Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Smoker Thermostat Features on a Combustable Smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Smoker Thermostat Features on a Combustable Smoker?

First let me say I love the site. I've been checking it out for some time and just joined the The Pit. I am a busy Dad who loves to smoke, but don't always have time to tend the fires. All day hockey trips and softball tourneys cut into how often I can smoke up a brisket or pork butt on the Weber kettle. Based on reviews here, I've been checking out the Cook Shack Electric Super Smoker becasue it has a thermostat that maintains one temp for cooking, then drops to warming temp once the meat hits the desired temp. A true set it and forget it option. However the reviews here say electric smokers don't produce the same flavor as combustion type smokers. Is there a combustion type smoker that offers the same "cooking temp dropping to a warming temp" feature? Your input or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also, if I put this question in the wrong spot, please let me know (nicely.) (As an aside, is there a spell checker option for these posts?) Thanks.

I don't know about the "cooking temp dropping to a warming temp" feature you speak of, but better pellet smokers can be pretty "set it and forget it", or so I'm told.

DEW

Comment

My Memphis Advantage will do that when using it's (optional) meat probe. Note that the Advantage will only drop to 200, the next model up will drop to 180. I'm pretty sure the Mak units have even more features, but I'll let a Mak owner chime in.

Comment

You're probably looking for a pellet cooker. They have SIFI capabilities, thermostat dials, and actual combustion.

As far as spellcheck, nothing here on The Pit for spellcheck, but I know if you use Firefox browser anything you type anywhere will underline in red if it's misspelled.

Welcome to The Pit! Head over to the Introduce Yourself channel to give us a bio, and since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos!

Hope to hear & see more from you.

Comment

I would be really careful about what you're trying to do. Do you really enjoy food that has been kept under a warming light for hours? I have a Bradley digital smoker, and can control oven and smoking times separately - set it and forget it. . I have it for the same reasons you described, but can't set the temperature to change automatically. I wouldn't want to do what you're describing for taste and food safety reasons. For those busy days, you may want to think about smoking in a set and forget mode overnight - pulling it off in the morning and refrigerating until you return. Smoke while you sleep! I haven't had any complaints about the taste of my BBQ coming out of the Bradley.
          Last edited by GESWho; September 11, 2015, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here