Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions on Smoking a Turkey in a Digital Electric Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on Smoking a Turkey in a Digital Electric Smoker

My entire immediate family (me and my wife, our four kids, their significant others, three grandchildren and a dog) have assembled at a VRBO for Thanksgiving week. The owner has a Masterbuilt Digital Electric Smoker that we can use for the turkey tomorrow. Having never used an electric smoker before (I have a PBC and have used my Weber kettle in the past), I am looking for recommendations so I don't screw up the family meal. It is a 16-lb bird.
    • Any recommendations on time and temperature?
    • It looks like it will be a close fit. If it doesn't fit and I have to go with two halves, do I go skin up or skin down on the grates?
    • Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

I have an electric smoker. It only goes up to 250 degrees which a little lower than ideal in my opinion. I have smoked chicken in it and the skin comes out rubbery. Not enough heat to crisp it up. If the one you will be using can get over 300 you should be fine. 325-350 is better.

Comment

You’re a brave man to trust a cooker you’ve never used. Personally, I’d load up my smoker and bring it with me!

Good luck and happy Thanksgiving. Hoping to read a good report post-cook!

Comment

All's well that ends well. Thanks to the two of you who responded. The smoker could only be set to 275 degrees but ran a little hot. Around 285-290. Turkey was done in about 4-1/2 hours (16-lbs) which was faster than I expected. Turned out great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey0.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1132453 Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey 1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1132454

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here