Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top tips for first KCBS competition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it and learned somethings at the event. Next you know we will be enjoying photos of your awards😀

• Smoke Trails BBQ
    replied
    Thanks everyone, it went really well and I learned a lot. Thanks for all the tips!

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    OK, we get it ComfortablyNumb and Nate MS ticked off some people, he has apologized to us and coming here to blast him doesn't seem to help much with keeping a friendly atmosphere. As mentioned before, if you don't like what someone is posting just put them on your IGNORE LIST. I have over 20 people on another forum I frequent. It really helps my day.

• Nate
    commented on 's reply
    ComfortablyNumb , that must be how one ends up with nearly 800 posts in less than 3 months!

• ComfortablyNumb
    commented on 's reply
    Ah, I see, you just repeat what others post because you want to make sure someone sees what they posted, not because you don't read what others post. So can we expect you to repeat in every thread, or is this one special? Oh, and sorry if you thought I was being snide, I'm used to seeing a '+1' or an 'I agree with so-and-so', not just a blatant repeat of what someone posted as if you didn't read it. I guess I just didn't realise the depth of your concern. A terrible mistake on my part.

• Nate
    commented on 's reply
    That is hilarious since it is coming from the person who can’t help but make snide rude condescending remarks anytime he doesn’t agree with anyone lmao 😂

• mountainsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    This site has so many places to find info I just mentioned it to make sure he had seen it. No need for the snide remarks.

• Nate
    commented on 's reply
    ComfortablyNumb , right? lol

• Woodson
    commented on 's reply
    Judging class taught me I was under seasoning my product, as are many other competitors nervous about over-seasoning. No longer, and I’m taking regular walks up on stage.

• ComfortablyNumb
    commented on 's reply
    I wonder why randy56 didn't think of that.

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    Go to the Channels section and down toward the bottom there is a section called Competition Berbeque. I would take a gander at it.

Leave a comment:

• Mark V
    replied
    Take a judging class and judge a few events. Learn what judges look for. You can see then what others turn in, see what you are up against.

Leave a comment:

• randy56
    replied
    Go to the channels page on here page down till you find BBQ competitions, Meeting spot for all the Competition Barbecue Pitmasters. Foil not included! There is already some great discussions and tips. Good luck, learn all you can in advance, Do cooks at home. Before your contest.

Leave a comment:

• Woodson
    replied
    One more worth mentioning. You are going to attract people who want to come "help" and or eventually join YOUR team. Make sure they know you’re the boss, but give creative freedom once the help proves himself or herself to be more than just a laborer.

In doing this, I make sure all the equipment is mine. I’m not a control freak, but hear me out. I’ve seen teams arguing over nonsense like, "that’s my Weber lid, thermapen, generator, or whatever." Should a disagreement cause a partnership to dissolve, be sure nothing walks off. I tell my helpers to bring welding gloves only. Nothing else. And at the end of the show, there is no questioning in who’s trailer the stuff belongs. I have never had a problem with this, but I’ve seen it. Some unreliable person doesn’t show up, and this person was supposed to bring the chicken!!!!!! Now you have problems.

I'm not saying don’t partner with anyone, but just be damn sure whoever is coming and bringing whatever is actually coming. Easy solution, own it all, buy all meats, pay all the fees. If you win the big check, you can decide to cut people in on it at what percentage or whatever. But most teams starting out need equipment. So just be clear with any helpers upfront about what happens if you win the big check.

I swear I'm done, except this photo of me getting a check 🤠
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Mark V
    commented on 's reply
    There is actually a team here in MN that is Shiggin n Grinnin. Most teams I see have at least 3 smokers, many are drums. You need to be able to set them up at different temps at different times and with different woods.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here