Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KCBS in trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KCBS in trouble

NPR has a fascinating story about the problems at KCBS
    A board member under fire for allegedly swindling an Indian tribe in Oklahoma. The organization’s $3 million Kansas City headquarters, bought and…

Sad story (But somewhat typical in business). Sounds like a job for Super Meathead?

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      I am focused on AmazingRibs.com and the Pitmaster Club.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, focus & what ever you do Meathead , don’t have a board of directors that could run GM & don’t take on someone with ties to gaming, just sayin. 🕶

Sad to hear.

I think with a lot of organizations and some businesses that in the early days it is like a family and everyone is chipping in to do everything because they have to be thrifty because the resources aren’t there yet.. then inevitably the organization gets big and new folks start coming in... the organization out grows the original folks’ skill sets and abilities... and because there is now some money they start hiring stuff out and that thriftiness disappears and folks don’t have that sense of ownership like they did before. Inevitably the original concept has morphed into something else and it starts to fail.

Comment

I am getting blowback on the NPR story saying that the authors heard only one side of the story. Regardless, it still means there is discord and disagreement very deep. I hope the get it worked out.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Numbers don't lie, and if the numbers in the article are true they are in trouble and seem to lack the leadership to pull through. For what it's worth, I know a guy that specializes in that sort of thing and he is VERY good if everyone can play nicely and follow the plan.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        You shouldn't be getting blowback for posting an article that is later in the cycle. I appreciate you putting it here. I have never competed in BBQ but read a lot of articles. What you posted is not new news and I feel it keeps people informed. I appreciate you taking the time to post something that may be relevant to many members. Most articles I have read seem slanted towards people competing in another venue and thus, I read them with a bit of skepticism.
        Last edited by tbob4; January 6, 2020, 10:11 PM.

Nate Good points. Also, these not-for-profits with a board of directors is a poor business model. The BOD is usually not skilled, knowledgeable about the issues, and often have their own agendas.

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree completely... there is a very fine line of moving your organization forward while not forgetting who you are, where you came from, and why you formed. It is not an easy balancing act.

“Elaine: Ugh, I hate people.
      Jerry: Yeah, they're the worst. ”

Comment

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Seinfeld for President 2020

I have been a KCBS judge for about 5-6 years. I knew things were happening, not all this. Locally, a couple long time representatives quit with no explanation we would hear. Events are down here locally, and I think worldwide, but here it is very noticeable. 5 years ago I judged 12 contests and didn't get in or even sign up for all the events within my range. Last year, I got 5 events in with just a few that I missed.
      There were elections recently, the new board members seem to be pretty good, with experience that could turn it around. It is also possible that interest has just gone down.

Comment

• LDimick
        LDimick commented
        Editing a comment
        My observation from a really far away perspective is that it seems like the same people are winning all of the time and the winning recipes are not what the every day BBQ'r will use. I keep reading too many comments like, "This is the recipe I compete with but I wouldn't serve this at home."

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        LDimick I seen/heard that MANY times! I don’t compete, and have no desire to, so "competition recipes" mean nothing to me...especially when prefaced with comments like "I wouldn’t serve this at home." Then who cares?

Expenses are higher than revenues, numerous lawsuits, and many can’t be reached for comment.
      It seems the attorneys are making money though.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Is it really necessary to rag on attorneys here? I'm sure I'm not the only one, BTW

David E. Waterbury, Attorney at Law.

• Butchman
        Butchman commented
        Editing a comment
        Just an observation of the story, lighten up Francis half of my family are attys.

I don't compete, but have been on BBQ sites and listened to the BBQ Central Show for about a decade. From what I hear LDimick is about dead on with the other half of the problem. I think the first half being like others described, growing too fast, new people with their own agendas, etc.

As I learned to BBQ better and stepped away from a couple other hobbies, I was thinking about competing. As I read and listened more, I only heard the same names over and over. Then you'd hear about the setups these guys run with their fully equipped toy haulers with 3-4 very high end grills, cooking Wagyu briskets for every competition, etc. Then I paid closer attention to what the winners were saying in interviews and heard the same comments as LDimick that they'd never make the same thing in their restaurant or at home.

I decided that I didn't have the money, time, energy or storage space to even consider competing. I have no desire to try to learn recipes that are to appeal to KCBS judges only. I do hope they figure it out. The new CEO might have the right personality to pull it off. However, it might be one of those things that just has lost it's appeal as more and more people have learned to make BBQ at home. When I was growing up, I didn't know anyone that had a smoker. Now it seems like almost everyone I know does.

They are a funny organization, if the story is true they changed the pork category to butts only after this recipe won all the time - AND you should try it if you haven't, it's quite good:https://three-little-pigs-bbq.com/wo...rk-tenderloin/

If they want to continue to appeal, they probably need to move to supplying the meat as part of the entry fee, etc. However, I cannot imaging how much work that would create for each local organizer, trying to get that much identical meat of four different types.

Comment

Originally posted by glitchy View Post
        They are a funny organization, if the story is true they changed the pork category to butts only after this recipe won all the time - AND you should try it if you haven't, it's quite good:https://three-little-pigs-bbq.com/wo...rk-tenderloin/
        That does sound good and I'll try it but this line cracked me up:

"..add two small chunks of wild cherry–flavor wood.."

Not the farmed cherry. Not even if it's free range. And not actual wild cherry wood... WILD CHERRY-FLAVOR wood.

Yes, I know what they meant. It's just... precious.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Who knows, maybe they use Traeger Wild Cherry...Alder infused with Wild Cherry Pepsi for flavor.

LDimick How right you are. I dunno if you folks are aware that we have been beefing (ahem) up our competition section and we now have good recipes for all the meats https://amazingribs.com/bbq-and-grilling-competitions

And absolutely correct on how different they are from home cookin https://amazingribs.com/bbq-and-gril...q-competitions

Also, we have an interview with the new KCBS CEO Emily Detwiler exclusive for members here https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...rbeque-society

Comment

• LDimick
          LDimick commented
          Editing a comment
          I wonder if her current employer will be coming in to buy them out as a white knight to save the group and promote their products. Wouldn't be the first time and may not be all bad. A ton of goodwill and a ton more of marketing.

They can be the exclusive meat provider of the competitions, etc.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I have a cousin who, with a friend that retired from owning a BBQ restaurant, entered a competition awhile back. They came in dead last, but they were allowed to sell what wasn't needed for the competition. He said they sold out, while the other teams sold next to nothing.

Comment

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Perhaps they didn’t use "competition recipes?"
          Most of them seem to be geared to one/first bite only...and not something most people would actually want to eat. Thus their losing...and therefore later being able to sell their more palatable stuff.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          surfdog, they used what the guy sold at his restaurant before he retired. Thus the loss, I guess.

As we say here in Colorado...Just Smoke and Be Happy!

Comment

Thanks for sharing this story in this forum. It was also shared to the KCBS Certified BBQ Judges forum on Facebook, but the discussion there is less cordial as the defenders of KCBS were pretty vocal about their disagreement with the story.

KCBS has issued their own response to the KCUR article on their website.

Comment

I have talked with several people about the matter and it appears to me that the local reporters for KCUR did not get the full story. There is a very complicated string of disputes among the Board of Directors, former marketing agencies, fired employees including a fired CEO, real estate deals, declining membership, departed sponsors, and more. I have read the official KCBS response which corrects some of the KCUR errors, but of course does not tell the whole story. I think I have heard the whole story from 30,000 feet, and that is not enough for me to go into any depth lest I pass along more misinformation. Bottom line, I am optimistic that Emily Detwiler, the new CEO, understands the issues, and has the skill to get KCBS back on the path. Let's hope so.

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Is our very own CandySueQ still heavily involved with KCBS?

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here