Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Judging school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judging school

going to judging school this weekend at the Jack 10/27/17 , anyone have any tips?

No tips, just well wishes. Have fun!

Comment

Learn good!

Comment

This will be the time to be judgemental.

Comment

Welcome randy56

Comment

Nothing from me other then have fun, take notes and tell us all about it.

Comment

Enjoy it. What an honor to be judging to Jack! Congratulations!

Comment

Be prepared to "never compare". I still don't understand that one. 'Judge each offering on its own. Let the scores compare at the end, but you don't compare.'
                Sorry, but if one is excellent and the next isn't, it gets a lower score from me. The teacher got mad at me when I rated an offering, which he said he'd give a 9, but I had rated as a 6 or 7 or something. He asked why and I said it tasted like my mom made it in a crock pot. Everyone laughed but it made him upset. He said, loudly, like an angry substitute teacher in a junior high science class "YOU'RE COMPARING, DON'T DO THAT, NEVER COMPARE!".. [eyeroll].

Comment

Thanks to all, looking forward to it, 90 Domestic and International Teams and 25,000 Fans Ready to Celebrate 29 years of the Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue.

Barbecue teams from around the world are preparing to smoke, season and sear their way to a chance to be named the Grand Champion at the 29th Annual Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue in historic Lynchburg on Saturday, Oct. 28.

Comment

Follow up on Judging school, Out of frustration, after cooking at 5 KCBS contest this year. And receiving lower scores that expected, I attended the school at the Jack. To better understand my future in competition cooking. Now I can say that I'm a certified barbecue judge. Being on the cooks side of looking at there methods of teaching folks to be a good judge they do a very good job of trying to make it as fair as possible. And I do not know how anyone could make it any better. And yes Huskee, Never compare, has to be the most difficult part. When you take a bite of someone's else food, the human mind compare's the product to you own, to restaurant quality, and others you have had in the past. Good luck with that one.
                    Now I understand score's much better, The food served, was not a very good BBQ, how ever it worked well for the teaching of the class. 66 people attended, so here is one example of a new judge, first is chicken, we tabulated our scores, and the instructor ask around the room who gave this chicken a 9, only one woman. When he ask why she scored it a 9. Now it's about 2:30 in the afternoon, class started at 11am. So her response to the instructor was I'm hungry! that's why I gave it a 9.
                    Out of the 66 attending only about 15% or less were cooks, or competed in BBQ contest. If you have ever considered attending a KCBS judging school please do so, It is a great program, we need good Judges, It's amazing how many people donated there time to come to the class and help out, to make it a successful. And what a great group of people they were. Could go on but my typing finger is tired.
                    Yes, I joined the pit in August, and have been on here almost every day since. And until last week have been quietly reading your post and information. This website has to be the greatest source of information on BBQ there is.

Comment

• kmhfive
                      kmhfive commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Congratulations! What an amazing experience. It will do nothing but help you. Glad you enjoyed it.

Congrats, Randy! It is hard to think how they want you to. The benefit of the current methodology is fairness (at least in theory), but if no offerings are any good (to you) then you rate all low if you can't compare. If you get to rank offerings 1-10 on which you like best, then to me that's a better way to get a clear winner. It depends on how you think. There is no perfect judging system.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here