Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anything But Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything But Ideas

I'm fairly new to competition bbq, but I have gone head first into it this year. My team (My dad and I) have already done 3 overnight competitions, and have gotten a few calls (and only one DAL). Now that we have the big 4 down we are looking to get into some of the anything but categories. I'm far from a chef and more of a redneck that likes to cook big hunks of meat. Anyone have any ideas for anything but dishes? Does everyone get creative with these or just keep it simple?

It varies greatly! I participated in a Bloody Mary contest this past Saturday.

You didn't ask for advice, but it's free. Concentrate on the main 4 and don't play with the ancillaries. It's a distraction. Too often I've experienced the "curse" getting a call in anything butt and none in the main events.

ABs I've done: Orange smoked duck, fried catfish, stuffed chicken breast, steak among others.

The best I've ever tasted was a rolled stuffed pork loin.
    Last edited by CandySueQ; June 15, 2015, 12:58 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Meatmeinstl
      Meatmeinstl commented
      Editing a comment
      I like your advice. My other team member wants to start participating in the ancillaries. I have enough time cooking the big 4 without unintentionally setting anything on fire. Read Myron Mixons book and his recipe for Catfish shrimp alfredo. thought about doing that, but it looks like a lot of work.

Big competition coming up at the end of September with 8 categories. Must enter all 8 to be considered for GC. Last night I tried the catfish shrimp Alfredo... and it was to die for. one of the best fish/seafood dishes I've ever made.

Comment

How'd you do?

Comment

could have gone better took 2nd in chicken, 13th in dessert everything else was middle of the road except for pork which was way down... for whatever reason we haven't been able to figure out the pork category this year. the anything but could have been better, my alfredo sauce was way too thin and by the time i realized it, it was too late.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here