Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KCBS Certified Judges Class being offered in MN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KCBS Certified Judges Class being offered in MN

Hello, to all my barbecue friends in the bold north. The MN BBQ Society just posted a KCBS Judging class for 3/9/19.

interesting. I am already a member. May be I should check this out. Are you going?

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      You need to do this.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Perhaps, a few guys in my office went last year and said it was fun. Craigar

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker I am toying with the idea of going to one this year. Unfortunately, the one scheduled for March 2nd here in Omaha conflicts with what we have already scheduled.

I am. I've been waiting and hoping there would be one offered around here. I almost signed up for one in Peoria, IL in March, sure glad I didn't. I'm hitting the backyard competition scene this spring and summer and thought it might not be a bad idea to learn what the judges are all about.

Comment

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      DoubleUpOrQuit that sounds fun. I'm not interested in competition but if you need a taste tester I would volunteer! Lol.

• DoubleUpOrQuit
      DoubleUpOrQuit commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve R. Did you feel the class paid off?

Skip I might need to take you up on that, my wife and kid are starting to audibly grown when I say the work chicken.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel like it did help me understand the expectations a little better. I doubt I will ever branch out and compete other than the handful of backyard comps close by. I'm just not that into it. I am going to try to judge a few competitions this year, though.

I highly recommend it. I took the class last March and it's great. The instructor is different this year, but she seems to be involved all over. At the very least it's your ticket to be able to judge backyard and pro BBQ contests. You should be able to do Minnesota in May once certified. That's a really fun one. I want to try judging American Royal sometime.

I liked judging so much I flew to Memphis last fall to get certified for the World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contes for Memphis in May. That's an entire different scoring system and they actually make you take a pre-exam and post-exam with a required score of 70. Super pumped for judging that this May.
    Last edited by SteinerBBQ; February 6, 2019, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• DoubleUpOrQuit
      DoubleUpOrQuit commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to hear you enjoyed the class. The backyard competition at Minnesota in May this year will be my first experience competition cooking. I'm both nervous and super excited. I figured learning how to judge can only help me in my preparations for this. To your note, at the very least I'll be able to put my name in the running for judging a competition sometime.

• SteinerBBQ
      SteinerBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! I judged backyard at Minnesota in May last year. You'll have a great time. Good luck!

I plan on trying a few backyards down the road for fun. Waiting for my new Humphries to come in to get used to it.

I don't see any new entries here, but you can get a feel of how varied appearance scores are.

Certified BBQ Judges score competition BBQ boxes online submitted by competition cooks.

• DoubleUpOrQuit
      DoubleUpOrQuit commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the link SteinerBBQ

I am a KCBS judge/table captain and also a MN BBQ Society member. I just volunteered to help with the class, if selected I will
    be there.

I definitely recommend taking the class if you are going to enter a KCBS competition. That is the best way to see what the judges look for, and how you will be judged. Then I would judge at least one event, you will see and try a lot of entries, see what is expected and how you stack up. You can also take a cooking class geared towards KCBS competitions, you can find them on the KCBS site. Another thing you can try is finding a KCBS team to cook with at a competition. You could
    go to an event and talk to the teams, one of them might take you on. You can find the events on the KCBS site.

Comment

• DoubleUpOrQuit
      DoubleUpOrQuit commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mark V Hope to see you at the class.

I just joined.. I may have to look into this.. I would like to do some competition cooking in the future..

Comment

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      I would be cooking competition BBQ now .. if I wasn't starting a meat locker.. maybe next year we can have a meat cutting class..

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I would be down for that for sure! Where is your locker?

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      Milaca

I will be at the class, as a table captain. My name is Mark and last initial V, will probably be wearing a lanyard with a KCBS badge saying so. I have no way of identifying any of you that will be there so be on the lookout and say hi.

Comment

• DoubleUpOrQuit
      DoubleUpOrQuit commented
      Editing a comment
      I missed you at the class Saturday, Mark V I was looking for a name badge but never found it. I did really enjoy the class, lots of good information.

Everything cool in the BBQ world is a full day’s drive away form me. At least. Many would require passage on a jet aircraft.

And to make matters even weirder, I would have to go NORTH. I’m south of the Deep South.

The FL BBQ association has stuff closer to home. Lakeland is only about 4 hours away.

Comment

Having just finished judging at Memphis in May I would highly recommend becoming a certified judge for that event if you love great BBQ, are up for judging, and a weekend in Memphis.

Doing on-site judging where the teams take you through the whole process was a much more enriching experience for me personally than blind boxes. While I enjoy KCBS comps in MN, Memphis in May is just in another league and I enjoyed judging in the South with the big names of BBQ.

The highlight for me this weekend was being one of 3 judges who got to judge Chris Lilly and Big Bob Gibson. Hands down the best shoulder I've ever tried. Was so awesome as he showed me his pit, types of hickory he uses, when he sources it and more.
      Last edited by SteinerBBQ; May 19, 2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        What a great experience. Very cool.

Originally posted by GourmandPhil View Post
      Having just finished judging at Memphis in May I would highly recommend becoming a certified judge for that event if you love great BBQ, are up for judging, and a weekend in Memphis.

Doing on-site judging where the teams take you through the whole process was a much more enriching experience for me personally than blind boxes. While I enjoy KCBS comps in MN, Memphis in May is just in another league and I enjoyed judging in the South with the big names of BBQ.

The highlight for me this weekend was being one of 3 judges who got to judge Chris Lilly and Big Bob Gibson. Hands down the best shoulder I've ever tried. Was so awesome as he showed me his pit, types of hickory he uses, when he sources it and more.
      Very cool. I have thought about doing this, just never pulled the trigger.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here