Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bbq judging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bbq judging

Having judged over 30 KCBS events (37 now), cooked with a team, and passed the dreaded written test, I am now a Master Certified Barbecue Judge. It is a nice milestone recognition sort of thing. I have learned a LOT from the experience. KCBS cooks are great, happy to help out and answer questions, the judges share things, etc. A lot like here. BBQ people are the greatest.
    Last edited by Mark V; October 29, 2020, 09:46 PM.

Congrats!

Comment

Great job

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Great tune, reminds me of the great Flip Wilson

Very cool.

Comment

Congrats. I have 35 comps under my judging belt and have cooked with a team plus competed a couple of times being responsible for brisket and pulled pork. But have not yet ventured to take the test. Maybe someday.

What do you think the future holds for KCBS comps? I think I judged just one event in 2020. Not sure if there will be any in 2021 due to the resistance of COVID-19. Also, seeing a lot less of comps through the years due to lack of sponsorships. I think the bbq competition fad might be waning.
              Last edited by TripleB; October 30, 2020, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Congratulations from a fellow CBJ. I judged two contests this year in Warsaw, IN and Shelbyville, IN. What I observed is that because there were fewer contests this year, these two contests drew teams from all over the US. I don't aspire to become a master judge. I am content to judge a contest or two per year so I can talk to the people on the teams.

Comment

Wonder if there is a Canadian equivilent to KBCS, 31 working days to retirement and I'm going to need a hobby of some kind or a splintered marriage is in my future.

Comment

• Mark V
                    Mark V commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We get judges from Canada here in Minnesota, there must be some contests there. You won't be sorry if you try it.

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mark V Good to know, will have to do some research
                    Thank you

Very cool! Congratuations!

Comment

Congrats Mark! I'll try to remember to mention/tag you when we have KCBS judging questions 'round here.

Comment

Good job Mark V.!! I've cooked that many, judged 5-6, we had just one locally last weekend, last year there were 51 teams, this year 74, I think. I talked to some fellow cookers, that normally do 12 per year, cut back to 5 this year. Not sure with this C-19 where we will be next year. Even though safe practices were made by cook's and judges. Many were canceled this year.

Comment

• Mark V
                        Mark V commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think every cook should judge also. Best way to see what is expected, but also to see what is being turned in by other cooks.

Very cool, any tips on getting certified in judging? I think I would like to try and plan on working towards being a judge, rather then a competitor.

Comment

• Mark V
                        Mark V commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Go to www.kcbs.us. You will see a drop down for Education, then click Judging Classes.
                        Follow the link there and fill out the form to find classes by you in the time frame you want.
                        I checked for you, doesn't look good for this year unless you want to drive about 400 miles. Most judging classes are in the spring. New classes for next year won't be posted yet.
                        Most years there are classes March - May in Cedar Rapids and Johnston, IA and Cambridge, MN. Those would be closest to you.
                        Last edited by Mark V; June 10, 2021, 06:09 PM.

• Mark V
                        Mark V commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I am in the Twin Cities. I will be judging a competition by you this Saturday the 12th. Will be at the Neshonoc Lakeside Resort in West Salem. I see there is a good airshow this weekend in La Crosse, also, so might see some of that. I wish I knew when the Blue Angels are scheduled. Can't seem to find that.

On the way back I plan on stopping at Buffalo Gal in Houston, MN to pick up some Bison
                        and maybe other things.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here