Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KCBS National Steak Championships Reference Meathead & AmazingRibs.com In Their Rules!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KCBS National Steak Championships Reference Meathead & AmazingRibs.com In Their Rules!

KCBS's Steak Championships site: https://p22.9de.myftpupload.com/

Their Steak Championships Contest Rules: https://p22.9de.myftpupload.com/contest-rules/

#6 under Cooking Rules, from the rules link above, reads:
    Enhanced grill marks or sear marks are not encouraged and are criteria for deducting points for both presentation and taste. According to Meathead from www.amazingribs.com, "the goal is to get a golden to brown color on as much surface as possible."

Yeah, not a dark brown little stinky bar of burnt stuff on the steak, but a golden brown finish on the whole thing. Thatsa good.

Comment

Enlightenment comes, but slowly.

Comment

That's pretty darn cool More validation!

Comment

That's funny. I've seen videos of people doing practice cooks for SCA steak competitions and they are all about the grill marks.

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            And most of the time they are referred to as "professional grill marks". Ha! We know better.

Nonsense, I say, I am just learning to get grill marks by using grill grates.
          It is time to put grill marks to bed, as per Meathead.

Comment

Time to call the ridges on GrillGrates the "bottom" of the grates.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought most of us already did

So what if you happen to like grill marks? Suicide time??? Guess I'll just toss these out or give them to the dogs.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	chops 05.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1095508

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s beauty right there!

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Bravo!!!! Rule be damned. That is beautiful

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Grill marks are indeed very appetizing.

My best steaks are just a little past golden brown; dark mahogany is more like it. Like this flank steak:

​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	5C9C68AF-EDFA-4F4F-B2FD-AA29FFE75E58.jpeg
Views:	368
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	1095539

Comment

For whatever reason, I don't go for grill marks on steaks,but I do like them on pork chops and chicken. Go figure!

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Same.

If I want grill marks, I lay the meat on grates from the last cook and get instant black marks!

Comment

• IdahoJim
                IdahoJim commented
                Editing a comment
                Eww...

• Bbqmikeg
                Bbqmikeg commented
                Editing a comment
                One hand washes the other.

Due to a real lack of KCBS in my area I started to compete SCA this summer and grill marks even though not required they are what the judges want. I too prefer an even crust with no marks. But when in Rome. This one took 8th. My best placing so far.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	999C5CC1-A291-4664-8943-F463771D7DED.jpeg
Views:	324
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	1096714

Comment

• 58limited
                58limited commented
                Editing a comment
                That is a nice looking steak.

Despite knowing the science, I still like the looks of grill marks although I don't purposely try to get them.

We eat with our eyes and have been conditioned to think that grill marks are good. As a teen in the 80s I worked at Burger King. The meat is flame broiled but only one side gets grill marks. When I was training the manager asked me how the patty should be positioned on the burger and why. I didn't know. He said grill marks up because it tastes better. How does it taste better? When someone lifts the top bun on the burger and sees the grill marks it reinforces that it was flame broiled, their mind automatically thinks it will taste good.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                LOVE me some Burger King. Had no clue there was grill marks.....thought they were getting it broiled all across the surface, Bastards!

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                Editing a comment
                They make for great pictures, just like smoke rings... doesn't mean the foods good, but sure adds a visual element.

I like grill marks, but "rustic" version; none of this perfectly 45 degree angle criss cross... just those that look like an amateur did it (like me)!

Comment

Troutman - I broke in my new GrillGrates today. My old ones, despite being deep cleaned, pressure washed and scrubbed, began to have an odor reminiscent of the mop-up at a structure fire ( CaptainMike ). It is a chemical smell that is not associated with my wood or food. What the heck, I had so many cooks on them I had no hesitation springing for a new set. I broke the rules above and figured you needed some grill mark back-up. HA! Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5182.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.19 MB ID:	1097239 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5183.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.82 MB ID:	1097240 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5184.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.03 MB ID:	1097241 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5188.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.23 MB ID:	1097242
                Last edited by tbob4; September 19, 2021, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Interesting, I caught that same essence on some sausages I grilled last week. Did you ask them about that?

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  CaptainMike - I did not contact them. I figured it was just "that time". It is interesting that you have experienced the same. If it persists, let me know. I think it is worth an inquiry

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice rig, I need me one of those

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here