Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Florida Sucks for Barbecue.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florida Sucks for Barbecue.....

......competitions, that is.

After doing just one competition a year locally I decided to do a couple things. One was to start looking for more events to enter that wouldn't require too much travel. The other was to become a CBJ and try to judge as many as I could. Well, after looking at the KCBS event schedule I realized just how poor a showing my home state has. I did the numbers and of the 9 states in the greater southeast (AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN) Florida ranked second to last with only 7 events throughout 2015. Living in the panhandle I have easy access to southern Alabama and Georgia but it would be nice if there was better representation in the state.

I wonder if it because there are so many Northerners in Florida

Comment

Florida has a LOT of competitions. The Florida BBQ organization sanctions a lot of competitions. Here is the calendar.

I competed in a FLBBQA event in March and frankly, I liked the rules better and they don't allow garnish in the turn in boxes (it is all about the meat, as it should be) and the turn in times are an hour apart as opposed to 30 in. in KCBS contests. I plan on entering many more this year.

There is a competition in Tallahassee June 5-6. Link: http://capitalareacommunityactionagency.com/pigfest/

Comment

• Jlock
        Jlock commented
        Editing a comment
        My apologies. I should have clarified by saying that there are not many KCBS sanctioned events in the state.

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        No problem. There are quite a few teams that compete on both circuits. I competed in the Plant City Pig Jam last year and had a blast. Was my first contest. Lots of fun and learned a lot

I stand corrected... thanks FLBuckeye

Comment

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        I am a "Northener" by birth but have lived in Florida for 30+ years. In these parts, that is considered a "semi native"

I recently joined FBA and became a certified judge. I judged the Central Florida BBQ Blowout in Oviedo, FL. It was a mile from my house so it was the most convenient introduction to the world of competition BBQ and judging I could have asked for. Everyone I met was extremely friendly and fun, from the organizer, reps, judges to the teams. I have been hooked/addicted/obsessed from the first minute. Can't wait to learn from the veterans and meet more great folks that are passionate about Q. I'll be judging the Baddest BBQ on the Bone event a week from Saturday. http://oldsaltfishing.org/events/bad...q-on-the-bone/

Comment

One thing, I've got to say that the KCBS events in Florida are among the best that KCBS has!

Pensacola in March is one of my favorites. I pass my BBQ on so I can visit Joe Patti's Seafood on the way home.

Lakeland and Plant City are stellar events.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here