Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KCBS Judges Certification Update Program (JCUP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KCBS Judges Certification Update Program (JCUP)

Kansas City Barbeque Society has an multi-module online learning program for all CBJs (Certified BBQ Judges).

KCBS CBJ is required and login required: https://mms.kcbs.us/members/learn/co...egory_id=10677

Thanks for posting. It takes an invite to begin the modules, which I just obtained. I think this is a very good idea by KCBS since the rules have changed a bit and judges do have a tendency to impose their own likes and preferences, thus minimizing good judging.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I remain conflicted internally with their judging system. How do I judge w/o inferring my own preferences and past experiences and comparisons? That is how we are built. It is method acting, to me, to do this properly.

As you know, there are some easy judging criteria to follow, ‘to salty’, ‘to much sauce’, ‘bland’, etc. Some judges have a very discerning palate where they can taste floral or herbaceous notes easily (I can’t). And KCBS tries to give as much direction as they can to provide even scoring. But ultimately it comes down to the judges and they are often prejudice or just plain stubborn. They feel it is not as good as their own or as good as where they come from. When I hear this from judges I just shake my head. Interestingly, I find that KCBS judging is very similar to a trial jury. A jury is given ‘jury instructions’, but jurists quite often toss them out the window to impart their own sense of justice, even when the trial instructions are re-read to them.

I live in LA and am going to judge at a KCBS event in Lubbock, Tx in April. It will be interesting to see what the Que and judging are like compared to all the events I’ve done in California.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here