Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does cooking competively make you a better cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does cooking competively make you a better cook?

I think so.

It's made me a more careful cook with food handling procedures. I am ServSafe certified.

It's helped with timing, making sure every dish gets done in a timely fashion.

What do you think?

Seems like it would definitely sharpen your pencil in that respect. I wonder if NASCAR drivers are better drivers on I75 becasue of their skills on the track?

I've read many comp cooks do not cook in their competition fashion at home, do you find this to be the case with you? Do you cook a full meal with your one-bite-wow recipes, or do you stick to more traditional ways at home? If not, can you explain why- is it just not a necessary effort, or are the recipe flavor profiles not suited to a full meal? Just curious.

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I cook what I like. But, I've pretty much burnt all my main eaters out on BBQ! I can sneak in a pulled pork sammie, ribs (but only baby back) or brisket shepherd pie in occasionally but most of the time their noses turn up at it.

I can see it helping. I can also see having to cook brisket for 300 getting your rear end in gear. Sure got mine.

Working for the Food Safety and Inspection Service I can't slack on food safety, for some reason.

I'm trying to get my Food Manager certification with the extension service, however, work is getting in the way and they only know months when they are giving the 2 classes, not actual days or even weeks. No help for me there.

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Cooking (and pulling) 30 butts taught me the anatomy of the pork butt muscles for sure! I'm a ServSafe certified cook and proud of it.

I was Safe Serv certified when I was in the restaurant business. Was actually certified to teach the class.
    Am curious how many pit members have any formal education in cooking or hospitality related fields. I have a degree (Associates) in Restaurant, Hotel, and Institutional Management from Purdue (ONLY because The Ohio State University didn't offer that degree)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here