Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellets in the MES chip tray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellets in the MES chip tray?

I got one of those pellet burners to use in my MES for cold smoking (cheese, salmon, etc).

Unfortunately, pellets come in 20 pound bags, enough for years. I have nothing else to use them in, so I have a question.

Can I use pellets in the chip tray of my MES instead of wood chips? That would give me another use for them.

Thanks for any advice

I don’t see why not. Try it out with no meat in the cooker and see what happens maybe? Only put a moderate amount in the tray though. Just a thought. Also you can buy small sampler bags of pellets on Amazon.

Comment

https://bbqrsdelight.com sells pellets in 1 pound bags that would be perfect for you plus there are a ton of flavours. I believe if you can't find them locally they are sold on Amazon.

Comment

+1 on the suggestion by Davek8282 that you consider the 1 lb. bags of BBQrsDelight flavor pellets. Amazon has a variety pack of them that won't last you quite forever ... but it will last a good long time for the way you need to use them. I highly recommend them ...

Comment

I think you would definitely want to try it once not cooking, I would fear that just in the chip tray, they will fully ignite and burn off rapidly instead of smoldering very long. I’ve never tried it, so just a guess of what might happen versus when you pack them into the tube for cold smoking.

Comment

They work great in a smoke tube, don't see why they would not do the same in a tray.

Comment

A few electric element controlled smokers specify not to use pellets and only use chips, I would check the manual maybe? I don't know what the reason would be, in my brain wood is wood as long as it fits.

Comment

Sounds like a perfect excuse to have to buy a pellet cooker. No sense letting that bag of pellets go to waste.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here