Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quarantine BBQ Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quarantine BBQ Competition

So, my local Home & Garden store (carries tons of Weber, BGE, Traeger) is going to have a Quarantine BBQ Competition. Here’s the rules

1. I get 3 pictures ... before, during, after
    2. I have to include myself in at least one picture
    3. I can write a brief summary of the cook .... they don’t define brief

The 5 best cooks win prizes

This sounds like a load of fun this weekend, so my daughter (She of FireMan Rodeo fame) and I are going to cook together and try to win. I am thinking Last Meal Ribs, but open to suggestions and ideas.

Maybe double up and do 2 or 3 different things. We could also do something on here similar.

P.S. Don't mention you are a member of the AR forum, they may boot you out for unfair advantage
    Last edited by Ahumadora; April 20, 2020, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m not telling them about my secret weapon, the Pit!

Hey Huskee this is a fun idea .... maybe we could pull it off .... virtual BBQ Competition!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't have the brain power right now to organize, but feel free to set it up!

I would imagine most people will be doing pulled pork, beer can chicken and ribs.

id go PPBE or a brisket sandwich.

Do something where you add color, height and textural infrances, and a perceived smell to the pic.

good luck

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Trying to do it with what I have on hand to avoid a store run. I don’t have any brisket right now. I do have a couple chuck roasts, a pack of Costco back ribs, a 12 lb pork belly, a bunch of steak, and a couple pork butts .... I think your point about perceived smell is great .... was thinking I could plate the ribs with a mess of Texas Beans and Cole Slaw for the after pic to make up for the standard ribs fare
      Last edited by ecowper; April 20, 2020, 06:41 PM.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Lamb or beef cheeks

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Pork belly burnt end sammich or Bahn mi. This way you can play with the color and texture. Also find out who the judges are. Maybe they just want andrumstick.😃
      Last edited by HouseHomey; April 20, 2020, 08:42 PM.

Good luck! Let us know how you did.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I figure I will post the exact same thing to the Pit as I post to the competition and let the Pit be the judge :-)

I’m voting fer one of the presentations bein WIBs of the Last Meal variety & then maybe we could have a virtual rodeo!
    BTW, cookin em on the Hasty Bake?
    Last edited by FireMan; April 20, 2020, 06:46 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m going to cook em on the WSM cause my wife bought the WSM for me at this store and I figure that might be an edge

french a bone-in pork loin and circle it up to hold colorful smoked veggies - that's always got deck-side appeal.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, dang, I have a bone in pork loin in the freezer. Costco variety that’s already Frenched .... that might be what I go for!

If I set up a virtual Quarantine BBQ Competition for the Pit, I need like 2 folks besides me to judge .... who else is in as a judge? Once I have a couple judges besides me, I’ll post the rules and timelines and such and we can do our award announcements at the Virtual Meat-up on the 7th.

Maybe Meathead has something he wouldn’t mind giving away as a prize for such a thing?

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      If judges get samples.... well

Well, wow .... we won the April competition ... the Home & Garden store decided to make it monthly now and have a grand prize thing in August!

Here’s their message about the whole thing

Wow! We are pretty hungry over here looking at all of those Quarantine Barbecue Cook Off pictures!

You guys did so awesome, we have decided to extend our Cook Off to not only have it April, but again this May, June, and July! In August, we'll invite all you champs back to compete for the title of the Big Barbecue Champion!

You can still participate in our Cook Off but please keep in mind if you've already received a prize the first time around, we can't give you a second prize - we must save these for the other grill masters!

So what are you waiting for? Let the grilling continue!
    The plated pic of ribs, coleslaw, and beans is our entry

Click image for larger version  Name:	33574914-4ABF-4753-B452-E926AD163AD6.jpeg Views:	17 Size:	427.8 KB ID:	842201
    Last edited by ecowper; May 6, 2020, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Alright!! Great job!

Comment

You got this!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here