Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis Dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memphis Dust

Has anyone ever used and had success in a BBQ competition using Memphis dust? It’s a pretty bold rub, I would think using this on top of a of a pre rub would do well. It also makes a very colorful rib after the wrap.

also when making homemade rubs, do you like to use fresh spices from a Pencys type store, or not so fresh spices such as a McCormick’s or generic spices you would find at your grocery store?

The 'rub' on bottled spices is expiry. You don't know how old the spice is (usually). That said, I use three kinds.

1. I have everything from Spice Island. Sometimes I chop it again, sometimes a quick heat-up in a skillet for seconds - both to bring out flavors. I guess I use Spice Island because it looks cool all lined up in the kitchen.

2. McCormick and Weber prepared rubs. I don't really use these on Pork or Beef to Q or Grill. Spices like Garlic-Sriracha, Cajun, Blackened, Beer Can Chicken, Tandoori, the 'cool' ones.

3. Fresh - garlic, rosemary, basil, oregano, dill, thyme, sage, cilantro, Italian parsley, types of onions & shallots, diced turnip (try it!). Soups, hot vegetables, beans, rice, gumbo, chili, etc. Oh yeah - and ~ 6 types of peps to make hot sauce and American Chili Spice. Be careful - that latter tried to kill me last week.

I am into dry brining everything for a couple hours to a couple days. After that, I prep meats with fresh fruits (my secret - for instance scrubbing STL baby backs with lime wedges before brushing on yellow mustard). Then I use mixes of Spice Islands. Maybe fresh rosemary, but that's the only one I use that's fresh for Q, and I add it late so it doesn't 'dry-up'.

I 'large batch' buy three things - garlic powder and jars of roasted diced garlic in olive oil, black and mixed colors of peppercorns, and coarse kosher salt and pink Himalayan salt.
    Last edited by JGo37; October 7, 2018, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Before getting into a few comps I had tested side by side, Meatheads Memphis Dust, Oakridge Dominator sweet rib rub, and Oakridge secret weapon on their own and then each of the Oakridge rubs mixed 50/50 with MMD. Had the whole family do a taste test and Dominator mixed with MMD won hands down. I have been pulling 3rd places with MMD mixed 50/50 with Oakridge BBq Dominator sweet rib rub and like that mix a lot.

Comment

• jecucolo
        jecucolo commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you glaze your ribs?

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        jecucolo Yes I glaze with a Bourbon and Coke Bbq sauce mixed with Blues Hog original.

I have used Meatheads’s Memphis Dust for ribs and some chicken (I have a different run for pulled pork) in little backyard contests with great results. I used Blues Hog bbq sauce(s) with it.

I mostly just by McCormicks or the organic spices at Wal-Mart although I keep saying o want to order some "high quality" ones. Maybe if I ever compete for big money I will.

Comment

i prefer spice island andbor frontier, but use what i have at hand until i can order more. I try to use fresh with chili and chili powders.

Comment

Penny's spices make a difference, especially their paprika and black peppercorns. If we don't have Penzy's on hand we use Spice Islands. I have never competed but we love a modified version of MMD. Reduced rosemary and no cayenne.

Comment

I recently used Oakridge Black Ops and the Santa Maria on brisket, and both were excellent. They make some excellent rubs!

Comment

Spiceology. Trusted by chefs, and everything I've used from them has been really fresh (I toast & grind my own as much as possible)

Comment

Just did a small boneless eye of ribeye roast. Used Oakridge BBQ's new Spogos and over that with a paste of Mrs. O'Leary's. Outstanding flavor. Pics next time I do one.

Comment

I'm loving the Oakridge BBQ SPOGOS rub on brisket and chuck roasts. Dynamite flavor. High in salt content, though, so it makes a great dry brine. Never thought to do a Mrs. O'Learys with it for a roast. Sounds pretty darn good, wrgilb . Did you smoke it in your BGE?

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; January 7, 2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• wrgilb
                    wrgilb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes @ about 275 on a raised grid, then seared down low on flat side of the grill grates. I used the same set up that I showed a picture of on my ribeye cap cook.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here