Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice please - first competition in New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice please - first competition in New Zealand

Hey Pitmaster Club...

For the first time in New Zealand, we have a BBQ competition. I have only ever cooked for friends and family, yet I'm in a team who are competing at "MeatStock".

The rules & what we need to cook can be found here: http://www.meatstock.com.au/wordpres.../NZbbqwars.pdf

Any advice you can give would be appreciated. We have yet to meet as a team, but I'm currently thinking:
    1. Chicken - is the Meathead wings recipe too simple? If so, I'm thinking thigh, with an attempt to keep the skin crispy.
    2. Pork Ribs - Last meal ribs, St Lous cut.
    3. Lamb - whole leg, recipe TBC
    4. Pork - pulled pork, following the recipe here (including sauce)
    5. Beef - brisket, Texas Style.

We will have 1-2 Webers and at least one off-set smoker. I'm thinking at least 3 cooking surfaces at different temperatures and 1-2 Faux Cambro's to keep things warm.

I am going to make sure we have a heap of digital meat thermometers, I'll buy a "smoke 'n' sear" or 2 (already have a smokenator, but I'll upgrade) - and will see if I'm allowed a pellet smoker as well. We can make the rubs & sauce in advance - and I'll probably get the meat professionally prepared as per instructions on AR.

Anything I'm missing from this meager description? Any thoughts on "must do"'s for competitions?

Thanks in advance!

David
    Last edited by SuaveBugger; September 9, 2016, 05:15 AM.

SuaveBugger, Howdy Down There From Up Here! Our Son spent 2-3 Mo's in Palmerston North this summer! I think there may be a bounty on him? He works for a company, Dakota Air Parts, buying and selling helicopters and parts! He bought a Wing of NZ Helicopters (10 & Parts) and had them crated and on a ship before the Public became aware! Apparently upset Citizens were storming Parliament, Shawn was on a Plane via China to Dubai? Back to
    BBQ Cook Offs! I have only been in one! A small ND town (50 people) Charity Rib Cook Off, 33 Smokers showed up, I didn't Win Place or Show! Placed 18th overall! My Wife and I had more fun than should be Legal, I think I will place better next year! You have the advantage of this being the first for all Entrants, start a list of all things you want or need to take, I think you can find suggested lists by searching the Amaxing Ribs HomePage also the Pit Club!
    I would also suggest you direct a PM to CandySueQ, She is a Moderator of the Pit Club and Enters BBQ Contests accross the Southern USA!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND USA, Dan
    Last edited by Danjohnston949; September 12, 2016, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here