Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sweet N Sticky in Dickey Rib Cook Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet N Sticky in Dickey Rib Cook Off

I don't know if this is where I'm supposed to post this but here it is. (it took me over an hour to log back in on this site because I'm NOT tech savvy so please forgive me if I'm in the wrong spot)
    My home town is hosting it's 7th annual rib cook off on July 9, 2016. The Dickey Bar hosts this event and takes place on that property. There will be 1st through 3rd places. One set will be determined by 5 judges and the other 1st through 3rd places will be determined by the people; aptly named Peoples Choice Award. There is NOT a pay out for placing- ALL PROCEEDS GO TO THE HOSPICE OF THE RED RIVER VALLEY-but there is a $30.00 entry fee (that includes the ribs and a T-shirt). It started with 6-10 entrants and has grown to 24. We're expecting even more participants this year as it's for such a wonderful cause and a LOT of fun! They also provide electricity for those of us with pellet grills requiring it but we (my husband and I) are bringing our generator this year just in case they run out of space. They were scrambling a little last year for that reason but like any small town with a big event it was handled beautifully. After the cook off there will be a band, Church of Cash, starting at 9:00 pm in the parking lot. Free will donations are asked of the public when coming to taste the yumminess that's been grilling all day and the way I understand it, it's a free will donation to attend the dance and wonderful music from the talented gentlemen.

I thought some of you may be intrigued because it's a tiny town and it's always fun to see the younger people getting involved and doing such a wonderful job organizing such an event. I grew up in that tiny town and it will always be home. The T-Shirts are a tribute to our loved ones that we've lost to cancer or locals that have passed and have been cared for by our local Hospice Organization. My Daddy's name is on the back of that T-shirt so that's why this event is so meaningful to me. This is our way of saying to those dedicated to caring for our loved ones near their end here on earth, "Thank You."

I don't know how to upload the link for registration information but I think if you have a facebook account I'm pretty sure if you type in Sweet N' Stickey in Dickey it should come up. (Yes, even with the misspelling of 'Sticky' but they thought it'd match the town of Dickey better... )

Thank you to those of you that read this windy post. Stay safe, warm, and happy!

Good grillin' to you all.

NoDak

NoDak, Bobbi Jo, it's Great for You to Surface Again! I was beginning to think you were one of those Prairie Dogs that crawled in a Hole for Winter and hadn't come out of Hybernation Yet? It's absolutely " GREAT " to see you Advertising Your and The Dickey Bars Efforts on behalf of Hospice of The Red River Valley! They have truly been a God Send to many Families in this entire region! I cannot commit as of yet to being able to be a contestant but if You Need Anything, rounded up, picked up or facilitated here in Fargo just let me Know!
    Greet Your Husband! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

HELLO, Dan!! I can't thank you enough for your kind and generous offer of assistance if I need it! (I may take you up on that...) I've been off the radar because I started a seasonal job in the local greenhouse to help pay for my summer 'grilling addiction'. (and the smell of soil and plants in North Dakota in Feb. is heavenly) I sincerely hope you get the opportunity to compete or even just come down, join in on the tasting, and see our little town of Dickey. Thank you, again, for being so kind. I truly appreciate it. Give your wife our best and I'm glad to be in touch again.
      Beer and Bread
      From Berlin ND, Bobbi Jo

Comment

Oh, Dan, I forgot to tell you that if you find that you have the time and can enter, registration doesn't close until July 1. Ribs and T-shirts will be ready to be picked up on Friday, July 8 but will still be available Saturday. I'm going to make a couple calls today and see if someone can't help me put the link to that event on here. (I hope that's not frowned upon..) Otherwise, we can stay in touch via 'old school' telephone landlines when the date gets closer. I also forgot that you can choose between a T-shirt or a tank top. I forgot to put that in my original post. HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
        Bobbi Jo

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Try David Parrish, Huskee, possibly Jon Solberg I am sure one or the other would help you! Respectively their
          Names are David Parrish, Pit Boss and Aaron (Old What's His Name), Moderator and Jon Solberg, Michigander
          and my go to guy when I get stuck! Jon bailed my Fanny Out earlier Today! Dan

The Facebook link. Registration in PDF is on this page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3084...52404/?fref=ts

The Hospice page:

http://www.hrrv.org/news/sixth-annua...efits-hospice/
        ​

Sorry but I cant comment on a OP to get it closer.

​Danjohnston949 NoDak
        Last edited by Jon Solberg; April 12, 2016, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Jon Solberg, Jon, You're The Man! I don't care what Your Girl Friend Says, Jon you are THE MAN! Dan

OH, MY GOODNESS!! I can't believe you guys were able to do this so quickly and basically act like you were waiting for paint to dry!! THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH for helping me promote our little event. There are no words!!! Ughh, YOU'RE THE BEST! Thank you, Dan, for being so involved and thank you Jon, for the help. Again, a thank you seems inadequate. Thank you. I told our event chief about how this website reaches more than one can count and can't wait to show this to her. Warm smiles to you all!
        NoDak
        Bobbi Jo

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          No thanks needed BUT we do need to see some pics of the event as well as your other cooks and such Miss Bobbi Jo : )
          Last edited by Jon Solberg; April 13, 2016, 06:21 AM.

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. We LOVE pics!

NoDak, Bobbi Jo, I figured I would just check to see how the "Sweet N Sticky In Dickey Rib Cook Off" organizers were doing? Get your Listing Back in the Que at the same time!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

HELLO Danjohnston949 ! I just got registered a couple weeks ago. It was a bit more $ for me because I ordered a t-shirt for my Clark too. Last I talked to the event coordinator, things appear to be progressing seamlessly. The one change this year doesn't really affect the contestants. They voted on putting a poem on the back of the shirts this year because unfortunately there are too many lost loved ones names now that would need to be printed. However, we have been given the option to personalize the loved one we're cooking for that day at an additional $5 per shirt. I thought this was a brilliant solution. Anyway, thank you for inquiring and if anything changes with the times, rib and shirt pick-up, or something that would directly affect the participants, I'll definitely keep you posted. Thank you, again, for your genuine interest in this event. I've been playing around with three different sauces this past winter so my poor neighbors will soon be subjected to taste tests now that we've got the crops in. Take care and thanks for staying in touch! Warm wishes to you and your bride.
          Beer and bread, my friend.
          Bobbi Jo

Comment

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            NoDak, Bobbi Jo, Good to here from You We'll try to Shake Up a few more Competitors for The Great Sweat N Sticky in Sweet in Dickey Rib Cook Off! July 9 2016 hosted by Nodak and the Dickey Bar for the benefit of Hospice
            of the Red River Valley!
            Eat Well and Prosper, From Fargo ND, Dan

NoDak, I figured I better check in as the Sweet and Sticky Rib Cook Off July 9 2016 is Less than 1 Month Away! I figured I better contact you and Make Sure I am up to Speed! Tell, Clark the Boss, I look forward to Meeting Him as Long as The Beer is Cold! With two exceptions no Budw--- Crapor Lt Beer of Any Kind, unless it's the only "Cold Beer" available! 😇Beggars Can't be Choosers!😇 Hospice of the Red River Valley is Such a Great Org!
          My Thanks to You and the Dickey Bar for Hosting the Event! RIBBERS FAR AND WIDE YOU ALL COME NOW HERE!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

My first practice round. It wasn't very good.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by NoDak; June 22, 2016, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I love this site but I have NO idea how to navigate here. It's a far cry from anywhere else I've ever been on the internet. Probably because I'm limited to FB. Anyway, I'm super excited that my hometown cook off for ribs is around the corner for the benefit of the Hospice of the Red Red River Valley and feel it necessary to purge my mistakes here, because I don't feel judged. My first practice run, I didn't, still don't, have a thermometer. Neither for the cooker nor the meat. I know, rookie, but dang, my sauce is good. However, I've three 'dang good sauces' but they're not going to get me the bragging rights while I wear my Daddy's name on my shirt three weeks from now. In other words, a win. Friends, I'm desperate. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've had decent success with the the 3-2-1 method but am pretty convinced the grill is entirely too hot but am rather chicken to dial it all the way down to 200-190. My ribs have consistently been 3.6 lb-3.7 lb and I've learned to remove the silver skin. (quite expertly I may add as an ex-OR nurse) I refuse to change the dry rub recipe I currently use as that too, is yummy. It's me or my grill or more so both. Tips? I am in dire need of even being chewed out at this point. I want Daddy to be proud{in heaven} even though he's probably throwing his putter in another pine tree because he missed par... ) In all seriousness, if you wouldn't mind sharing a tip? Thanks.
              Last edited by NoDak; June 22, 2016, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                NoDak, Bobbi Jo, I got your PM! I will give you a call this AM! Rule # 1: "NEVER LET THEM SEE YOU SWEAT"!
                From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

I don't like telling people to buy something to fix a problem, but in this case, it's a must. Go to K-Mart or Walmart and buy a Taylor digital oven thermometer for $19.99.

Then set your grill up for two zone cooking, let the temp hit anywhere from 225-260 on the side away from the heat, and do your ribs for 5-6 hours. You don't need to do the 3-2-1 method (but you can if you want to), just trust the physics and the chemistry. They are done when they are dark, and shiny, and a little wet looking, and when you pick them up in the middle with a pair of tongs they bend and sort of split on top.

Ribs are a puzzlement when you first attempt them, and simple as a cheap wristwatch when you figure them out. You're only a cook or two away from getting it.

Comment

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                You can also get that item in many supermarkets, Dan! And, 35 miles to Jamestown for the nearest Walmart, you can make a day trip out of it!
                Last edited by Mosca; June 23, 2016, 08:25 AM.

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                Mosca, I already have a "Cheap" Instant Read for Bobbi to use and I can Lend Her Some Other "Not so Cheap"
                Stuff to Try Out! I hope to Go to Stickey in Dickey Rib Cook Off! I don't know if I am willing to risk what little
                Reputation I have left by Cooking! Hospice of the RR is Great! Dan

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                You're a good man, Dan! :-)

ARE YOU SERIOUS, DAN?!! THANK YOU!!! I can get a thermometer but your presence would be SOOO APPRECIATED!!! Be prepared for a bear hug if you find me!!

Comment

Another windy post, friends, so skip if you're not in the mood to read. This site is amazing. Duh, I know, but you've got to hear this. Someone in particular took an interest in my posts and has been extremely helpful even through the brutal ND winter and has hung in there with their interest with my progress with me and my ribs. That alone is phenomenal. This particular member took it a few steps above and beyond. Let me tell you how so. This particular member and I spoke at length over the phone yesterday. I hardly slept but when I woke, I checked my e-mail and sure enough there was the recommended thermometer I seriously need to purchase sent to me sometime last night or this morning. I showed it to my husband and he was VERY on board so we ordered it. My husband got out of the field around 7 pm and went to get the mail and walked in the house with a package. I asked him what he ordered. He asked me the same. Here our fellow member, @Danjohnston# sent me his grill thermometer along with the directions and in his wife's (probably best) tupperwear container. REALLY? My husband was floored over his kindness as was I but I secretly wondered if he told his wife about the tupperwear container. Dan Johnston, there aren't enough words. THANK YOU! I PROMISE, I'll make sure I'll make it right with you. THANK YOU! I'm practicing again tomorrow. And I'll be very careful!
                Nodak
                BobbiJo
                Last edited by NoDak; June 24, 2016, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• CeramicChef
                  CeramicChef commented
                  Editing a comment
                  NoDak - thanks for this post.

Danjohnston949 - thanks for being a great guy.

Both of you just reaffirmed my faith in most of humanity! Kudos to you both!

Now, everybody go cook something.

I'm a terrible person, I didn't thank you for your contribution in hopes that my ribs will continue to improve. THANK YOU!! Mosca. (I don't know how to tag, poke, or make the names go different colors. sorry. told you I wasn't tech savvy... but thank you nonetheless.)
                NoDak

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here