Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to start a Bbq competition???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to start a Bbq competition???

I am looking at starting a BBQ competition in my small town. I probably won't start off having it sanctioned.
    Does anyone have any tips, reference material, how to's, and do's and dont's.

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

CandySueQ

Comment

Question for you. Why not s KCBS event? All the ground work is done.

Comment

Yes, KCBS is fairly turn-key. Trained contest officials and judges, established rules and a solid base of competitors to entice to cook your event. However, there are other sanctioning groups out there. If you're in a location without KCBS certified barbeque judges and aren't somewhere where people will come to judge and cook, it may not be your best choice.

Comment

I can't help but think that nobody actually answered the poor man's question. "Call a KCBS to do it for you" isn't "tips, reference material, how to's, and do's and dont's." It doesn't even define what a KCBS is. Would the guy even want a bunch of out-of-towners blowing in to take all the prizes?

I've actually been wondering about this myself. I'm thinking about organizing a local informal BBQ competition this summer. Of course there is nobody to do it for me, I would just want something where VIP local judges can taste as well as crowd favorite voting. Coming up with my own method seems a duplication of effort.

Comment

You're right, Lost in China! Let me try again. I'd say first step in planning a BBQ Comp is finding a place to have it and figuring out exactly what the competition is about. If it's a fairly simple grilling contest, power isn't needed nor is a great deal of space per team necessary. 2nd thing then (and almost first) is determine the scope of the contest -- chicken, ribs, pork chops, burgers etc. Determine how you want to judge your event.

Kansas City BBQ Society judges on Appearance, Taste and Tenderness, so 3 numbers from 2-9 are used to evaluate an entry. 9 is the highest. Entry scores are entered into a computer and a specialized software program adds weighting to criteria, tabulates scores and generates a score sheet showing the team rankings. Judges do not compare entries. Judging is blind.

International BBQ Cookers Association uses about 10 evaluation criteria, but each judge gives each entry one number with 10 being the highest. The "head judge" looks at the scores on the cards and ranking can be determined without a computer. Judging is blind and judges do not compare.

These are the two judging methods I am most familiar with. Memphis BBQ Network is somewhat similar to KCBS, but entries are compared. You can come up with your own method! Work on a score sheet for your judges to use to write the scores down. I've always thought that a scoring system that we're all familiar with would make it simple. Like 90-99 is the best, 80-89 is a B, etc. This would widen the range of numbers and avoid ties. Plus you don't have to teach judges how to score.

Managing the event -- you'll need to determine your time schedule. When competitors can set up, when to turn in entries, where to judge and the time of awards. Who are your judges?

Hopefully this is a better answer to your question, Bushmens Smokehouse! Maybe if you ask questions, we can be more specific.

Comment

Bushmens Smokehouse , sorry in advance for the long post. First of all it is awesome that you are thinking about doing this. It can take a lot of hard work but be fun and rewarding as well. A lot of this will depend on what you are wanting to accomplish by hosting a competition, why you are wanting to host it (fun, charity, draw attendance to an event, etc...), money outlay by you and the competitors, how formal you want it to be, etc... Here is what I have learned from helping get a few different kinds of unsanctioned competitions off the ground.

1. Why are you wanting to have the competition? Is it a charity event, fundraiser, just for fun, bragging rights, draw attendance to an event, partner up with another event, etc...? Why you are hosting the even can have a big impact on how you proceed. (I have helped get contests going for multiple of these reasons... feel free to be more specific and I can bounce some more ideas for you).

2. Venue - If you haven't picked out a venue yet then you will need to. Some things to consider: accessibility to bathrooms, running water, shelter, electricity, etc... (i have been at events where they brought in port-o-pots and used the giant coffee dispensers to hold warm water to wash your hands). ****Is alcohol allowed for the contest and does the venue allow alcohol to be brought in?****

3. Partnering with another event: I like being able to partner with a local festival, fair, block party, wine tour, craft beer festival, music festival or something of the sorts. It gives you a ready made crowd and it gives the other event some more attendance and another activity/attraction. You can also piggy back on their advertising and share in resources etc... also they can help you get judges.

4. Time - Is this going to be an all night cook with turn ins starting late morning or midday... or is it going to be a day cook with turn in times that evening. (the group of guys I cook with prefer to start early in the morning and cook all day). Schedule turn in times accordingly.

5. Competition Categories: What is everyone going to cook? Pulled Pork, Ribs, Chicken, Brisket, Sausage, etc... (last competition I did was pulled pork, ribs, and chef's choice). Also with ribs make sure everyone is cooking the same kind. You probably don't want someone turning in baby backs and someone else turning in St. Louis. You will need to specify in your rules.

6. Judging - The great thing about sanctioned events is access to certified judges that know something about Q. Ask around with your BBQ buddies and more than likely you will be able to find a current or former certified judge that will probably be willing to help you out with the judging piece. They can talk your other judges through what to look for, scoring, tasting, etc... The bad thing about using people unfamiliar with Q judging is if they like Sweet Baby Rays sauce then that is what they will vote for even if it isn't as tender, well presented, etc... as the others... Also decide how you want things to be turned in (is the box just meat or can they have greens in there to make it look pretty). Maybe there is a taster's choice contest as well.

7. Rules/Policy/Procedures - You are going to have to have rules. I highly recommend checking out KCBS and some of the other sanctioning body's rules. They usually are listed on their website. They are a great bouncing off point and will have things on there you just didn't think about like having a fire extinguisher or something. You can choose to modify if you want. Maybe you will allow gas smokers or maybe you won't... Meat check in, where to buy meat, inspection of meat, etc... ***Don't let your competitors sell their Q unless you and they have all required licensing***

8. Advertising and Promotion - You have to get word out to people to compete and also you want people to show up check things out too. Pass out flyers at other Q events (if the hosting entity allows you), facebook and social media, flyers, public service sections of newspapers and radio stations, etc...

9. Awards and Recognition - What are you going to give the winners? I have received everything from a certificate, engraved spatula, trophy, money.... One place we created a traveling trophy and then there is a stationary trophy at the club house with engraved name plates for each years winner...

10. Funding - I have been in some competitions that were free and some that have a single buy in or a per category buy in. Obviously the more you charge the teams more cost prohibitive it can be. I highly recommend hitting up local businesses (especially ones related to bbq type activities... butchers, outdoor supplies, etc...) for donations, to purchase advertising or sponsorship, etc... I know of one meat locker / butcher that ended up donating meat for the event (granted it was a small competition but still).

11. Compile data - Take as many notes about the competition as possible: weather, turnout, participant contact info, signup sheets for next year, etc... This stuff will be great helping you plan and promote your annual event.

12. Get Help! If you are going to compete then you need someone helping keep things organized and going for you, taking care of turn ins, getting judges in place, announcements, etc... (this is where partnering with another event can help)... You don't want to be trying to do it all... plus someone will always cry shenanigans if you win.

13. Get a core group of people that are willing to compete with you on a consistent basis and create your own little sanctioning body and circuit. Depending on your surrounding communities you could easily get a half dozen or more contests setup by doing little festivals, fairs, and such. If you have taken good notes and have a consistent group of participants you can just about go to any of these other event organizers with a prepared packet and say hey we would like to do this, here is what we have to offer, here is what we need to incorporate this into your event...

Biggest thing is HAVE FUN!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here