Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

amature BBQ competition - first time competing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

packerfannate I am doing the same one... I am super new at BBQ and have never even been to a competition. But I thought "hey, may as well." Maybe we can talk about how the Saints will be the NFC champs
    Last edited by Hayduke; April 20, 2018, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• packerfannate
      packerfannate commented
      Editing a comment
      My thought process was pretty much the same. Never done it, why not?

Considering the following turn in times:

--1:00 PM Chicken (BACKYARD ONLY)
    --1:30 PM Ribs (BACKYARD ONLY)
    -- 2:00 PM Steak / Ribeye (OPEN TO ANYONE - JUST ADDED)

What time should I start each meat cooking and which method? I am planning on using spare ribs trimmed St. Louis style and I have used the 3-2-1 method quite a bit.

oh, and smoking on a Yoder YS640

Comment

Not sure what method you are using to cook your yard bird. I'm doing KCBS this weekend, I normally start chicken 3.5 hours before turn in time, 7 hours on ribs, It takes about 20 min to cook a steak. @ 400 on a pellet grill.
      I' m useing a method on the chicken, where I cook in margarine and BBQ sauce, in a aluminum pan, you can get about 8-9 in the small ones, takes about 2.5 hours to get to 170, at 225, then sear skin for about 10/15 minutes, on a charcoal grill, then set glaze, for 10/15 min, normally I cook 24 thighs, to get my best pick 6. Trimming all the fat off, and try to make them the same size.
      Chicken and ribs do not need to rest as long as big meats, we do 3 slabs of ribs, again to pick the best of the 3 racks, use the ones in the middle. sometimes we use ribs from different racks, you may only have room for 2 racks of ribs on your Yoder to have room for the chicken.
      We try and get meats ready a half hour before turn in, for boxing and how far do you have to walk.
      Take your time putting finished BBQ in the turn in box, clean and wipe off any smears of BBQ sauce from the turn in box.
      hope i did not confuse you.
      Take pictures. And good luck packer! Here are more ideas.
      https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...chicken-recipe
      https://amazingribs.com/bbq-and-grilling-competitions/competition-ribs-recipe-and-award-winning-tricks
      Last edited by randy56; April 24, 2018, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here