Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Searing with portable induction cooktop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    johnec00 What Will describes is what I saw, but probably worse with cast iron. That’s why I wonder if like an 8” cast iron would just hold heat better and not lose so much.
    Last edited by glitchy; September 2, 2021, 11:53 PM.

• willxfmr
    commented on 's reply
    johnec00 It's one of the NuWave models. Not sure of the exact model.

• johnec00
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the info. If you don't mind, what brand and/or model is the burner you use?

• willxfmr
    replied
    That's how I do steaks at work.
    Sous Vide then dry and sear in a 12" carbon pan set on a portable 1500W induction burner. You have to allow a little recovery time between steaks, but it does work well. I will usually add a little oil to the pan to help with browning, but it also works with a dry pan. As for the pan size, I prefer having a larger pan so that each flip of the meat lands on a new, and still hot part of the pan.

Yes, steak cookouts are a thing where I work. Totally off the books, and kept on the down low, but they are great team builders. There are a few advantages to working while all the bosses are home sleeping.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Should work. Give it a try and post pictures. Go or No go.

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    replied
    If you try it, I would recommend using as small as pan as possible that will work. The portable burners are generally a little small for 12” cast iron skillets.

Leave a comment:

• johnec00
    started a topic Searing with portable induction cooktop?

Searing with portable induction cooktop?

Anybody have any experience or thoughts on using a single burner portable induction cooktop with cast iron or carbon steel pan to sear steak? Supposedly the 120V/1800-2200W ones can get to 460-500º which is above the smoke point of most oils. Just thinking about a simple way to make a single person steak.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here