cook while hot. I seasoned the grill I converted into a smoker followed with a hot burn on it's first lighting, and it wipes down well after each cook.

When I need to, I use Easy Off and a pressure washer for everything else. I really should trailer that and take it to a car wash to do - I have an Expedition and am building a trailer. I'm good with Easy Off because I generally have to use it every time after my wife uses the oven. ;o)

I'm building a 55G UDS and will put a Weber kettle lid on it with a gasket. I guess I'd pressure wash the inside of that if I needed to? I kinda like the smoky buildup.

Everything has a cover but the UDS.

Comment

I clean out the WSM about once or twice during the summer. Haven't had to clean the Rec-Tec yet other than to empty the drip bucket.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Generally speaking, cleaning is not such an easy process and requires a lot of time and dedication, and I don't have any of that. I have a job that takes up most of my time and in addition, I don't even like to clean. At first, I saw this as a mini problem but after that, I realized that there is a good solution, namely to go to special companies that offer cleaning services of any kind. That's how I came across niftytilecleaning.com.au and already for a regular year they solve all my cleaning problems and I don't have any worries.
                      Last edited by Soryu; April 23, 2021, 04:26 AM.

Comment

• RonB
                        RonB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Welcome to The Pit. Tell us what you like to cook, and what you like to cook it on.

High heat burn off for my BGE and WSCG

Comment

• JCBBQ
                        JCBBQ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yep. Same w the Primo

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here