Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does it all work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does it all work?

Hello everyone,

I'm considering taking my backyard skills to the competition level and was hoping to get some questions answered here before I do.

First of all, what is the "process" one must go through when choosing a name? I mean, I don't want to name my team something that's already being used so how do I find out what's out there already or is it just pick out a name and hope you don't end up at the same competition as someone else with the same name?

Depending on the answer to the previous question, if I have to come up with a unique name for my team, do I need to register it so someone else doesn't use it?

Finally, currently I'm not considering marketing my own products, but if I decide to do so should I make sure I choose a unique name and register as a business in my state (also depending on the answers to the first two questions).

Thanks in advance to any advice you can pass along, too.

Not talking from experience here, but a Google search of your proposed name should give you an idea. In my days online it seems most BBQ teams have an online presence, so Google should ferret them out for you - if the name exists already.

Comment

I have no input other than: Good luck, beat them all and let us know how.

Comment

First off join the Kansas City Barbeque Society https://www .kcbs.us/ They will be able to answer most of your questions since they control most of the contests in the US. They have classes and other help on line. They keep track of names also.

As far as selling things this is governed by the state and you will need to find what department governs it in your state. Try talking to local honey and jam sellers.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; October 16, 2019, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• ccweir
          ccweir commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking I’d start with the SCA and IBCA as the contests will be closer to home. If things go well I’ll add the KCBS later on. But great advice... thanks!

Register your trade name with your state Secretary of State. Also try to buy the dot com domain name thru a registrar like GoDaddy.com.

Comment

• ccweir
          ccweir commented
          Editing a comment
          Great idea! I own a couple of businesses and numerous domain names already so why didn’t I think of that? Thanks!

File a DBA and spend the $ 20.00 to publish it, making it legal. You then own it and can use it as an alias for bank accounts, etc. Having a bank account for your DBA will make a lot of what you do for fun potentially tax deductible, but you have to show a profit within a fixed time period (which I think is usually 5 years).

Comment

• ccweir
          ccweir commented
          Editing a comment
          More great advice! I’m all for tax deductions! Thanks!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I was going to say the same thing. That's what I did with my BBQ business name. But correct me if I'm wrong doesn't that only hold to your state? Doesn't a person have to register a trademark to prevent anyone nationwide or worldwide from using it? I don't really know myself I guess just wondering

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee yes unless you register a corporation. Favorites for that are Nevada and Delaware, not requiring residency. Products require trademarks. I'm working on Fyre Devil wood and charcoal fuel management products. I don't like the logos graphics came up with - they look like they should be mudflaps on a 350 dually.

ccweir be very very careful of setting up a business as a competition BBQ Team. Unless your other businesses have something to do with food service where you can write it off as an expense. Then the IRS will look at you as a "Hobby Business". The IRS will look at you and if you not turn a profit after three or five years they will not be happy with you. Many years ago when I did a "Hobby Business" it was five years but I think they changed to three years. Check on it.

Comment

• ccweir
          ccweir commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think I want to turn it into a business yet. Perhaps down the road if I decide to do some spices/rubs and/or sauces, but for now I just want to register a name and I don't plan on it being a corporation. I think a DBA is the way to go.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here