Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagyu Brisket from SRF at Contest - No practice cook...I'm diving in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagyu Brisket from SRF at Contest - No practice cook...I'm diving in!

I'm entering our 4th contest this weekend, and IBCA event, Cookin on the Cane, here in Louisiana.

I've been cooking briskets on my stick-burner about 2x a month, Choice from the grocery store. Best one so far was wet-aged about 4 weeks, and it was really good.

Well, wanting to make the most of this weekend, I looked for a Prime Brisket and talked to the grocery store butcher counter, and didn't get very far in ordering one at the place I frequent the most, and time was running short...so I ordered a pair of Aged 28 days Wagyu Gold from Snake River Farms!

I know, I'm insane.

I'm cooking one for the contest, along with a 3-4 weeks aged CAB Choice. Then we'll cook one for us next weekend, along with a Choice one, so we can really taste the difference with our peeps.

Any advice for my first Wagyu is certainly welcome!

I'll post pic's.

Did a Wagyu at a contest here in Florida last year. Was my first Wagyu and it was from SRF as well. The end result was amazing and we got a 2nd place in the Backyard division. We were worried it might cook quicker as some had said that might be the case but that didn't turn out to be the case. If you are satisfied with the results you get from your chpice cut, just do the same thing. I wouldn't go changing anything radically. Let the meat do the talking.

We also did a choice brisket that day and the difference was pretty easy to see and taste. You will be pleased with the SRF product.

Good luck

Comment

I got one ordered for our 4th of July cookout. Can't wait to try that bad boy out.

Comment

Ready to hear the results, I have gotten some low quality tasting pretty good, I wonder how big a step up wagyu is.

Comment

Well, when you are a budding AmazingRibber BBQ guy, of course you go to BBQ Competitions. And since I don't have a cool trailer yet, you improvise, which looks like this:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2342-180 degrees.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	89275

We traveled about 3 hours to the Cookin on the Cane IBCA competition in Natchitoches, Louisiana. We arrived a little after the cooks meeting, but got settled in and started prepping. We did all 4 meats, and the Boston Butts we are injecting below were for the People's Choice category. Sam and Colin made the trip and we had a great time.

Name:	IMG_2353.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	89270

As I said earlier, I went nuts and got a pair of SRF Gold, 28 days aged briskets. Oh Yeah! I'm cooking one at the competition, and another the weekend when I get back home.

Name:	IMG_2346-180 degrees.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	89272

I also cooked an 21 days aged Choice, and I cut the brisket up some to give me some more slices to choose from. IBCA does only 7 slices in the box, and they have to fit in the box as cooked. So I notched out the flat to have more slice area. We'll see if it helps.

Name:	IMG_2349.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	89273

I was not sure how much shorter the Waygu would cook, which added some complexity to my night. I put it on about 3:30 am, and got three different 45 minute naps in the night between tending the fire on my stick burner. This is a great sunrise shot over the ribs going on the WSM!

Name:	IMG_2360.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	89271

The Pork went out first. These were not done long enough, in my opinion. I split them apart. The half with the money muscle was really tender, and probably cooked enough. The bone side was not fully tender yet. They were good nonetheless.

Name:	IMG_2367.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	89276

Chicken was up next. These have a combo of Simon & Garfunkel with some Big Poppa Smokers Desert Gold. The sauce was a combo of Big Bob Gibson and Granny's. I cooked @Meathead's KC Style sauce, but made a mistake, adding too much chili powder (I put the regular amount of chili powder, then added Chipolte and a touch of cayenne, and was short a half a cup of ketchup. the result was it was tangy and the onion and garlic I cut and put in were overpowering. I will be more careful next time!) Our chicken was 13th of the 37 teams in the contest.

Name:	IMG_2368.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	89278

Next were RIBS! Problem with competition for me is that I never sauce at home. Saucing is mandatory at contests. I flip ribs upside down to cut, but when you try that when they are wet with set sauce, they don't flip back over well at all. So I attempted to cut these from the top, and I made a bunch of them ugly. A couple of the racks were quite dry, which is confusing for me, since I don't recall that issue with the bunches and bunches of ribs I've cooked on the same cookers with the same technique, sans sauce and a 15 minute set, at home. Oh well, they were pretty! We were in the bottom half with this entry.

Name:	IMG_2372.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	89281

Brisket is the hardest to cook, and that's why I've been practicing so much. This cook was not our best. The bark in the center section, where I needed to get the slices from, did not set! They were not getting probe tender, so I wrapped. I reset them on the pit after wrapping and, YES! the bark did set and looked pretty.

Name:	IMG_2366.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	89274

I was also told that at IBCA contests around here, the winning brisket's have a glaze, and some sugar on it is a plus. I didn't bring a brisket sauce or glaze, so we improvised, and that proved to not work well at all. So, here's my brisket, bark looking nice, tenderness was there, but I did not enjoy the taste of my glaze at all.

Name:	IMG_2373.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	89284

The Appearance, however, was GREAT! Are you hungry?

Name:	IMG_2375-90 degrees.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	89280

The Point is where it's at!

Name:	IMG_2387-180 degrees.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	89277

We were in the bottom half in brisket as well.

I think I did not cook the brisket's correctly. The Wagyu and the Choice were hard to tell apart. We actually served the Choice in the box. I'll cook that 2nd Wagyu this weekend. Practice Practice Practice!

#theRibListContinues
          Attached Files

Comment

• Tony Kopacz
            Tony Kopacz commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the great Comp cook report.

• PaulstheRibList
            PaulstheRibList commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks @Tony_Kopacz

All looks good to me, and I'd be *HAPPY* to eat it!

Comment

Thanks for all of the details about your contest cook, PaulstheRibList. I always enjoy reading them, plus I learn a lot. Hopefully one of these days we'll be seeing you on BBQ Pitmasters!

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here