Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Judging first contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judging first contest

I completed my CBJ training a few weeks back. I am judging my first contest next week: 2nd annual Smithfield BBQ Classic. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it and I am interested to see this side of the BBQ world.

Good luck , and thanx for the reminder. I may swing by just to look around.

Comment

We'll expect a full report!

Comment

• MoCollards
        MoCollards commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes indeed!

I predict you'll get some fine pork to sample and evaluate!

Comment

Sounds like fun!

Comment

I’m jealous. I was going to go to training a couple of weeks ago but couldn’t make it work. Enjoy some good Q!

Comment

• MoCollards
            MoCollards commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! Yes, I'm interested, in part, for the good nibbles.

Originally posted by MoCollards View Post
          I completed my CBJ training a few weeks back. I am judging my first contest next week: 2nd annual Smithfield BBQ Classic. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it and I am interested to see this side of the BBQ world.
          Judging is fun
          just remember comp q is very different from
          restaurant and backyard
          enjoy the day

Comment

Good luck. But hearing of all the tricks competitors use to get the results they want, I personally might want a spit bucket like wine tasters have. Taste and then ... 😊

Comment

I have judged one, some tip's - take some zip lock bags and put a few left overs to take home. #2 put a damp wash cloth in a zip lock, to wipe your hands, #3 remember do not lick your fingers, so hard to do. #4 one bite each, or you will to full for brisket. #5 wait a little while before writing down your score, let the flavors roam around in your mouth. #6 put a cooler with beer in your car, after judging you can walk around looking at pit's and talk to cooks. #7 have fun.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
                mrteddyprincess commented
                Editing a comment
                Good points--all of them! I suggest start with smaller bites until you can tell whether what you're eating is a salt bomb. Sometimes competitors get carried away with the salt profile, IMHO.

• MoCollards
                MoCollards commented
                Editing a comment
                All of these are good points. Especially the beer

I would like to try this sometime. If nothing else, it would be cool to geek out with a bunch of other BBQ nerds.

Comment

• MoCollards
                MoCollards commented
                Editing a comment
                Geekin' out and learning more about the competitive world of BBQ is my main motivation. Many moons ago I worked in kitchens and was a sous chef for a spell, so I'm interested in this alternate perspective on judging food.

Does sound like fun, but pretty different cooking tricks will make it tough to score.

Comment

• MoCollards
                MoCollards commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed. With this being my first time judging, I'm just going to do my best to follow the KCBS rules and try to have a little fun -- and hopefully get some tasty meat.

Well, it's been a minute or two for my follow up post to my first few competitions as a judge. I was signing up for a few more competitions in upcoming months and thought I'd reflect on my experience thus far.

The biggest take-home message I can impart is I do not know if the judge training is adequate. For example, I wish at the judge training someone would have mentioned that it is considered a serious issue if you grade something below a 7 (on a 9 point scale). At the class, it seemed like the entire continuum of scores was fair game, which makes sense, with a 1 or 2 being something that is totally inedible (or disqualified), 3 and 4 edible but not tasty, etc. For one the samples, I used a 6 for tenderness (it didn't seem really tender to me). Anything below a 7 in one of the categories (appearance, taste, tenderness) and you are informed by the table captain to write a comment. I was also pulled aside and was told I was scoring too low. Again, I came in approaching this from an objective point of view and also as a person who teaches statistics to uninterested psychology majors (and thus I have a background in test and measures). Long story short, the trainers need to make this clear because I ruined someone's day (which is understandable if a 7 is a kiss of death -- I would have been upset, too, if I were on the other side). It was unintentional and due to ignorance, and I felt pretty bad about it.

Despite my first major judging faux pas, I had a great time and ate some great BBQ.

At my second competition judging, my scores were on target with the table average. In the brisket and pork categories, I was a nudge higher than average, but within one standard deviation. So in short, I was able to calibrate my scoring the second time around, understanding a 7 will basically eliminate a team from the competition. I don't know if I still entirely get the scoring exactly, but I at least felt like I performed in a way a typical judge would.

At both competitions I ate amazing chicken! I couldn't believe a few of the pieces I came across -- just juicy, delicious, and skin that takes a bite perfectly. The other categories varied a lot for me, but shoot! You know when you have eaten something good when you think about it months later. O that delicious chicken...

I am judging a few more competitions this year as I have some free time over the next few months. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about judging and the organization of the competition. Maybe one day I'll be on the other side, will get the crappy score, and can maybe laugh it off knowing it is karma's wheel spinning full force at me.

Until then, smokin' on. Cheers!

Comment

• Mark V
                Mark V commented
                Editing a comment
                As another judge, 29 events, I can say you will evolve in your opinions.You will experience some things that will make you wonder, and others that are wonderful.

Judging is a lot of fun. As said above, pace yourself during the comp or you will be stuffed when you get to brisket, bring a small cooler (what can fit under your chair - they’re starting to crack down on the cooler size) with plastic bags for your take home and I always bring a small, moist soft towel to wipe my hands and face on. Don’t like tearing up and moistening paper towels. And listen to the master judges at your table. They have a lot of experience and usually want to help out and encourage the newer judges.

Enjoy!

Comment

• MoCollards
                MoCollards commented
                Editing a comment
                Good advice, TripleB. I had the opportunity to sit with seasoned judges at both events and they were very helpful. I am judging another event in a few weeks and I am looking forward to tasting some good BBQ and learning a few new things.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here