Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rookie chef in hot wing competition needs advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rookie chef in hot wing competition needs advice...

I finally registered into a cooking competition. Never done this before. It’s a wing cook off for a local football spring game in Chattanooga, TN. My wings are amazing, but I’ve never done the competition thing before. I’m using a pellet smoker and gas burner (for the meat and the sauce). Is there any tips you guys can give me to help me out on my first competitive cook?

If you drink enough adult beverages, you won't care if you win or lose...

Comment

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      drink heavily and forget!

If it is a hot wing competition then....

Don't touch your eyes!

Comment

Put them on the pit really cold and smoke at 350f before saucing.

Comment

Sauce ends up soaking up a lot of smoke, perhaps to your detriment. My recommendation is sauce at the very end, rightas you're serving, unless you're going for a barbecue chicken style wing.

Comment

I should clarify, I’m not technically a "rookie chef". I have a great wing recipe, and I believe it will hold its own. I’m more nervous about the competition. I’ve never competed before. Never taken my equipment away from home to cook. Looking for advice pertaining to logistics and functionality. I don’t want to get there and then realize I should have brought something, or done something, that I completely over looked. Any thoughts??

Comment

• Johnny Big Time
            Johnny Big Time commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm with RonB on this...drink till you don't give a sh#t!! I've competed in tractor trailer driving competitions, both local and national. Want to guarantee yourself a 3rd place? worry about never competing before or worry about your competition. I stopped caring after the first comp, and that was my last 3rd place finish. Never got a first, but the rest were all second. Now I couldn't drink at these comps, but a bbq comp...I'd have a drink in each hand.

• Jeff_Carley
            Jeff_Carley commented
            Editing a comment
            I have always been told to pack all of your equipment as if you are on location. everything. I place mine in my garage on my work bench. Then perform your cook. Have the same time restraints, turn in process, etc. take notes and document your struggles. If you do this you will be able to see where you forgot something important. As well as seeing where your potential hick ups will be. everything changes when you place the restrictions on yourself. Good luck brother. And pack a good beer...

• Jeff_Carley
            Jeff_Carley commented
            Editing a comment
            ran out of space. another thing is to premake as much of your recipe as possible. Sauces/rubs/etc. that has really helped me with the stress and that always helps me put out a better product.

Originally posted by Blackshirt BBQ View Post
          Any thoughts??
          Yep: CandySueQ

Comment

If you have some time, pull all your stuff together and do a practice run in your driveway! If you need some tool that wasn't on your list, go get it and add it to your list. If you don't use something scratch it off. Chlorox wipes are an essential for me as are disposable cutting boards. If you use kitchen shears, make sure you have a knife too. Mix as much up before the event so you don't have to do a bunch of kitchen-type prep work. You've got a good recipe, you know how to execute and that's the hardest part.

Have fun!

Comment

• Blackshirt BBQ
              Blackshirt BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Good stuff. I was planning to do another trial run this week. Thank you!

A while back Jhirshon put together a big list of stuff he takes for a competition cook: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...r-competitions

Might not need all of those for wings but it would be a good list to look over and will probably spur some ideas of your own and should help with some of the logistics.

Comment

• Blackshirt BBQ
              Blackshirt BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome! I’ll check that out for sure. Thanks.

I can't really help on the prep, but I am in Chatt. Let me know where the comp is, and maybe I can become a judge, and, well, I won't type the rest. Plausible deniability.

Comment

It’s at UTC Fan Fest this Saturday. At the Tennessee Pavilion. I’ll likely be the only one in Cornhusker gear. Haha.

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                We may go up to Gatlinburg this weekend, but if not, I'll make sure and stop by. AR moral support if nothing else.

• Blackshirt BBQ
                Blackshirt BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Great! I look forward to meeting you!

• Sweaty Paul
                Sweaty Paul commented
                Editing a comment
                Gbr!

Was watching something the other day and the people on the show brush their wings instead of spinning/tossing in sauce to preserve the crispness. It was Asian sticky wings, but I would assume it work work the same on grilled wings. Made too much sense to my beer drinking mind... Not sure why everywhere doesn't do it this way.

Comment

• Blackshirt BBQ
                Blackshirt BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                I brush mine on too. No point in soaking them, in my opinion. But you’re right, they’re crispier that way. Thanks!

Not much to add for cooking but I’m sure looking forward to Coach Frosts second season. GBR!

Comment

Ok. Update. I did not win. Nor did I place. I don’t know how I did out of the 20 competitors, but I’m proud of my wings. They were amazing. I had many, many, compliments from other competitors in the competition. I think my presentation was lacking. I arranged the wings nicely, and picked out the most consistently cooked group I could. But my container was kind of mucked up with sauce. Either way, it was a success for me. Not discouraged, enlightened. I leaned a lot, and I can’t wait for the next one. Thanks for all of your help guys!! Click image for larger version

Name:	092F3C26-54DC-492C-BE69-85313EF46797.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	658183Click image for larger version

Name:	4A867391-44A3-4645-9328-B1D097E668F4.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	658184Click image for larger version

Name:	10FC2EA6-B23C-4A9C-B8EA-7A59D38EC4E1.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	658185Click image for larger version

Name:	1417B4D9-CFA3-492E-B2F8-A8C9A29F6515.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	658186Click image for larger version

Name:	B8EC57FE-B564-428A-831C-AB635F1A69F4.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	658187Click image for larger version

Name:	8B2CDA2E-A2A5-4710-A323-2A98FABD58C4.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	658188Click image for larger version

Name:	70DDB457-C963-44C8-BC2E-286EF222CEF4.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	658189Click image for larger version

Name:	142DF822-01F4-4A05-AFED-108A1DBF2188.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	658190Click image for larger version

Name:	72EDAA2A-9DEB-4745-9841-B27989CEE3F7.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	658191

Comment

I hate that I couldn't make it down. Glad you had a good time; keep up the good work!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here