Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choosing a Sanctioning Organization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing a Sanctioning Organization

Is it even necessary to have a rules "overlord"? If you have a good idea of how you want the contest to run, can publish rules so competitors know what to do, have a scoring system and method of producing results -- the answer is NO!

What a sanctioning organization does to assist contest organizers (in addition to the three things above) is open the event up to a list of already established competitors and in some cases, judges.

Some events choose a sanctioning body because it's close. If I'm doing an event in Texas, it's likely that IBCA, LSBS or one of the others will be used. Though KCBS has made in roads into Texas in the last several years and IBCA is strong in Louisiana, New Mexico with some contests in Arkansas and Oklahoma as well. IBCA even has an event in Hilo in July! Down side from a competitor's perspective is that there are no score sheets in Texas rules. If you don't make the top 10 or "finals table" you have no feedback from the judges. "Certified" judges are not required under these rules. Judging is not comparative. Turn ins (what's in the box) are very structured. 1/2 chicken (fully jointed), pork spare ribs (placed horizontally to the box hinge) and brisket slices (7 as thick as a pencil). Judges have a plastic fork and knife to cut a small sample off of each entry. Lots of forks and knives are used! Judging table structure depends on the number of teams cooking.

KCBS has the largest number of sanctioned events in the USA! Judging is again not comparative. Judges are "trained" in the KCBS judging method. Contest officials are trained to conduct the contest according to KCBS rules, enter scores and maintain the double blind. Score sheets are given to each competitor showing the detailed scoring, judge's average scores at that event, table the entry was judged on and where it scored against the other entries judged at that table. Basically, there's a judge for every team. Normally, each table of 6 judges will score from 4 to 6 samples in each category. Teams are instructed to turn in enough meat for 6 judges. There is flexibility in how meat is presented to judges. Through the end of July 2014, almost 5,000 distinct teams had competed at KCBS events.

So if I win a local competition, that is not sanctioned, what does that mean in the greater realm of things? As compared to the comp being sanctioned.

I've never competed, although we do have a local one once a year.

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Bragging rights! For many local BBQ businesses, that means more than any sanctioned win.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      That makes sense.....

It means you are a ringer who is beating up on the "Little Guy" - NOT, just trying some humor.

What I really believe is that you probably missed out on some money. I bet that your product would probably "sneak up" on some pro competition and get you a placement for the dollars handed out. I have obviously never eaten any of your Q but your vast experience with the PBC and previous to PBC experience would probably put you in the running. I guess it would be some sort of luck involved to happen to have the flavor profile that the judges for a day are looking for. If you had one PBC for brisket and one for ribs you would probably do well in both categories of a large competition. We hope to know if you do decide to throw your hat into the ring at a major comp.

Comment

Too bad I have an infinite negative desire to compete.

I'm not into travelling and all the things that go along with it. I may try out the local thingee if I don't have to work.

Comment

I have competed in a non sanctioned event a few times. Just for the fun of it, and the yummy sounds! I was fortunate enough to win the People's Choice Award in the last one I did but didn't even place on the judges scorecards. You have to take these things with a grain of salt and an open mind. In the local competition I do, the People's Choice is the one most of the competitors want anyway. The judges are usually local celebs and don't know much about bbq. I'd like to try my hand at a sanctioned event sometime just to see what happens but I'm with Jerod. The traveling would be probably more than I would want to endure. The important thing for me is getting out and cooking all night with a great bunch of guys and trying all of the variations.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeh, trying and seeing new stuff would be the key for me. Although I am told not to change a thing on what I cook at home. I saw enough episodes of Pitmasters on Youtube to say, "huh??" a couple hundred times.

I organize two BBQ championships and a chili cook off every year. Traveling teams want national sanctioning such as KCBS or IBCA so they can qualify for the Royal and the Jack Daniels draw

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here