Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Induction Cookware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Induction Cookware

I purchased a new range for the cabin and opted for induction. Now I need to consider cookware. Do you have any recommendations or general advice about induction cooking?

I bought a set of Cooks Standard on Amazon in anticipation of someday switching to an induction range and also due for a new cookware set. We have a tabletop induction burner that it works well on. We also have a home essentials non stick skillet from Target that works fine on it. We have been using the Cooks Standard for 4 plus years now and have had no problems. We don’t use the skillets a lot, but the pans almost daily.

This is the set we have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have lots of sets it appears now and I picked up that particular set on a deal at the time. A different set of theirs might be a better deal at the moment.

Comment

Funny... I was just looking at new cooktops and thought about induction. I think we're going to opt to go from electric to gas, though. I just don't want to buy all new cookware. No way.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I was tempted to go gas but it would mean installing a propane tank so I went with induction.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I couldn't be happier with my conversion to natural gas last fall.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I have no end to projects out here. I'm not adding another and the range gets delivered tomorrow.

I bought this set @ Costco. It is a knock off of the All Clad Copper Core. Actually very impressive.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        That's about the right price for at the cabin. I don't need anything too fancy.

• Primo
        Primo commented
        Editing a comment
        These look great, thx -- you are sure these work well on induction? I ask only because it looks like a lot of the core is non-ferrous and the Costco website doesn't seem to mention induction.

Don't forget that yur CI works well on induction.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm in a humid environment and away for 10 months of the year. So CI is more of a challenge out here.

Congratulations induction is awesome. The low temperature control is incredible and I hadn't really considered that. Enameled cast iron works well and is easier to care for. In general if a magnet sticks your good. Obviously you can check anything new for induction safe. The only thing I was really caught off guard on was the whirly pop, had to upgrade to the stainless steel model.

Comment

We switched to induction about 18 months ago and haven’t looked back. Like above we use lots of enamel cast iron, normal cast iron, and for my pots and pans I got a factory second set from All Clad. It’s a bit more expensive but I find that they were certainly worth the cost. The whirly pop got us too, I ended up finding one on Amazon Warehouse Deals for pretty reasonable, I just had to knock the dent out the side haha

Comment

Primo, I got them last fall and have used them exclusively on my induction unit. Never yet been on my electric stove.

Comment

Dont think it matters much. It needs to be magnetic, that is all. Cast iron or carbon steel is the best, I cant think of anything more magnetic. And in the case of carbon steel, a thin pan will heat up and cool down faster, which is nifty. Heat off means HEAT OFF. Fast.

Other than that its gonna be stainless steel or copper or aluminum or whatever with steel sandwiched in the bottom. Still good, nothing at all wrong with it. But the stronger a magnet sticks to it, the better it works. As long as you have that it is all good.

Comment

If someone does have a favorite real copper or aluminum pan you can use those with an induction burner. You just need to buy a diffuser plate:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 12.44.37 PM.png
Views:	247
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1068648

It sits on the burner and the pot sits on it.

Comment

I cook on all CI on our Induction Cooktop. You just have to remember that your heat source is now the bottom of the pan and not below the pan, so take great caution with how high you set your "Medium" heat for example. Mine has a scale from 1-10.
                I would say that 4 is a better medium heat than 5 would be. Things just cook a bit hotter.

Having said that, if you use a thermopop, they will not work with induction. They have susceptibility issues in the 50kHz range where induction cooktops operate (25kHz or 50kHz). It doesn't matter which one you'd get as it will be effected by either. I'll keep the boring EMC mumbo jumbo out for you.

The Mk4 however does not have any issues here.

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll keep that in mind and now I have a pretty good excuse to get the new Thermopen One as I do use a Thermopop here at the cabin.

Same reason I ended up buying the Mk4! I haven't seen a real need to upgrade to the One yet myself. I leave the Mk4 for indoor cooking and have about 6 Thermopops for other various places like the motorhome/blackstone and outdoor cooking!
                Good luck in your search!

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I leave my Mk4 in the Outdoor Kitchen at home. Then I have a Thermopop in the inside kitchen, at the cabin, and in my travel pack.

Frigidaire Ready Cook Cookware is the perfect cookware and utensil set to help you prepare delicious meals. Our 12-Piece stainless steel set features a 1.5 qt. sauce pot with lid, 3 qt. saute pan, 5 qt.

I was skeptical when these were first suggested to me as I had never known that Frigidaire had cookware. This set is extremely well made, easy to clean and meets all of our cookware needs. Very impressed, especially for the price.

Comment

Attjack I don’t know if you are a nonstick guy at all, but https://www.greenpan.us is having a friends 40% off sale with FRIEND40. They do nice ceramic non stick and have some nice stainless multiply models for induction. Been using their cheaper non stick from Target for years and been happy, I just ordered a pair of their Venice Pro Noir for induction use.
                  Last edited by glitchy; August 6, 2021, 11:14 AM. Reason: Fixed URL, sorry

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks. I'm not big on non-stick but I was thinking it would be nice to get a set with a single non-stick pan in the mix.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here