Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Chicken aka from #1 to #48 without even trying!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tally
    replied
    Look up Meatheads post on bad rookie certified judges. If those drums taste half as good as they look...

Leave a comment:

• FLBuckeye
    commented on 's reply
    Awesome! I will try that soon. I see you use drumsticks; I really like that idea presentation wise. You reference a hot cambro. Could the one that will be resting the brisket and butts be used for this? Guessing so

• CandySueQ
    replied
    Brine chicken for 2 to 4 hours -- I like 1 cup water, 1 cup buttermilk, 2 tablespoons salt, 4 tablespoons sugar. Remove from brine, place neatly on a rack to drip. Sprinkle rub (Tsunami Spin from Dizzy Pig) on pieces all around (medium rub not really heavy), place back on rack. Cook on smoker at about 275 for 1 to 1-1/2 hours turning the rack occasionally so the pieces brown consistently. Temp check each piece of chicken. When 185 or higher, dip each piece in hot BBQ sauce (I use a sweet sauce like Baby Ray's), then pan in a full size pan and seal up tightly. Let rest in a hot cambro for 30 minutes. This step is important because it gives you tender, bite-through skin. Put it in the turn in box and let the judges at it!

Leave a comment:

• FLBuckeye
    replied
    Looks great! Care to share the recipe?

Leave a comment:

• CandySueQ
    replied
    There's no doubt my chicken went to the table of death! Next contest, the judges will get more of the same. That's the thing about competition barbeque, subjective taste buds of 6 individuals. Sometimes you're the bug, other times the windshield!

Leave a comment:

• Chillin' n Negrillin'
    replied
    That looks great. Sorry to hear that you didn't do so well. Personally, I could never figure the consistency thing out. We always moaned about that and even talked about 2 teams turning in the same thing (no we never did it) and see if the scores were consistent. Bottom line, sometimes you get a bad table or simply get your butt kicked.

Leave a comment:

• CandySueQ
    started a topic My Chicken aka from #1 to #48 without even trying!

My Chicken aka from #1 to #48 without even trying!

Drove a long, long way last weekend to cook in one of my favorite contests, the Dillard Bluegrass-BBQ Festival in Dillard, GA. A decade ago, I got my first call in the top 5 of a category!

The two contests prior, I'd been on a chicken run with a 2nd then a 1st place finish. This weekend, my chicken was 48 out of 56.

Looks pretty -- not changing a thing at my next event! This photo is sideways, presentation would be with the legs horizontal not vertical.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here