Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Judged my 6th KCBS Contest on Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judged my 6th KCBS Contest on Saturday

I judged my 6th KCBS contest on Saturday, a Backyard event in Arab, Alabama. The food was excellent - as good or better than I've had at any judging event yet. And it was run by very excellent KCBS reps.

I'm not normally a big fan of pork butt/shoulder, but it was really good on Saturday. Two of the money muscle entries were excellent, because they were perfectly cooked, and they had great bark on them as well. This was the first time I'd seen money muscle with nice bark. I guess the cooks extracted it before it reached the finish temperature, and then finished it on a hot smoker or grill to form the bark. I have no idea how they did it, but it was very nice and well-received by all us judges.

There was one chicken entry at my table that got 9-9-9 (highest score possible) from all 6 judges. It was the best chicken thigh I've ever had. It was one of two pieces of meat I sampled today that I devoured. I cleaned the bones of that chicken thigh. Its appearance made me anxious to taste it, its bite-thru skin was "easy", its taste was wonderful, and its finish heat was surprisingly pleasant.

My pet peeve in BBQ judging is "too much sauce". If a piece of meat looks like it would drip sauce if turned on its side, then I deduct a full point on the appearance score.

Cooks, remember that we judges are required to eat with our fingers. Although we are allowed to serve ourselves from your turn-in box with a fork, we are actually required to eat with our fingers, because KCBS considers BBQ a "finger food". And they argue that it can be fully assessed for tenderness only if eaten with fingers. So please go easy on the sauce. I and most of the judges I've talked with much prefer this: light, carmelized sauce. If I pick up a piece of chicken and have dripping sauce all over my fingers, I don't like it. It makes for an unpleasant eating experience.

Most of the rib entries had a wonderful flavor, but most were either under-cooked (tough) or over-cooked (fall off the bone). Only one was cooked to KCBS tenderness guidelines.

Cooks, please remove the membrane from pork ribs. Failure to do so results in a bad eating experience for judges, and definitely affects your scores.

Next week I'm judging a contest in Birmingham, AL. At the Barber International Motorcycle Speedway. I'll finally get to eat competition brisket. And there's a somewhat famous motorcycle museum there I'm looking forward to seeing.
    Last edited by TBoneJack; May 18, 2017, 06:09 PM.

Thanks for the wonderful insights! Good luck in Birmingham.

Comment

Been going to the Barber Vintage Festival in October for the last eight years. Beautiful place. The museum is incredible. If you can make the time it is a must see.

Comment

Thanks for your sharing. I don't ever plan to compete but enjoy reading about the experience.

Comment

• bardsleyque
          bardsleyque commented
          Editing a comment
          Compete on motorcycles?(I used to)or BBQ I haven't yet

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          lol, I meant judging BBQ competitions. bardsleyque

And the inevitable finally happened this week: while I was serving myself a piece of chicken from a turn-in box, I dropped it on the floor (one piece of chicken, not the whole box). And as I agreed to do when I became a judge, I picked it up, brushed it off, and took a bite.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          5-second rule!!!!

Well, the thirty-second rule has been shown to be a poor guess. Should be fine!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll do 30-seconds offa th' ground. Country Boy. Food comes from th' Earth. No prob.
          Somebody's floor? Well, who knows what's on that? Gack!!!!

• TBoneJack
          TBoneJack commented
          Editing a comment
          I've probably eaten worse.

TBoneJack, Mr. Bones, kmhfive, Why Hell Boys I don't know one damned thing about Judging BBQ and Little or Nothing About Smok'n It❓ What I Can Tell You Boys "For Fact Certain" is there's a reason TBJ has that JUG for an Avatar it's an Innoculent, Purely for Medical Emergancies! Such as the one with the Dropped Rib! You Can Say, You Heard It Hear First! I wouldn't be surprised, that after a Long Day of Judging TBJ Polices the Site Picking
        Up and Tasting the Dropped Bones by the People and Stray Dogs❓ 👍🙈🙉🙊👍. 🤗😇🤗
        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here