Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best way to reheat keep warm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best way to reheat keep warm?

Wasn't sure if this is the correct channel to post this but here goes.

Im participating in a charity cooking event for rileys children hospital next month, called cooks who care where amateur cooks provide 300 1oz. samples to the public who buy tickets, all proceeds benefit riley hospital.
    I have never done anything like this but its for a good cause and sounded like fun!
    Im going to smoke pulled pork the day before and wondering best way to reheat, im not sure if ill have access to electric or not so im thinking of buy some aluminum buffet pans with the fuel cans underneath.????? would an hour with that setup be enough time to warm the pork enough to serve? its a 4 hour event any worry of food illness with that setup?
    I plan on about 20lbs of pulled pork in 3 maybe 4, 8qt pans.

thanks so much for any input and advice!

Bein's how ya done asked, I'll give ya my advice, an what I generally do... don't reheat it...hold it in foil-wrapped pan(s) at yer oven's lowest setting, overnight.
    It'll be jus fine, an way less bother, Amigo!

(An already cooked, no worries, no stress over temps, etc.)

Comment

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup..@Mr. Bones nailed it again.. shiny side down on the foil..

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      shiny side down on the foil..
      Yup... Th Man's right, as per usual...

What do you have now, what are you going to have to borrow or buy? The thin aluminum pans with Sterno under do not hold food hot very long, you need some pretty heavy banquet pans. Also you will need to ukeep the pork hot in your cooler so hot water bags with boiling water in them and covered with towels. Use small bags to replenish the serving dish. Check each bag with an instant read thermometer coming out of the cooler and once they are lower than 150 stop serving. My friend the caterer says yes 140 is the low for the safe zone but he would rather be safe than sorry. People can react differently to a bug.

Good luck with your event

I forgot keep it warm in the oven like Mr. Bones recommends overnight.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 23, 2019, 10:15 AM.

Comment

I would cook the pork the weekend before, shred it, and freeze it in 1 gallon zip lock bags. You are probably going to need about four, 8-9lb butts. Press the bags flat, so that its around 1.5." Freeze. Take to your event semi-frozen in an ice chest, and put the shredded pork in a 2 large dutch ovens, stock pots, or the pots you boil spaghetti in. Fill the pot half full of meat. Add apple juice (or water and juice) to make 1.5" in the bottom of the pot, add some additional rub for seasoning, and cover. Put the pot on a coleman stove, or a butane stove to bring the apple juice to a boil and using tongs stir the meat every so often so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. Using an instant read thermometer, bring the temp of the meat up to 160 deg. Add some bbq sauce to the meat until you like the consistency.
      I generally use Sweet Baby Ray's Original. Cheap, and everyone likes it. T

urn the heat down at this point, and you may have to turn the stove off, and periodically turn it on, because its hard to get gas stoves to simmer. Serve from pot #1, while pot #2 is heating up.
      Last edited by DianeMee; September 30, 2019, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here